Fire Your Cameraman!

Jaz

Sep 1, 2007
Love the 1-on-1 stuff so far..... but for the love of god please sort out your cameraman. I noticed this when I got hold of the great 3fry routine. The constant movement and blurring of focus is distrating to say the least. I dont know whos drunken friend has been put in charge of the filming of the effects, but it really lets down the production.

Like I said tho - great effects!

Well for one I think it's suppose to be like that and I think it looks edgy and cool, I don't think anyone else has had a problem with it.....but, I think your gunna get some snotty remarks from Dana, and the rest of the T11 crew for saying that....

-RA69

Sep 1, 2007
Well for one I think it's suppose to be like that and I think it looks edgy and cool, I don't think anyone else has had a problem with it.....but, I think your gunna get some snotty remarks from Dana, and the rest of the T11 crew for saying that....

-RA69

Kenner might even bring him up in the next video lol

Sep 2, 2007
Love the 1-on-1 stuff so far..... but for the love of god please sort out your cameraman. I noticed this when I got hold of the great 3fry routine. The constant movement and blurring of focus is distrating to say the least. I dont know whos drunken friend has been put in charge of the filming of the effects, but it really lets down the production.

Although I could see a drunken Dana - it's not that hard :D - the blurring of focus, for me, adds to the effect, and its blurrs at the exact time when the spectator would go, "WOW!." Also the camera is almost like the eyes of the spectator, and the movements show where the spectator's eyes would move and see with the effect.

I wouldn't call Dana, the cameraman, drunk, maybe special, weird, or different would do :D. But, I'll stick with calling him avant-garde.

Cheers,
JTM

i think that is the editing style they have on here ... i will agree that some parts i wish i could see the full routine without the blur effect but its not that big of a deal... the editing is top notch and i like it.

The auto focus adjustment you're describing as 'blurring' is a feature of the cameras that they use to automatically re-focus the lens so that the subject is clear (the blurring is the camera re-focusing itself). It's used as an artistic element that's done on purpose. It's a part of the incredibly well-known and successful editing style of Dana Hocking, the Team's Production Manager.

I think it's quite cool, and you're the first I've ever seen that has a problem with it. It's never intentionally done so that it affects the teaching of the effect - usually done near the beginning and ends of the performance, or while the subject is merely talking and the camera angle switches (if Dana were to abruptly switch camera angles, it would not look like a professionally shot video at all. Therefore, he uses the 'blurring' to ease your eye into the alternate angle or into the next scene without looking like they're just non-professionally cutting and splicing the footage). It's also seen when the camera zooms in or out or abruptly moves (this is just a feature of the camera).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
Also the camera is almost like the eyes of the spectator, and the movements show where the spectator's eyes would move and see with the effect.

Cheers,
JTM

And who exactatally do you perform for? Who's vision blurs during the climax of a routine? I'd open my eyes wider personally...... mabey it's just becuase I'm sober....:eek:....:D:D:D

Sep 14, 2007

too much critiscim. however you spell it

this is threads probably gonna be closed

Jaz

Sep 1, 2007
too much critiscim. however you spell it

this is threads probably gonna be closed

Why exactly would it be closed? Because I have bought somthing with MY money and have the RIGHT to critique it.

I can understand how this "style" would be applied to trailers/promotional use. But when I have paid money to learn something I want crysral clear clarity. And as for "its like the eyes of spec", Im not a spectator, im a magician, who wants to see the ful picture without having to double back on the video every 2 seconds to see Chris's movements.

There's very little anyone could do about it unless they bought a new camera that auto-focuses faster.

The 'blurring' is used for switching camera angles so that the switch is as aesthetically pleasing as possible (Dana cuts the footage so that when it cuts to the different view, it is in the process of re-focusing, which is why it's blurry). But the camera also needs to re-focus itself each and every time it zooms in or out and there's nothing the cameraman can do about it. Whenever the camera zooms in/out on something, the camera lens needs to re-adjust itself to that specific zoom level. The blurring is the visual product of the camera lens automatically focusing themselves. So unless you never want the camera to zoom in or out :confused: , the blurring is just a natural effect of the camera zooming in or out and a 'necessary evil', if you will. But I still think it's cool :D

Sep 2, 2007
Looks like Dana got to be pretty good friends with the Captain...Captain Morgan that is.

I always saw him as Miller Light guy. Maybe Jack Adams, but not Captain Morgan. :D

There's very little anyone could do about it unless they bought a new camera that auto-focuses faster.

The 'blurring' is used for switching camera angles so that the switch is as aesthetically pleasing as possible (Dana cuts the footage so that when it cuts to the different view, it is in the process of re-focusing, which is why it's blurry). But the camera also needs to re-focus itself each and every time it zooms in or out and there's nothing the cameraman can do about it. Whenever the camera zooms in/out on something, the camera lens needs to re-adjust itself to that specific zoom level. The blurring is the visual product of the camera lens automatically focusing themselves. So unless you never want the camera to zoom in or out :confused: , the blurring is just a natural effect of the camera zooming in or out and a 'necessary evil', if you will. But I still think it's cool :D

Very astute point.

The zooming problem could be fixed if there were more Danas out there - each could film in different zoom levels, 10x, 20x, 40x, 80x, 160x, 320x, 640x ... unfortunately, there is only one and only Dana Hocking, though, when drunk, it might like seem there's more of him. :D

Cheers,
JTM

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results