Title: Silk Thru Phone

Artist: Jeimin

Producers: Magic Artist

Link: Available At Your Favorite Murphy’s Magic Dealer

Demo Video Link:

Retail Price: $15.00 USD

Learning Difficulty: Easy

Length of Video: 4:35

I love silk magic. I think it’s beautiful, it’s visual, and in modern shows under used. I’m a huge fan of McBride’s BEKOS, so when I saw the demo video of Silk thru Phone I knew that I had to get this. Borrow a phone, put a silk thru it, instant miracle. Boy am I glad the effect plays well because the props received would make anyone do a double take.

What you receive is a 12-inch silk, gimmick, and an online instructional video link. The silk doesn’t feel like it’s an authentic quality silk either. It feels more like a synthetic blend, but what the silk is made out of has no bearing on how it performs for the illusion. The online instructions are short and to the point. No introduction, no history or set up. Another aspect of the online video that I didn’t like is that there is no password protection at all. Anyone with the tutorial link can get access to the video and see how the trick is done, and from there easily replicate the trick for themselves. I predict that Silk Thru Phone will become one of the most ripped off tricks of the year. If it isn’t so already. Last little note on the tutorial video: I get the impression it was shot at home on someone’s cellphone. Very low quality. The gimmick, for what it is, is flimsy too. When I saw the gimmick for the first time I thought “really?” But it does work! More on that in a minute. The construction of the gimmick is simple and would be easy enough to reproduce quickly and inexpensively should it ever fail. So that’s good to know.

Performance-wise this thing is a beast. Ideal on stage, but effective in closeup. Perfect for camera work as the gimmick hides in plain sight and is invisible even at a short distance. The natural characteristics of the phone’s operation when on hides the gimmick from view making this illusion work with even a borrowed phone. It’s almost angle proof too. The only angle you need to worry about is directly behind you, but you can cover that with your body so this is great for street, strolling, parlor, or stage. The reset is damn near instant. You end dirty, but a quick ditch and your good to go. The gimmick is easily palmable, and easy to get rid of.

Over all I’m in love with it. I have big plans to use this as a Segway into or from my Knots Off Silk routine, and for my street busking it gets solid reactions from my crowds! I’m pretty sure even at a low cost of $15 dollars I’m overpaying by about $10 bucks for this trick as the gimmick probably cost them a couple pennies, and the silk maybe a buck or two, but what can you do? I can’t fault them for making a buck. I highly recommend Silk Thru Phone!

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 6

The gimmick is flimsy and the price a bit inflated, but the product works! The gimmick is easily made, and can be created cheaply should it need to be replaced.

Teaching Quality: 4

I’m split on the tutorial. On one hand, it does teach the effect. On the other the production value is utter crap. I’ve seen homemade videos before that have looked better than this.

Video & Sound Quality: 4

Not the best sound or video quality either. I get the impression this was shot on someone’s cell phone.

Overall Quality: 8

This is clearly a case of the performance value of the trick far outweighs the initial skepticism of the reviewer. This thing is a beast and I do recommend it!

Do you have a product you want reviewed? Want to see if it will stand up to the Draven Seal of Approval? Contact me directly at thewilliamdraven@gmail.com to find out how your product could be on the next Draven Reviews! Don't forget to like my blog where all my reviews are posted at www.williamdraven.wordpress.com.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results