Fame, and the attentions of beautiful women: some thoughts.

Sep 1, 2007
"I've invented a trick, how can I get it released?"

How about inventing a repretoire and releasing a book - that's what most of us are interested in. Something SUBSTANTIAL! Save it for your book/DVD/instant download.

Another point to ponder - did you invent an original EFFECT, or another handling of a classic "magical plot". The chances are that it's the latter - there's almost nothing new under the sun nowadays! You then have to evaluate whether its any better than the rest of the handlings out there, whether it brings anything new to the table...etc, etc.

This means searching out all the previous handlings and having a go at them, seeing where yours fits in. If it turns out that you've taken the effect to another level, then that's awesome - and if you want to release it, for fame, riches and the attentions of beautiful women, then more power to you.

If it's simply a variation - and a good one - then maybe one day it could make it into your book, DVD, ebook or instant download describing a whole bunch of your original effects/handlings/presentations.

Of course, the other outcome here is that you find a superior version of what you're doing out there somewhere in the vastness of what has come before, and even then you STILL win - because now you have the opportunity to present better magic to your audiences.

ALL of my "inventions" are variations, but in my opinion they are good ones - they fit my performing personality, they get great reactions at gigs and they are practical for table hopping. I will never be famous amongst magicians, the beautiful women will turn their attentions elsewhere (with the exception of the one I tricked into marrying me!) - but I have achieved enough by entertaining my audiences. That is what magicians are supposed to do!

I think that the modern trends in magic marketting encourage this attitude of "invent a trick, sell a trick, get the adoration of people just like me". It is extraordinarily difficult to become a pop star, film actor or some other form of worshipful celebrity, so most fans have to settle for merely admiring their idols. However, it seems that being a creator of magic and having your own slickly edited preview videos gains you just as much cred in our small little world as being a pop star and it just seems so much more...achieveable.

And yet, its not just about making something up. These guys have worked very hard to achieve the standards that make them the magicians that they are. Their creations did not happen overnight and I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of what they release to the magical community have evolved through countless performances, peer testing, scrapping, rebuilding, presentational changes...years of effort...into the polished piece that we see at the end of the line. So before you try and find a way to release your invention, ask yourself...is it really up to scratch with that standard yet?

Sep 1, 2007
I wouldn't put yourself down my friend. Creativity is a gift, and even if you are "just" varying a previous effect, you've still managed to put your own unique stamp on it.

Sep 1, 2007
No problem mate.

I didn't mean to be discouraging; I just would like to promote a more thoughtful approach to creativity in magic. A big part of my personal satisifaction comes from being creative with magic - and there's no feeling like performing one of your creations to an enthusiastic response - but everyone seems to be in such a rush to get it out there!

Cheers,
David

Sep 1, 2007
Orlando, FL
I've always loved books: I've read through all of Vernon's works many times and I've read more Marlo than any sane person should. But, in the last three years I've found only three magic books worth reading: Tangled Web by Eric Mead, Designing Miracles by Darwin Ortiz, and Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz. I just picked up Performing Dark Arts by Michael Mangan (which is probably too academic for most) and only two others are on my list to buy: the Cardini and Fogel books.

The problem with books, especially those published anymore, is that they are filled with tons of fluff: a lot is unworkable and even more are variations worse than what's published. Since publishing books has become so easy there's a glut of information. Even many "classic" books fall into this category. Although it's not spoken about openly, many of these classics have had fluff placed in them at the requests of the publishers so that the books would be larger, even if the creators thought the material wasn't worth publishing. This massive heap, if scientific studies are to be believed, actually inhibits learning and makes it harder to decide what to put in your arsenal.

I got into magic at the dawn of the video age, when everyone still filmed in forced studio sessions, and the now veteran L&L audience members were making their debut appearances. Most of the performers and explanations were bad and boring. I fell asleep more times than I can remember. Being improperly taught that more information was better, I thought the idea of one-trick videos was ridiculous ever since L&L started releasing Michael Skinner's Master Teach-In Series in the late 90s.

That's the attitude I maintained until last year. A friend I trust recommended Wayne's Stigmata to me. And, I have to say it changed the way I thought about one-trick video releases. To have a great teacher cover every angle of a trick with you is invaluable and does not translate as well to the book medium. Looking back over most of my collection, I wish some of the performers were still alive to take the two useful tricks in their books and record in-depth videos of them. I think that $50 would have been much better spent than spending it on all the extra fluff that came with their books; being a book lover, this is hard for me to admit.

With the glut of information, having good teachers highlighting a single trick and explaining the ins and outs is invaluable and really the only way to overcome the crap heap that magic publishing has become.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
We need a creativity thread (Yes, I know we have one already, but this one would be different)
In it magicians could basicially talk with each other and invent their own new tricks.
Now it might not be the next Greed or Stigmata, but maybe just some variations on pre-existing tricks, or unique tricks made by the members of the board.

Sep 1, 2007
Never mind a creativity thread - how about a creativity FORUM? One that has a restricted access so only *actual* magicians can enter (the magic cafe has a secret sessions area which you need 50+ posts to enter, does the trick of keeping out the casual lurkers).

