DVDs and Gimmicks for gigs

Jun 28, 2017
Known Universe
Hi!
I first got interested in magic about 2 years ago and am trying to find good dvds or books that have lots of good variety of tricks to add to my set for a gig.
Any suggestions for dvds/books for that?
Also I am looking at the How To be A Magician dvd by Ellusionist. Does anyone know if its worth the 60 bucks?
Thanks!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is a great place to get a huge variety of tricks for any environment.

But more importantly, what's the theme for your show? If you just try to throw a pile of tricks together and call it a show, it'll look like just that - a series of tricks with no connection.

How to be a Magician is a good kit for a beginner, which is what it was intended for. There's nothing revolutionary in there, but there's a decent variety of card and close up magic and a few prop based tricks that are workable for a variety of situations.

Jun 28, 2017
Known Universe
Thanks!
Mostly Kids birthday parties and resturaunts, as i'm not of age yet. I do have Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and have found lots of great tricks in there. I think most of my problem is i have too many card tricks and not enough variety, but ill look through Wilson's Guide and see if I find some more.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
There's a lot of card tricks out there, so it's easy to be tilted towards that. Just look through Wilson's and ignore the parts with cards. He's got everything in there.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Thanks!
Mostly Kids birthday parties and resturaunts, as i'm not of age yet. I do have Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and have found lots of great tricks in there. I think most of my problem is i have too many card tricks and not enough variety, but ill look through Wilson's Guide and see if I find some more.

Kids shows and restaurants are two very different types of shows requiring different effects and different presentations. For one, you have to keep interest for 30 to 45 minutes by being in front of the group of kids, for the other you have to get in, establish a relationship, perform three tricks and move on leaving them wanting more. Also, performing for kids is very different than performing for adults and kids.

With kids, the type of show will vary depending on the age. I group kids in a couple of age groups: under 5 / 6 to 9 / 10 to 13 / 14 and up. The presentation and magic for each age group is different. For example, Mark Wilson's Bigger Card plays great for the 6 to 9 year olds while the Tic Tac Toe effect just doesn't impress them (but their parents love it -- go figure).

You have to start somewhere, so my first question is what age group do you want to build a show for? Pick one and that will help us direct you to books and DVDs.

Also, what books / DVDs / props do you have now and what is your budget for getting new books, DVDs and props?

Finally, list: 1) your favorite three movies; 2) your favorite three books; 3) your most performed magic tricks; 4) the name of an television or movie character you think you are most like or that you would like to like as a performer.

All of that will give a sense of what you know and where you need to go. If you are not comfortable posting that on the forums, send me a private message.

Jun 28, 2017
Known Universe
Sorry for late reply, was on Independence day trip with family.
The age group I mostly want to add to for my show are 6-9 yr olds.
Props I own: Ping, Svenpad, Sponge Balls, Double layered bag and similar things for kids that age. Also basically every different standard gimmicked decks I know of such as invisible, stripper, full gaff deck, etc.
I own The Worker by Adam Wilber Pt 1 and 2, Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic, Joshua Jay's course in magic book, Jay Sankeys secret files.
Right now I have about 50$ I can spend for props and books.
Most performed tricks are 2 Card monte, short coin routines(soon to be performing ping a lot),Rubik's Cube magic from Steven Brundage, and hard-hitting impromptu card tricks.
Thank you so much for all of the feedback. Joined recently and surprised how helpful theory11 community is.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
OK. A lot of what you have won't work for that age group like Ping, Sevenpad and most card tricks. Mark Wilson's Book is your best resource.

The first step is to change your thinking from quick, visual magic to longer engaging routines. In a show, you have to draw in the audience's attention and keep it. You don't want to give younger kids the ability to be distracted by providing short, disjointed effects.

I would start out by trying to watch two television shows which I think exerpts are availabe from on YouTube.

The first show is Dora the Explorer. If you compare that to prior children's shows you will see two differences. The first is that the various parts of the show are linked together using the map to provide an outline for a story. Prior shows (like Sesame Street) had disjointed short segments. The overall story in Dora keeps the kids attention longer because of foreshadowing of what is going to happen and review of what has already happened. The second difference in Dora is the interaction. You will notice counting, catch phrases ("Swiper No Swiping"), activities (stand up and waive your arms) and different types of interactions. The theory behind the show is from a book called Theories of Multiple Intelligence by Howard Gardner which talks about the different ways people learn. The importance of this is the idea to work toward a variety of interactons with the kids. You have to go beyond the hackneyed "look don't see" and bumbling magician gags to get the kids screaming. That is one hook (the kids see what the magician doesn't) and one reaction (screaming). Work toward multiple types of interactions.

