Favorite walk around mentalism effect...

Apr 22, 2009
mentalism? well, I'm an all card guy (trying to get into other magic though). So for me. two easy things:

force a card. reveal in any way my imagination wants. I usually have different predictions for different forces: one card drawn on my arm. One card in my pocket. A written prediction. An envelope placed under a chair ahead of time. (The latter is when I'm at a party and I know I'll be performing while others lounge)

invisible deck. tried and true :)
as for the whole gimmick setback of the trick. I have a normal deck and have them shuffle. put it in pocket. say one card will be face up. take out invisible deck from other pocket. perform. they freak out. i put it back in pocket. say that's enough magic for now (usually lying). they say cmon or please do more. i say, ok ill do a few more. take out normal deck. havent been caught. :D

Apr 22, 2009
true. like maybe switch as I take out a notepad and pen and have them write the card down. Something that's a good reason for reaching in the pocket.

Jan 13, 2008
because they'll just look at it and go "Yeah, you just re-opened the app and saw what I wrote or drew." thus taking away any amazement and making you look like a little kid with a toy.
Except for the fact that they don't write anything down, you do, BEFORE they do anything. All you do is write down a prediction, then place it face down (if you want, or you can exit the program and leave it face up). You have the option of exiting the program when placing it face down, as well. If you do, you can even have THEM scroll to the app and open it again. It really is the equivalent of writing something down on a piece of paper (before the spectator does anything), folding it up, and placing it on the table, then opening up the slip of paper again to show that your prediction matches what the spectator thought of.

Either way, to each their own. :)

Then just fold up some paper in your wallet, because it's so much more direct. I'm talking from a spectators POV on this one, because if I know there is some technology then it is no longer magic just a trick.

Could you really see a magician picking up a iphone or itouch and doing what they call magic? I don't care how fair something is, technology has so many different ways to manipulate and people will be thinking of us later on. You want to astonish for a few minutes or for life?

Just something to think about.

Jan 13, 2008
Then just fold up some paper in your wallet, because it's so much more direct.
And so much more artificial. I don't carry paper in my pocket because that would be just weird. I always have my iPod on me, and in the environment I find myself in most often (a college campus), that's completely normal.

I'm talking from a spectators POV on this one, because if I know there is some technology then it is no longer magic just a trick.
I don't present "magic" with this, though. I present an ability to pick up on things most people don't, using psychology. I don't present at as a trick at all. And again, it makes sense, for me, given that I have a degree in Psychology.

Could you really see a magician picking up a iphone or itouch and doing what they call magic? I don't care how fair something is, technology has so many different ways to manipulate and people will be thinking of us later on.
And indeed, for the people I have done this effect for, it is me that they think of later. In fact, a few forgot that I had even written anything down, the majority not remembering what I wrote it down on. Again, the majority forgot that they had revealed what they were thinking of before I did--most assume they were thinking of it the whole time.

Just something to think about.
I appreciate that you shared your thoughts with all of us. Thank you. :)

In the end, we all have our own way of performing. If technology seems really iffy to you, especially in this case when it's mentalism based, then I would agree wholeheartedly that you should stay away from it. I would say the same about using any sort of sleight or prop in mentalism--if you're not comfortable performing with it, then don't use it (whether it's a TT, IET, Nail Writer, Peeks, etc), because in all likelihood it will go over badly/unconvincingly (if you don't believe in yourself, it will likely show, and your spectators won't believe in you either). However, I wouldn't condemn a product, just because I don't feel it works for me. Again, to each their own. :)

Well if people know you have a degree in psychology then it is much more believable. I am against technology in magic because as someone who knows a thing about the iphone and itouch I just can't see it working for way to many reasons.

Part of the reason is also the places we live, I either perform mainly for intelligent people who are baffled at what I do but are more than capable with hacking and working computers.

The other half are below average intelligent southerners, who will often times try to find any reason to what I do. This is why what I do leaves no explanations, no reasoning, nothing but direct mentalism. No outs, nothing but what you see. I have tried using cellphones and my itouch with this stuff but it left people disappointed.

So I'll retract what I said to you personally. I would say work your enviornments and what works best, because people are different wherever you go.

Nov 9, 2009
I certainly agree that swami effects are stunners and simple to carry with you. However, in a walkaround situation in a ballroom or restaurant you can have angle issues.

Nathan Kranzo has two great effects for walkaround mentalism that I've been using EVERYWHERE lately. I can't recommend them enough.

DRINK is an instant download for $9 and it's made of pure awesome. It's a completely impromptu and prop-less discernment of a mentally selected beverage. Nothing written down. No pre-show. No counting or math. It's fantastic. (It DOES require some memory work on your part, but nothing too stressful.)

DICTION is a dictionary book test with a pocket Webster's Dictionary. It fits neatly in the back pocket, seems like a reasonable prop for a mentalist to carry, and is diabolical.

I'm interested in DRINK, where can I see a demo and possibly purchase it?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys, I'm a generic magician who wants to jump on board the popularity of mentalism. I like hard hitting tricks and am too lazy to do my own research (a Google search). Mentalism is cool because you can read minds and suggest cards and you don't need much skill. Please tell me the best tricks out there so I can butcher them. God forbid I do my own work.

