False Deals Don't Always Need to be Perfect

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
So I've been messing around with the idea of using a second deal to get the second card into the spectators hands. I have a he deck face up with a blank card on top (facing everyone). I tilt the deck upwards towards me as I gesture to them and have them hold out their hand in a specific way (the other spectator is holding the hand in he right way already, so they will look at that for a second). As they are misdirected, I casually perform a second deal to get the card behind the blank card out.

I was initially looking for alternatives to this, but I soon realized that I don't need one. I by no means have a good second deal, I've only been practicing for a few months. However, I have realized that the reason people need 8 or more years to perfect the second deal is because in a gambling demonstration (or a game), your hands are constantly grilled, since that is the whole idea behind false deals. In a performance that isn't a gambling demonstration, you could use misdirection to your advantage (not for everything, but for a lot of stuff).

I think audience control and misdirection are probably he 2 biggest assets available to us. If we learn to take moves built for people grilling our hands, eg. A Second Deal, and combine it with misdirection, you are left with a virtually undetectable move.

Thoughts?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
So I've been messing around with the idea of using a second deal to get the second card into the spectators hands. I have a he deck face up with a blank card on top (facing everyone). I tilt the deck upwards towards me as I gesture to them and have them hold out their hand in a specific way (the other spectator is holding the hand in he right way already, so they will look at that for a second). As they are misdirected, I casually perform a second deal to get the card behind the blank card out.

I was initially looking for alternatives to this, but I soon realized that I don't need one. I by no means have a good second deal, I've only been practicing for a few months. However, I have realized that the reason people need 8 or more years to perfect the second deal is because in a gambling demonstration (or a game), your hands are constantly grilled, since that is the whole idea behind false deals. In a performance that isn't a gambling demonstration, you could use misdirection to your advantage (not for everything, but for a lot of stuff).

I think audience control and misdirection are probably he 2 biggest assets available to us. If we learn to take moves built for people grilling our hands, eg. A Second Deal, and combine it with misdirection, you are left with a virtually undetectable move.

Thoughts?

I completely agree. This type of a deal is called a neck tie deal and magicians use it all the time. It works.

That said I think we can always work on improving our technique. We can always get better.

If using a neck tie second deal works for you then I'd say that it is more important to get out there and use the move (continually refining it) than it is to wait till the move is so technically perfect it'll fool a hispeed camera.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results