The second show is called the Upside Down Show. The humor there is absolutely wonderful on multiple levels. It is a great demonstration of how to create characters and a theatrical environment just using scripting and personality. The effect of layering multiple levels provides a really engaging experience -- imagine what the addition of magic would do.

Then, and only then, go and watch videos by David Ginn, David Kaye (aka Silly Billy) and Christopher T. Magician. Finally, go and watch Jeff McBride's Miser's Dream video.

All of that together should give you a lot of ideas about your character and the feel of your show. That really is the starting point for deciding what should be in your show.

The next step is to figure out what goes into the show for effects. My recommendation is to start with some of the classics of magic:

Sponge Balls (you already have) (there is great routine in Mark Wilson's book -- just don't point like he does)
Jumbo Deck $15 (for Mark Wilson's Bigger Card and another card trick like cards across or six card repeat)
20th Century Silks $7.50 or Thumb Tip Blendo $7 (get a Vernet Standard Thumb Tip to use with it)
Wizard Hat Tear $10
25 Feet Magician's Rope $7.50 (for a rope routine in Mark Wilson's book)
Spellbinding Boxes $16.97 (Amazon) (one of my favorite effects)
Breakaway Wand $4.50 (best gag ever)

The key is to come up with interesting and engaging presentations. Then I would add some more classics:

Combo Aluminum Cups and Balls $16.50 with Michael Ammar's Videos or Book
Linking Rings (10 Inch) around $35 (MJM Magic) with the L&L World's Greatest Magic Linking Rings Video
Zombie Ball around $35 (Penguin or MJM) with the L&L World's Greatest Magic Linking Rings Video

Your kids show would have a variety of props and would showcase a variety of different skills (which impresses the parents who are paying the bill). Ultimately, you will want to even upgrade those props to a nicer set of cups (check out Rings and Things), a nicer set of rings (ProLine, Porper or Owens) and Zombie (Morressy or Rings and Things) because having nice props gives a very professional feel.

The other option is to look at the effects put out by Silly Billy and David Ginn and the classic children's effects like Run Rabbit Run, Stratosphere and Hippity Hoppity Rabbits. My sense is that those effects look too much like anyone could do them if they had the props.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
David,
Do you think its a bad idea to end your show with a trick that makes candy appear everywhere - like an invisible Pinata?
On one hand the kids go crazy, but on the other hand.... kids go crazy '_'

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
David,
Do you think its a bad idea to end your show with a trick that makes candy appear everywhere - like an invisible Pinata?
On one hand the kids go crazy, but on the other hand.... kids go crazy '_'

Maaz:

I used to end with the magic candy factory (https://www.magictricks.com/candy-factory.html) and the result was that the kids would rush the table I was using for my performance. I don't do that for a bunch of reasons. The first is that the prop looks like something from a magic shop (even with swapping out the bright red cylinder for plain box). The second is that there are lot of allergies these days from nuts to gluten to sugar. It's not worth the hassle of making sure it is OK to give out candy to all the kids. But, the most important thing is what you identified - the total loss of control of the audience. Do you want the last thought the parents (who are paying you and are your source of referrals) have to be a mad rush to the table by the and loss of control (which they as parents will have to reassert to keep the party going)? My preference is to have the show end with the kids giving a standing ovation.

I let the kids know that I'm doing my last effect and that it is something special. I explain that I will take a bow when the effect is over and if they like the magic show they will stand up and clap. I also explain that I need them to pay attention to the story because it answers the question that kids always ask, "why don't you have a rabbit?" That sets the stage for the last effect as something special and draws both the kids and the adults in. The effect is one that is powerful for both the kids and the adults who are watching. The last visual the parents have of the show is the kids giving a standing ovation after I take a bow. My goal is for the parents to think that "wow, this was the type of show you would see in a theatre and I was able to have it in my house for my kid's party).

I think the rationale is even stronger is you are under age 18. You need to appear professional and in control at all times. Every part of your show needs to be practiced and polished. That is the difference between being a kid doing tricks and a young professional magician.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results