It could be a chance to bat around ideas and "online session" with other magicians. Two heads are better than one and all that jazz.

Aaron Shields: I hear what you're saying. People often brag about their massive collection of magic reference, but I prefer quality over quantity. At the same time, the true greats have released books and DVDs chock full of total gems, and while some effects may not be your style or my style, they'll light up someone else. I'm working my way through Bill Malone's DVDs right now, not because I'm going to use a lot of his material, but because watching him perform a variety of material is entertaining and educational. His presentation for spectator cuts to the aces is the best I've ever seen and is going straight into my repertoire. Having a DVD or book may feel like wading through the rubbish to get to the good stuff, but everyone's definition of "good stuff" is different, and in the rubbish you may find a bit of presentation, a good use of a move, a new technique or a plotline that gets your creative juices flowing - and that makes it worth it in my opinion.

My bugbear is not so much with "one trick releases" - although there's plenty of crud out there matching that description too - but with people thinking that that's the point of being a magician. And it is partly because of that attitude that magic publishing - as you so eloquently put it - has become a crap heap. Even a magician as talented and renowned as Jay Sankey is publishing too much, too fast and it shows in the quality of the material and the subsequent damage to his reputation.

Sep 1, 2007
Orlando, FL
Sankey probably epitomizes the crap heap contributor. Sankey maxed out on his creativity in the 90s.

Traditionally magic publishers and dealers haven't really cared about the quality of information. The more the better. That's still the model everyone is still stuck in; it's just way easier to publish now so the quantity is multiplying quickly.

Most people lack educated guesses to evaluate the quality of material; they just don't have the experience yet. And most companies and "creators" prey on this weakness by releasing sludge and getting it to sell.

That's what has me excited about theory11. A talented staff that cares about the quality of instruction and being selective. The combined knowledge should provide the filter so people finding their way in magic won't be suckered into getting the next pipe dream or lackluster variation.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Never mind a creativity thread - how about a creativity FORUM? One that has a restricted access so only *actual* magicians can enter (the magic cafe has a secret sessions area which you need 50+ posts to enter, does the trick of keeping out the casual lurkers).

It could be a chance to bat around ideas and "online session" with other magicians. Two heads are better than one and all that jazz.

Aaron Shields: I hear what you're saying. People often brag about their massive collection of magic reference, but I prefer quality over quantity. At the same time, the true greats have released books and DVDs chock full of total gems, and while some effects may not be your style or my style, they'll light up someone else. I'm working my way through Bill Malone's DVDs right now, not because I'm going to use a lot of his material, but because watching him perform a variety of material is entertaining and educational. His presentation for spectator cuts to the aces is the best I've ever seen and is going straight into my repertoire. Having a DVD or book may feel like wading through the rubbish to get to the good stuff, but everyone's definition of "good stuff" is different, and in the rubbish you may find a bit of presentation, a good use of a move, a new technique or a plotline that gets your creative juices flowing - and that makes it worth it in my opinion.

My bugbear is not so much with "one trick releases" - although there's plenty of crud out there matching that description too - but with people thinking that that's the point of being a magician. And it is partly because of that attitude that magic publishing - as you so eloquently put it - has become a crap heap. Even a magician as talented and renowned as Jay Sankey is publishing too much, too fast and it shows in the quality of the material and the subsequent damage to his reputation.

Ooohhhh great idea.

Sep 1, 2007
Nice post!
I've invented quite a few variations,etc as well.
One that I do think is quite orginal is may way to make the svengali deck examinable,pretty sure it hasn't been thought of before.I'm trying to keep the routine to myself self though.

Well I haven't made up many tricks but when I do they happen upon well mistakes and are completely original. I like to incorporate different moves and sleights not usually used together. That's for cards though anything I do outside of cards is also unique. I don't like making variations because I just see it as diluting (sp?) an effect.

-RA69

Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
Great topic and nice input. cool stuff.

I think another difference we can find is that when we look over the works of the greats in the past, their material are often studies of what has been given available to them, and what happend to be their share of contribution/input to the existing effect..........which is what made such materials great; they serve well as new and test-proof reference for the readers.

most of the materials today however, usually released with the lack of homework done by the "originators" themselves, and most often with the originators ignorant enough to not have realised the similar works that might have already been done by the past magicians.....which is a point stated by Shodan at the beginning.

Plus the efforts paid by such people in going through all the non-technical elements of the effect (presentation pace, style of effect, thinking behind the creation/variation etc.) are often lacked.

This is another reason of why I think the newer materials of today have less and less reference value......it's more of compilation of "money shots" than real solid reference material.

Sep 1, 2007
"Magical Money Shots"

Now there's a brand new market...and quite a scary one at that!

You make an excellent point though. I have learned more useful material from David Regal's DVDs than any others, and the "useful material" in this case aint tricks, but tips on pacing, misdirection, audience management and timing. David can do a simple add-on in such a way as you don't even notice it happening, and learning how to do that has really changed the way I perform magic. Superb reference material in many ways.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results