Draven Reviews: Coin Thru Nose by Tyler Sutter

attachment.php

Title: Coin Thru Nose
Artist: Tyler Sutter
Producers: Magic Estate
Retail Price: $35.00
Learning Difficulty: Easy-ish
Length of DVD: 1 hour 45 minutes
Notes: The method for doing this effect is easy to learn, however there is a bell curve that is inherent with everyone’s individual bodies that could make this difficult to impossible depending on the individual.

Features:
• Play Standard
• Scene Selection
• Play Close Up
• Scene Selection

I’m no stranger to geek magic. I am especially no stranger to things either coming out of or going into my nose. Having performed stunts like the Block Head and Popcorn Kernel from Eye for years when I saw the trailer for Coin Thru Nose I knew I had to get my hands on a copy.

The effect is pretty simple really. You sign a coin, get the spectator to sign a coin, you either swallow it or slam it into your eye socket (depending on which version you’re doing), then you work it down and out your nose. You can hand the signed coin back to them for a keep sake if you really wanted to, but eww gross!

Please allow me the opportunity to put some words of warning in this review before I go any further with it. Kids do not do this at home. If you are under the age of 18 just skip this trick. If you are over 18, legally you’re accountable for your own actions so if you end up hurting yourself it’s your own damn fault. I’m not a fan of teaching geek stunts through home study with a DVD because of the invasive nature of most of it. Things can go wrong. Things will go wrong. So if you’re serious about learning this trick please just understand that you are putting foreign objects into your body, and there is an inherent risk that comes with doing so. If you are uncomfortable with risk of personal injury or harm then don’t do this trick.

There is a learning curve that comes with this stunt. Some people will find it easier than others to learn how to get the quarter to come out of your nose. Some people, due to how you’re head’s built, may have an easier time with it than others. Some people may have to try doing this several times before their eyes stop watering and it feels natural, others may be able to do this from the start. This really is one of those tricks that you don’t know how you’ll react to it until you’ve tried to do it for yourself. Despite the calculated risk that goes along with pulling a quarter out your nose so long as you follow the safety tips and advice on the DVD you should be fine.

The instructions on the DVD are top notch. This is obviously a stunt Tyler has spent a long time honing. He spends over an hour with you going over all the details you need to know in order to perform this stunt safely. For a geek stunt surprisingly there’s a lot of sleight of hand involved. Normally with geek magic what you see is what you get. The dude really swallows the sword. The chick is really walking on broken glass, that mouse trap on his tongue… yeah that’s real, so for there to be some trickery and misdirection to pull this stunt off is a bit out of the normal. Not saying that carny’s aren’t above using a little trickery to con you. Not in the least. If anything it’s right in the vein of what being a carny is all about. Fortunately the sleight of hand you’ll need is minimal. If you can false transfer then you can perform Coin Thru Nose.

Performing this is so much fun. The reactions you get are priceless. People really have nowhere to go when you pull that coin out of your nose and it’s signed. It fries them. It freaks them out, and they really don’t know whether to clap or run away in terror. It’s priceless! I’ve been doing this as sort of a blow off to my usual Block Head routine and dear god does it slay. The minute I started to sniffle I had one girl start to lose her stuff, and then when I put the forceps into my nose she ran away and wouldn’t come back until after everything was put away.

The DVD also teaches an alternative close up handling using a dime that you apparently rub into your eye socket and then work down into your nose allowing it to drop out of your nose into your hand. Admittedly I’ve not performed this one yet, but playing around in the home with it I like using a small plate instead of my hand because the audible clink sound the coin makes when it drops just cements it for me. With the alternative handling you have the choice of performing it with a signed coin or a non signed coin. Either way you’re going to fry the audience but I personally feel anytime you can have something signed it just plays that much stronger. So it’s worth learning the signed version.

Overall I really enjoyed Coin Thru Nose. I think it has some powerful visual appeal, and as far as geek magic is concerned it’s certainly a crowd pleaser. If you like doing this type of material then you’re going to love Coin Thru Nose! I highly recommend it.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 8
Good price, and great effect.

Teaching Quality: 8
Well taught, and all safety concerns are fully addressed.

Video & Sound Quality: 9
Great video and sound! I was even cringing during the part where the coin was coming out of the nose because the mic picks up the grunting bodily sounds so well.

Overall Quality: 8
Not for someone under the age of 18, but if you’re an adult and you like geek magic then you need to own this DVD.

Have a product you want reviewed? Want to see if it will stand up to the Draven Seal of Approval? Contact me directly at draven@williamdraven.com to find out how your product could be on the next Draven Reviews!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results