Sound familiar?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Good one Prae.

Not to mention the post that comes up a few weeks later when they are crying because they are not doing it for real. All this stupid centre tear and impression pad nonsense.

Nov 9, 2009
Hey guys, I'm a generic magician who wants to jump on board the popularity of mentalism. I like hard hitting tricks and am too lazy to do my own research (a Google search). Mentalism is cool because you can read minds and suggest cards and you don't need much skill. Please tell me the best tricks out there so I can butcher them. God forbid I do my own work.

Sound familiar?

Good one Prae.

Not to mention the post that comes up a few weeks later when they are crying because they are not doing it for real. All this stupid centre tear and impression pad nonsense.

I'm not planning to just go out there and perform the easiest mentalism effects right when I get them. And why would I think this is real, of course it's not it's a trick. I really don't know where to start with mentalism and am just trying to see the basics behind it starting with the most simple and basic effects, and then progressing to the more complex ones. I don't just ask what the easiest effects are so I can perform them in the same day and hope to get the best reactions. I mean I have taken time to research mentalism effects, my first with Richard Osterlind DVD's (although I still wouldn't perform his effects, I would need a whole lot more practice to even consider trying to perform them). I just wanted to see all sides of mentalism (like comparing stage magic to street magic). I felt that I started with too advanced methods and wanted to start at the basics. I also realize that mentalism effects take a lot of skill to master so please stop making assumptions about how I view things so quickly. Just trying to get deeper into various magic effects than before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it would be best to start with the basics and not ask these questions.

Get Fundamentals by Bob Cassidy if possible, and obviously 13 steps to Mentalism.

Just use basic tools like swami gimmicks, impression pads maybe, centre tears, billet switches. Stop worrying about what some big names are releasing, those aren't even necessary to perform.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
If you want to spend the money you can get a Boon or TT Swami and the Osterlind 13 steps DVD set along with the book. Those things should essentially give you a good enough material to be a decent mentalist. I know that a majority of the top guys pretty much made a career out of the things in that book and simply just updated a few very minor things here and there.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
I'm not planning to just go out there and perform the easiest mentalism effects right when I get them. And why would I think this is real, of course it's not it's a trick. I really don't know where to start with mentalism and am just trying to see the basics behind it starting with the most simple and basic effects, and then progressing to the more complex ones. I don't just ask what the easiest effects are so I can perform them in the same day and hope to get the best reactions. I mean I have taken time to research mentalism effects, my first with Richard Osterlind DVD's (although I still wouldn't perform his effects, I would need a whole lot more practice to even consider trying to perform them). I just wanted to see all sides of mentalism (like comparing stage magic to street magic). I felt that I started with too advanced methods and wanted to start at the basics. I also realize that mentalism effects take a lot of skill to master so please stop making assumptions about how I view things so quickly. Just trying to get deeper into various magic effects than before.

Unlike magic, you cannot merely learn effects for mentalism because that will just make you look like a tool. You have to learn underlying concepts and theory on presentation in order to become a good mentalist. It's about relating to people and building rapport, which is why mentalism is so strong.

Start by learning the basic principles and don't expect to perform a mentalism effect well until you have them in your head.

Also don't expect quick gratification like with "street" magic or flourishes, this will take a while. So sick of people butchering effects because they think it's magic tricks.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The problem is that you are a magician or think you are. For you to properly learn Mentalism you kind of have to put the Magician ego and attitude in the closet and learn to think outside the box. Not to mention if you try doing a "think of a card" effect after you have done card magic. It doesn't look like mind reading. It looks hokey and silly. Saw Bill Malone do this with a key card after he did an entire show of Card magic on his DVD set and the only reason they were shocked was because they were the LL crowd.

Like most Pure Mentalist will also tell you. You have to learn to connect with your audience. Your goal is no longer to "Fool" them. It's now to open up a window in their mind and amaze them. Plus anybody can fool people. Just throw a freaking jigsaw puzzle at them or shake somebodies hand with a joy buzzer. (God, I am getting tired of the Mentality of people saying "I fooled this or that person.")

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I am not going to mention anything that has already been said in the previous posts.

To effectively perform mentalism you really need to believe what you are doing is real. Even if you have a few helpers (impression pads etc), for those few moments I am genuinely doing everything that I am claiming to be.

Feb 16, 2015
mentalism? well, I'm an all card guy (trying to get into other magic though). So for me. two easy things:

force a card. reveal in any way my imagination wants. I usually have different predictions for different forces: one card drawn on my arm. One card in my pocket. A written prediction. An envelope placed under a chair ahead of time. (The latter is when I'm at a party and I know I'll be performing while others lounge)

invisible deck. tried and true :)
as for the whole gimmick setback of the trick. I have a normal deck and have them shuffle. put it in pocket. say one card will be face up. take out invisible deck from other pocket. perform. they freak out. i put it back in pocket. say that's enough magic for now (usually lying). they say cmon or please do more. i say, ok ill do a few more. take out normal deck. havent been caught. :D

Combine a marked deck and an invisible deck and you have yourself a miracle!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results