Double Undercut Subtlety

Aug 31, 2007
NOTE: The following is explained from a right-handed perspective.

Like the double lift, the double undercut is one of those moves that every card conjurer MUST know. It is a very easy sleight to do, and it is very deceptive to the untrained eye.

Anyhow, I learned to do the double undercut by holding my right hand stationary, and cutting the packets to the top of the deck by using my left hand. I think this is the way that most people do it, and it's the way that I've always seen it explained. But lately, I've noticed that it appears much more deceptive (at least to me) if you actually hold your LEFT hand stationary, and then swing your right hand out and under the left hand packet (Of course, you'll need to do this twice to complete the double undercut.).

Does anyone else do it this way, or have any thoughts on this small subtlety?

Aug 31, 2007
*clap clap clap*

Tyler Wilson (if I am not wrong) on the Clog also mentions such a point and says that moving the right hand is more natural than moving the left hand.

For me, I went down the middle and move both hand simultaneously, in sort of a soft, swing-down motion.

- harapan. magic!

*clap clap clap*

Tyler Wilson (if I am not wrong) on the Clog also mentions such a point and says that moving the right hand is more natural than moving the left hand.

For me, I went down the middle and move both hand simultaneously, in sort of a soft, swing-down motion.

- harapan. magic!

you're right. Tyler Wilson did write that up on his Clog. I love that guy, he all jokes.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
So you're saying you hold the cards in a biddle grip and swing cut the cards twice? Sorry... That's all I got from what I read. That would be an easier, more convincing way to execute that sleight.

-Matt

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
Yeah, Tyler Wilson posted this up a while ago. Well done for coming up with it though.

I'd say it's a minor point, and should really only be worried about after other sleights have been properly addressed.

But yes, it can be more deceptive, yet it can also be a lot more unnatural. If you want to use the Double Undercut, make sure it's smooth as silk, otherwise it's all out the window.

Ty

Aug 31, 2007
So you're saying you hold the cards in a biddle grip and swing cut the cards twice? Sorry... That's all I got from what I read. That would be an easier, more convincing way to execute that sleight.

-Matt

You're still cutting two packets of cards off of the bottom of the deck, but instead of placing each packet then on top of the deck, you are actually swinging the rest of the deck out and underneath each packet as you hold it stationary in your left hand.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
You're still cutting two packets of cards off of the bottom of the deck, but instead of placing each packet then on top of the deck, you are actually swinging the rest of the deck out and underneath each packet as you hold it stationary in your left hand.

Ok, I think I got it now.

Thanks.

Aug 31, 2007
Uhh the hand that's not moving is holding the packet in "Biddle Grip"
You should know your sleights.

Incorrect; the hand that MOVES is holding the packet in Biddle Grip. The left hand, which cuts the two packets off of the bottom, stays STATIONARY.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I think this sounds like a great idea, but is there any way you could post a video of it? Not an actual explanation, but just a performance of it. Because I am right handed with cards (I think), and if I'm holding the break with my left pinkie, and am taking packets off the top to put on the bottom, I can't get them under the left hand packet without disturbing the break. Help please and thank you.

Oct 13, 2007
I would find a video of both versions very helpful, too.
But I got another question on the double undercut. How do you hold your break? Pinky or Thumb?

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I talked to Garrett over MSN about this move, and it's actually a great subtelty, just hard to describe over the 'net. With Garrett's permission, of course, I wil post a video of both moves later tonight. As for the kind of break, you start with a pinky, then during the actual move you transfer to a thumb.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results