Extremely High Standards on Magic

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hello everyone!

EDIT: I have video of the event and it´s edited to last around 1 min... I will share it here until monday, because the client has an official launch date tomorrow, so he doesn´t want anyone to spoil it... be sure to return here on monday to see it!

I have something to share with you... I had an launch event last week... it was the first actual stage show I have since this pand*mic started... so it was nice to perform after almost a year..

I was hired to design a trick with a motorcycle helmet... and let me tell you, it was a pain in the ace... because they wanted for me to levitate out of a box, and if you know helmets, you know they are heavy and it was definitely a challenge for me...

However the day of the actual event it was a freaking nightmare... the "secret" was easily spotted and they were putting something on the stage that I was aware of (like a big screen behind me.. you know so the "secret" jump to the view right away

Needless to say, I was so nervous and stressed for the trick... here is how it was supposed to be:

1.- 12 minutes of the show
2.- 3 minutes to present the helmets (yes... they asked me that week to somehow add another helmet to the show... however I liked it, but the first one HAD to levitate, this is important later)

the whole montage was difficult and I was making changes at the moment, and lots of things that just added to my stress... My asistant insisted that everybody could see the secret because they "knew" it was there... not because they actually see it...

Aside from all that, the client told me they had a horrible experience with a magician years ago, where he went to a launch party and the magician made a mistake and had a MAJOR flash on the trick... so understandably, he was very hesitant to do it with his company.

I am telling you all this, for you to understand the real stress behind a paid, custom gig for an important client and what goes behind the scene.

Anyway, onto the matter of this post.

I was extremely nervous just before my show (because, I was a surprise... no one aside from the staff, knew there was going to be a magic show) and when it was time to perform, I didn´t feel at my 100%, however I was able to go through the "show part" without an issue and everybody seemed to enjoyed it! and when it was time to actually appear the 2 helmets, the first one didn´t levitate as I wanted to, it did levitate but I had some issues. however the second one which I didn´t had to much faith on its appearence STOLE the show!

After the show I went with the client, and very nervously asked what he thought of the whole show... HE LOVED IT, he told me it was awesome, he liked the tricks, the jokes and BOTH helmets appearance! he told me he wanted to keep working and he was going to give me a couple of helmets as a gift later.

Once I got home I was still a little bit angry about the things I didn´t like on the event... but after a lot of thought, I realize that I was able to pull through because of my standards... I have extremely high standards so when I "fail" to meet them... it was still great for a client.

My assistant was right all along, people didn´t see the secret, enjoyed the show and it was great... the stress came from me and me only. because I have an idea and I want to do that idea at perfection... but there is no such thing as perfection... only excellence is possible... so if you have high standards and always strive to reach them, when you fail, because of outside matters, you can still succeed..

Nov 3, 2018
Congrats both on the gig and on pulling it off so well. It looks amazing, especially the second production! Thanks also for sharing the process of creating the show with us, it was a nice glimpse behind the curtain.

PS: Which song did you use in the video?

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Congrats both on the gig and on pulling it off so well. It looks amazing, especially the second production! Thanks also for sharing the process of creating the show with us, it was a nice glimpse behind the curtain.

PS: Which song did you use in the video?

Thank you for your response! indeed, the process of creating a custom magic event is as interesting as the show itself!

the song is by my favorite artist is Unveil by The Anix

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results