Double Lifts

Hi there all,
I have been into doing magic since 2005 and got into street magic dvd´s and others got myself self to a nice level (if I can say that!)...thing is I am a couple of years out of practice and would like to ask if any one has any drills and/or exercises to follow.
At the moment I practice by double lifting my way through a pack, reversing them as I go, and try to count how many times I pick up one or three..Obviously, I practice shuffles and cuts, too. The pass, I have yet to make slient and smoother
Is this the right way to practice?? Can anyone help me with these sessions?
sincerley
Jimi

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
You seem to have a pretty good practice routine.
I'd say, there is no right or wrong way to practice, as long as what you are practicing has been taught properly. The old addage, perfect practice makes perfect, springs to mind.

From which resource did you learn your pass, if you don't mind my asking?

CL

thing is, I adapted my double lift from various things on dvds, it seems to be working. BUT it still doesn´t come out 100% of the time..practice makes perfect, no?
I got the pass on the Ninja series and also have the Ambitious card from the same makers...
Thanks for your reply

Dec 29, 2008
Singapore
If I may ask, what dvds are you using for double lifts? Further, do you practice strike double or double with a break? I'm currently looking into double lifts, and I haven't got a good source for strike double. The strike I am using now is completely self taught, and I think has numerous weak points.

As for pass, maybe you can consider looking into Erdnase or Dai Vernon. I personally think Vernon's is superb. I have the Ninja series too, and I think Vernon's will be a very powerful addition/improvement to the ones taught on Ninja.

-Dennis-

Sep 1, 2007
You can't go wrong with Greg Wilson's Double Take DVD for all things double lift. Yes, he does teach the strike double on there as well :)

Cheers,
David.

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
I got this technique from David Stone's book. Use tally marks.

Ex: 200 double lift, no flash
each time you get one perfet double lift, give yourself a tally mark.

Hi there SeraphSigma, I have the ellusionist dvds, The ambitous card dvd and crash course have sections on double lifts but they hold a break, I guess I am doing strike double lifts as I hold no breaks..
I still have weak points too...I try to get 20 or 30 double lifts without lifting one or three cards..practice, pratice..I am also using an oldish deck...should I use a new one?

Jan 18, 2009
Hi there SeraphSigma, I have the ellusionist dvds, The ambitous card dvd and crash course have sections on double lifts but they hold a break, I guess I am doing strike double lifts as I hold no breaks..
I still have weak points too...I try to get 20 or 30 double lifts without lifting one or three cards..practice, pratice..I am also using an oldish deck...should I use a new one?

yes!! wen i practiced the strike double(still am) older cards stick and make it much harder to push over two cards

Dec 29, 2008
Singapore

Hi Jimijas. I got the E dvds too. While they're good (and push-off is tough) I find myself in some situations where people ask to see the top card again. As such I am trying to switch to a strike double. But I didn't find much information on strike. I will probably try to import Double Take or something.

As of the strike I am practicing now, I find it being slightly angle sensitive, at least people who are really sharp will catch something. =(

Sep 1, 2007
Based on your last post, I'd say that the sooner you stop looking for a new technique and start refining the ones you've got, the faster you'll get to where you want to be.

Different double lift techniques are toys for magicians to play with, and everyone has a favourite toy. For spectators however, the vast majority of DL techniques, executed correctly of course, all shuold appear to do the same job - turning the top card over. If spectators are not fooled by the DL you're using at the moment (and hence asking to see the top card again) then the fault is not with the "technique" but with your execution.

This may not even be a skill thing - you might execute the move perfectly - it might be that you're telegraphing the move by tensing up, stopping your patter, staring at the cards, changing the natural rhythm of your actions, feeling guilty or some other "tell". Film yourself and review the footage - see if you can identify any of these giveaways.

Finally, I return to my recommendation of the Greg Wilson DVD - if you learned the DL from E DVDs then you're missing out on a lot of detailed instruction and options for the DL - perhaps you'll find a new favourite toy.

Cheers,
David.

Dec 29, 2008
Singapore
Well I guess it's pretty true that I'll stop looking. Haha. I'm pretty much fixated on the strike double. As for seeing it again. I figured it was because I was rather nervous then, and turned it over too quickly. However sometimes I do meet tough customers. But basically I am looking into the various different ways of doing DLs and squaring them with how layperson would turn over the top card. I'm hoping to use something that would appear very plain and simple.

And as for Greg Wilson, yes, I do intend to get my hands on it. I think there are way more to the DLs than I know at the moment. Personally I think DLs, being so commonly used, are essential and should thus be perfected. Therefore the big interest into the various forms available. And I do find that E stuff are good for starting, but once I get into the nitty gritty stuff it would be insufficient. However, I still think they provide a good platform to start with.

Cheers,

Dennis

Sep 1, 2007
Asking how a layperson would turn over the top card of the deck is like asking what women want. Its a question that fails to account for the individuals! Everyone is different, and I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of laypeople do not have some kind of preconceived idea of how the top card of the deck should be turned over - so it shouldn't matter too much to us as magicians.

Now there are limits - for instance, doing all your doubles by flipping them several feet in the air is probably not the best idea as it will contrast dramatically with your audience's experience. However, so long as your DL looks natural for YOU, I don't think the question of duplicating a typical layperson's lift is all that important. I actually use a variety of DL's when I perform, mostly based on what works best for the trick I'm doing - sometimes a quick, snappy turnover is good for a surprise revelation, whereas a casual strike double is more appropriate for showing a card which isn't supposed to be important.

Cheers,
David.

Dec 29, 2008
Singapore
It is true that to most people they would not notice how a DL is turned over. But there are always people who are very skeptical about things. Perhaps it is just my luck or my presentation. But I still do fancy doing something that seems pretty normal to lay people. I guess we can pretty much sum that up as personal preference. And no, nothing so dramatic as what you mentioned.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
cool technique that i use is to not make doubles look like singles, but make singles look like doubles. that way you always have consistency. if you do a flashy double, do a flashy single, just always make the single look like a double. it is good advice should any of you choose to take it.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
cool technique that i use is to not make doubles look like singles, but make singles look like doubles. that way you always have consistency. if you do a flashy double, do a flashy single, just always make the single look like a double. it is good advice should any of you choose to take it.

hes right, i have a hard time doing that.
Doing a strike double one way, and turning over a single another way.
They should both be the same.

nice thought

D21400

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
Based on your last post, I'd say that the sooner you stop looking for a new technique and start refining the ones you've got, the faster you'll get to where you want to be.

Different double lift techniques are toys for magicians to play with, and everyone has a favourite toy. For spectators however, the vast majority of DL techniques, executed correctly of course, all shuold appear to do the same job - turning the top card over. If spectators are not fooled by the DL you're using at the moment (and hence asking to see the top card again) then the fault is not with the "technique" but with your execution.

This may not even be a skill thing - you might execute the move perfectly - it might be that you're telegraphing the move by tensing up, stopping your patter, staring at the cards, changing the natural rhythm of your actions, feeling guilty or some other "tell". Film yourself and review the footage - see if you can identify any of these giveaways.

Finally, I return to my recommendation of the Greg Wilson DVD - if you learned the DL from E DVDs then you're missing out on a lot of detailed instruction and options for the DL - perhaps you'll find a new favourite toy.

Cheers,
David.

What's the name of that DVD?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results