Don't Settle to Be Less than the Best - An Essay

Aug 31, 2007
Well, I wanted to write an essay on magic. I feel I've learned enough over my experiences in magic and life to really be able to reach out to help others. So what better way to do it than to write about it? I chose this topic because I want everyone to be encouraged to try their hardest, and succeed.

I hope you enjoy the essay. :cool:

Don’t Settle to be Less than the Best

Who are the best? How did they become the best? Do you think they just figured there would always be someone better, and simply gave up? Ask yourself these questions. I’ll bet if you’re reading this, you want to improve your magic. Well, you can. All of the greats – Houdini, Copperfield, Keller, Burton, and SO many more – didn’t get to where they are today by dumb luck. They wanted to be the best. They wanted to be remembered throughout the years, even after their children, their children’s children, and their children’s children’s children had died. I’ll bet anything that they didn’t settle to be less that the best.

As a magician, your goal is to entertain others. I’ll tell you right now that your performance will go as far as YOU want to take it. All you need is that desire to be the best. When I was a little kid, I was a big soccer player. Before every game, my dad would ask me the same question – “Where you’re playing out there, who gets the ball?” At first, I didn’t know the answer. He told me that the person who gets the ball is the one who wants it the most. If you don’t want the ball and don’t have that desire to blast it into the back of the net, there’s no way you’ll ever get it. Back then, I didn’t think much of that simple statement. But now I’ve realized that it applies to much more than soccer. It applies to everything, including magic. If applies to LIFE. You’ve got to be hungry. You need the desire to be the next Dai Vernon. Without that desire, it’s never going to happen.

So, what do I want you to take from this essay? I want you to finish knowing that the sky is the limit. So get up and start practicing, because you can be the best. There’s an opportunity for something big in front of you. Ever heard the Latin phrase “Carpe diem”? It means “seize the day.” Take this chance you have to be the best magician possible. You CAN do it, but only if you really want to deep down inside. Again, this isn’t just about magic. It’s about life. You may want to be a professional magician. You may want to be a sports star. You may even want to be the world’s greatest basket weaver. No matter what you want to do, you can take it as far as you want to.

Lewis Grizzard once said, "Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes." I challenge you to be that lead dog. Jump up to the top of the pack. Don’t settle to be less than the best. The best can be you, but only if you want it.

Sep 4, 2007
I totally agree. This also applies. My dad tells me that my grandfather told him this. Now my dad tells me (like 100000 times lol), "What ever you want to do go ahead. If you want to be a garbage man then be a garbage man. But be the best garbage man there ever was." Says the same thing though. :D

Nov 20, 2007
Thanks for sharing

That is a nice essay. I thought it was very funny when you said...

"When I was a little kid, I was a big soccer player. Before every game, my dad would ask me the same question – “Where you’re playing out there, who gets the ball?” At first, I didn’t know the answer. He told me that the person who gets the ball is the one who wants it the most."

I ahve played soccer my whole life and my dad use to say the same thing to me almost word for word very funny. Anyways thanks for sharing.

Aug 31, 2007
That is a nice essay. I thought it was very funny when you said...

"When I was a little kid, I was a big soccer player. Before every game, my dad would ask me the same question – “Where you’re playing out there, who gets the ball?” At first, I didn’t know the answer. He told me that the person who gets the ball is the one who wants it the most."

I ahve played soccer my whole life and my dad use to say the same thing to me almost word for word very funny. Anyways thanks for sharing.
That's pretty funny. Are you sure you're not me? :p

Thanks for all of the positive responses! :)

Dec 2, 2007
My French class got pretty much this essay in speech form today; eerie! But very good, thanks mate.

It's true, that to achieve a goal you must believe in yourself. But not EVERYONE can be the best, only a select few will actually become, THE BEST. Someone can believe in themselves all they want, they can want to be the best all they want, but that only goes so far. The magician must gain experience and knowledge to truly become the best... and I don't think any of us here are, THE BEST, so we can't truly give our own input on how to become the best.

We can give our input on how to improve, but not on how to be the best.

Good inspiring post though.

Mitchell

agreed nice essay. Hunger. I think most people have the HUNGER but don't know what to do with it. Sure i can try to be the best there ever was, but what makes me that? How do I get from A to B?

Now my cheesy story:
I once heard a story about the cho-cho train that wand tot be the best. He wanted to be and tried to be. He chugged and chugged up the hill. "I think I can I think i can!" Slowly, he began falling backwards. "I think I can!" Well the cheesy story comes to a close on sure hope for and think and strive to be what you want. YES!. BUt find the plan of action.

That's the thing to remember in this: plan of action to be the best.

Good essay. More people should write these.

Aug 31, 2007
It's true, that to achieve a goal you must believe in yourself. But not EVERYONE can be the best, only a select few will actually become, THE BEST. Someone can believe in themselves all they want, they can want to be the best all they want, but that only goes so far. The magician must gain experience and knowledge to truly become the best... and I don't think any of us here are, THE BEST, so we can't truly give our own input on how to become the best.

We can give our input on how to improve, but not on how to be the best.

Good inspiring post though.

Mitchell

Thanks for the input. My point is basically that if you have the highest, top of the line desire and WORK ETHIC (which is in caps because of it's importance), you can achieve anything. :)

agreed nice essay. Hunger. I think most people have the HUNGER but don't know what to do with it. Sure i can try to be the best there ever was, but what makes me that? How do I get from A to B?

Now my cheesy story:
I once heard a story about the cho-cho train that wand tot be the best. He wanted to be and tried to be. He chugged and chugged up the hill. "I think I can I think i can!" Slowly, he began falling backwards. "I think I can!" Well the cheesy story comes to a close on sure hope for and think and strive to be what you want. YES!. BUt find the plan of action.

That's the thing to remember in this: plan of action to be the best.

Good essay. More people should write these.

Thank you. Nice story. ;)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results