Draven Reviews: The Floating Card Trick by Leon Mjolnir

Title: The Floating Card Trick

Artist: Leon Mjolnir

Producers: Leon Mjolnir

Link: http://www.magicshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=146494

Retail Price: $14.99 USD

Learning Difficulty: Easy to Moderate

Length of Video: 54 Minutes (approx)

Notes: Download Only. Some additional items will be required in order to practice/perform.

The Floating Card isn’t a new trick in magic. It’s so commercialized that it’s hard to walk into a toy or novelty store these days without seeing a “UFO/ Hover Card” demo playing on some display screen in the store. Since it’s been so over marketed I think a lot of people tend to forget just how magical seeing a card expertly levitated can be. Who needs David Copperfield when you can just about do the same thing with a simple deck of cards?

Enter Leon. Leon Mjolnir has been performing magic for the past two decades… which must mean he’s a time lord or something because the kid looks like he’s in his early twenties as is. In Leon’s new download he teaches the basic floating card trick but then he elevates it to a new level with some artful displays that are sure to leave your audiences gasping in awe.

One of the nice things about this download is just how low tech it really is. You don’t need to purchase expensive name brand magicians props to do any of the things he teaches. Everything he does is with some common items that you can purchase at just about any craft or fabric store. So you really do get more bang for your buck.

If you’ve never worked with IT before this is a good video to start with. Leon shows you how to set up your IT, how to wear it, and how to carry it around with you. This has a very DIY feel to it, which I know a lot of magicians tend to prefer now days. The moves Leon teaches are very practical and everything comes from a working magicians repertoire. These are the kind of techniques you can rely on when you’re out strolling, table hopping, hanging out on the street, or trying to amaze your friends at the next party you go to. There’s nothing in here that isn’t tried, tested, and proven to work.

The moves Leon teaches are pretty darn cool too. His Off The Top of the Deck Spin, Figure Eight Hoop Spin, and Double Floating Card spin are just visual eye candy. His Kick Spin is a very useful technique to get into a lot of these moves too. If you’ve never worked with IT before Leon teaches you how to toss and catch the card as well as how to stick and unstick the “special stuff” too.

As an extra added bonus Leon also teaches the PK Pen routine as well as his hoping beer cap routine which is really useful for bar magicians. The only downside to the DVD is that the sound seems to be a little quiet. I had to plug in external speakers on my laptop to hear everything okay, and the video is a little dark and gritty.

So overall what did I think of Leon’s “The Floating Card Trick?” With so many products on the market today teaching IT work it’s refreshing to have access to a download that shows you how to do some really visual stunts without having to go out of pocket for expensive magician brand “stuff”. If you’re new to IT work then this is a great place to start. If you’ve been doing IT work for a while then you’re going to love Leon’s flourishing with the floating card. Leon takes such a stock effect and really makes it something special. This is so much more than just a standard hover card. This download is a workshop on some very visual and really fun things to do with floating cards using IT. The pocket space required is minimal, having taken up no more room than a simple mint tin, and this is something that is great as an attention getter or as a closing routine too. Since it’s IT, it’s pretty versatile to how you choose to present it. It can be done surrounded, but lighting maybe a concern. You’ll want to check your lighting conditions before you perform. Other than that The Floating Card is a wonderful little download. I highly recommend it.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 7

Great price, and with it being an instant download there is no waiting in the mail for it to arrive. You’ll need to purchase a few other things though before you can start practicing.

Teaching Quality: 8

Very easy to learn from. Good energy, and flow.

Video & Sound Quality: 4

The video and the sound in this download looks like a student film. Not very high resolution, and the consideration to lighting is nonexistent. The sound levels are inconsistent throughout the video making it distracting at times from the material being presented.

Overall Quality: 8

Overall The Floating Card manages to hover away with a pretty high mark. The magic is solid, the moves are highly visual, and the material in here is broad enough to have something to appeal to the novice as well as the veteran. If you’ve never floated a card before, this is a good video to start with. If you have then this is a good video to look at to improve your moves. It’s a win win.

Have a product you want reviewed? Want to see if it will stand up to the Draven Seal of Approval? Contact me directly at draven@williamdraven.com to find out how your product could be on the next Draven Reviews! Don't forget to like my blog where all my reviews are posted at www.williamdraven.wordpress.com.

Reactions: SamM11432
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results