Fire Your Cameraman!

Sep 1, 2007
Dana has been doing this for very long and i trust that he is experienced in his field. Personally, I appreciate the effects and think it makes the video more interesting.

Sep 1, 2007
Personally I like the look it gives. It's not like they're blurring the camera right during the important sleight that you need to learn. It's just for a second to add some artistic flair to it.

jaz has a right to complain. i think many would rather see what they need to, and would care less about artistic flair. what if you were reading a book and suddenly the font got so small you couldn;t read it. is that acceptable to add artistic value to the book?

Jaz

Sep 1, 2007
jaz has a right to complain. i think many would rather see what they need to, and would care less about artistic flair. what if you were reading a book and suddenly the font got so small you couldn;t read it. is that acceptable to add artistic value to the book?

Word! Excellent point.

Please refer to my second post in this topic (page 2).

There's very little anyone could do about it unless they bought a new camera that auto-focuses faster.

The 'blurring' is used for switching camera angles so that the switch is as aesthetically pleasing as possible (Dana cuts the footage so that when it cuts to the different view, it is in the process of re-focusing, which is why it's blurry). But the camera also needs to re-focus itself each and every time it zooms in or out and there's nothing the cameraman can do about it. Whenever the camera zooms in/out on something, the camera lens needs to re-adjust itself to that specific zoom level. The blurring is the visual product of the camera lens automatically focusing themselves. So unless you never want the camera to zoom in or out :confused: , the blurring is just a natural effect of the camera zooming in or out and a 'necessary evil', if you will. But I still think it's cool :D

The camera automatically does it when the camera zooms in on something. Short of buying a new, better (--> more expensive) camera or staying still the whole time (which I think we can all agree is a bad idea), there's nothing anyone can do about. Dana is just very clever in using this auto-focus to his advantage while transitioning to different scenes or angles.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results