Fanning cards?

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Hello!

I have looked into most learning sources for fanning but i never got the hang of it.

Now im really want to learn the normal two handed thump fan but im haveing no luck with it.

How did your learning curve look when you stared learning it? How long did it take?

Any overal advice? My fan looks fine in the middle but and the back and top it looks super clumpy.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
All I can say is that this move take a ton of practice. It took me longer than the spring to get perfect. As for the answers to your questions:

My curve looked really, really bad. Just getting the half circle shape took me about a month. This move took me about a month an a half to get perfect and I am still not happy with my left handed one. I made the mistake of learning the fan in my right hand first. This merely creates a blank fan. Do not learn this first.

My advice to you would be to experiment with many different grips as it is a matter of hand size. I personally use my middle finger to pivot the cards. My friend uses his ring. Just experiment. And most of all,

PRACTICE!

-G

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
The thing that makes me confused is that some sources say that you shoud fan the cards with your thumb on top of the deck and other say that you should make the fan with the thumb om the side/corner of the deck.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
When you apply pressure on the top of the deck with your thumb, as you fan, your thumb automatically shifts to the side. I hope this helps a bit.

-G

DON'T GIVE UP!!

It took me around 2/3 months just to get a good fan done. After that it took me about 3 weeks to close it with one hand.

To do a good fan you should play around with what finger you use to push the cards... I personally use my index finger. I put three fingers (index, middle, ring) on the bottom of the face of the cards. I have a massive bevel from the left side. My thumb is on the bottom left angel.

Other people don't use that much of a bevel and therefore can cock back there deck towards their wrist. Or they use a different finger for pushing the deck.

Play around with it... and don't give up, the thumb fan is an important way to make your magic much more impressive.

Apr 6, 2010
By no means do i have this perfect yet and i havent even tried to learn closing it.

However, i learnt how to do it in a few hours, as i applied a lot of the techniques i combined on the pressure fan. Just to clarify, the pressure fan took me about a week of solid practice and i still am a bit skewiff with it.

What i found is the key with any fan though, is the position of your left thumb.

Place it at the middle, and very edge of the bottom side of the deck, and don't hold it too loosely or too tightly.

Another tip i found is to make sure the deck starts as far into the crook between your thumb and fingers as it can go.

And like other before me, i can not reiterate that this will only come to you the more your practice and experiment with positions, the smallest of changes can effect a fan drastically.

Hope that helps.

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
Hello!

I have looked into most learning sources for fanning but i never got the hang of it.

Now im really want to learn the normal two handed thump fan but im haveing no luck with it.

How did your learning curve look when you stared learning it? How long did it take?

Any overal advice? My fan looks fine in the middle but and the back and top it looks super clumpy.
I advise you to check out Andrei Jikh's Genesis vol.1 - he's teaching the most popular fans correctly, gives the tips and etc. And also, as he saids, "the fanning will come with time, don't spend too much time to learn how to fan the cards, it's the secondary thing at all". And I agree with him.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I found the fan is best when the left thumb is on the inner left corner... especially with smaller hands. Middle to inner left.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results