First Effect (Let's Face It) Up & Ready!

D@n

Oct 11, 2011
That was awful. I'm sorry, but you win the award of worst trailer ever. It was impossible to see what the effect actually was because there were so many cuts. One would think that it would be possible to showcase a simple bill change at least once in a 5 minute trailer. From what I could see, which wasn't much, it seemed a lot like Greed, except with more awkward motions. And if your going to use Dubstep and that many cuts, at least sync them together so it isn't a mosh pit. If this was supposed to be a teaser, it was way too long, and if it was supposed to be a trailer, it didn't showcase the effect, which is what you're supposedly trying to sell. Who knows, it might even be a good trick, but you cannot tell from that awful trailer.
Dan

Jan 22, 2012
All the cuts and cool stuff are horrible. No offense you need to make it simpler. The fact that you don't even have a full performance in your FIVE minute trailer is bad. Also trailers shouldn't be five minutes. I stopped it in the first 30 seconds because it was just too choppy for me. It seems like a cool idea but I honestly can't tell.

Blaziken

Elite Member
Sep 8, 2012
Quebec, Canada
twitter.com
If you have a live performance, we would like to see it, that would give a better idea... Cause there are a loooooot of cuts and anyone can asume that in every cut you're changing the bill. Anyways, a live performance with no cuts would be better.

Meh I got bored 30 seconds into it and never finished the video. If I may offer you some video editing advice, to which you can take or leave it.

If you're going to film a teaser keep it short. Keep it direct. Show the bill change, the transition, and show it in one clean, quick, uninterrupted shot. All these fancy stop motion video editing tricks don't work for you. It looks more like you're showing off your final cut skills than showing us a magic trick.

I frequently find myself saying this, but I stand behind it, music if you're going to use it needs to complement the video. Don't just put something in there because YOU like the music. It's got to work with the whole product, and this dubstep isn't doing it for me. It's too moving, quick, and transitional for the dodgy camera edits used in this video.

Also in a teaser video you've GOT to get the audiences attention within the first 10 seconds. If you can't do that, then they won't care about the product no matter how awesome it is. Within 10 seconds I have to say to myself "Man this looks interesting." By 20 seconds in I've got to be saying "I need to perform this" and by 30 seconds... "I've got to buy this now! How do I buy it?" You're just not going to realistically get someone to watch a promo for five minutes and then want to commit to the product.

You've got a lot of work to do, but if this can deliver what you says it does, it may be the next hot thing.

Best of luck to you.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
This has got to be the largest amount of effort to produce the most crap I have ever seen in a trailer. It shows that you put in a lot of time towards making this, but this is god awful. Every, single, thing about this video needs to change. Not a single thing was done right.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Give him his fair chance. We all started out with a single post. It has to begin somewhere.

You are right William, I just get very worked up over people who are self-entitled. I got a very strong sense of that from his video, which I somehow managed to watch all five minutes of. Alas, he deserves as much of a chance as anyone else.

Hello again,

Haven't disappeared, just a bit busy with a recent move.

I guess I should state that I see myself as more of a creator rather than a performer. (Is there room for this here?) I enjoy performing magic, but it's the creation which I am passionate about. I like toying with new ideas seeing what boundaries can be tested with my fingers alone. I will continue to share these creations with those here at Theory11.

You may deplore dubstep or not like my Final Cut editing, but that's not what this is about. I've just gotten into video editing for my blog, as another means of subjecting the world to my passions. For those that are interested, my blog is MoreApplesADay.com. It began as a health blog (My Journey to 150) and I have recently decided to include other facets of my life. Little known fact: I haven't had anything to drink (water, soda, anything) for over 215 days now (still alive and healthy).

I didn't know what 'dubstep' was until I queried it. I find the song catchy, so I used it. I enjoy editing/creating videos so I had some fun with it. Wanna see me eat a pumpkin? A watermelon? A lemon? (http://moreapplesaday.com/health/how-to-eat)

I like what I created, both the effect and the video. Maybe (obviously not a maybe with this crowd thus far) you don't like my Youtube style, but don't let that blur the creativity I am trying to share.

Look for some new dubstep in near future. LOL (seriously!)

Thanks for your input.

Okay NOW I call BS. Without anything to drink you'd be dead in a week.

If you are going to create magic for magicians then thats fine but don't hide behind "this is art" as an excuse to not see flaws in your work and seek to improve upon it.

Jan 22, 2012
Hello again,

Haven't disappeared, just a bit busy with a recent move.

I guess I should state that I see myself as more of a creator rather than a performer. (Is there room for this here?) I enjoy performing magic, but it's the creation which I am passionate about. I like toying with new ideas seeing what boundaries can be tested with my fingers alone. I will continue to share these creations with those here at Theory11.

You may deplore dubstep or not like my Final Cut editing, but that's not what this is about. I've just gotten into video editing for my blog, as another means of subjecting the world to my passions. For those that are interested, my blog is MoreApplesADay.com. It began as a health blog (My Journey to 150) and I have recently decided to include other facets of my life. Little known fact: I haven't had anything to drink (water, soda, anything) for over 215 days now (still alive and healthy).

I didn't know what 'dubstep' was until I queried it. I find the song catchy, so I used it. I enjoy editing/creating videos so I had some fun with it. Wanna see me eat a pumpkin? A watermelon? A lemon? (http://moreapplesaday.com/health/how-to-eat)

I like what I created, both the effect and the video. Maybe (obviously not a maybe with this crowd thus far) you don't like my Youtube style, but don't let that blur the creativity I am trying to share.

Look for some new dubstep in near future. LOL (seriously!)

Thanks for your input.

If you are so creative and have amazing effects than lets see it without all the gimmicks of video editing!! I mean if the video is blurring your creativity then it's not good. I mean honestly All we want to see is just the performance.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Okay NOW I call BS. Without anything to drink you'd be dead in a week.

If you are going to create magic for magicians then thats fine but don't hide behind "this is art" as an excuse to not see flaws in your work and seek to improve upon it.

Technically, he could cheat and eat a lot of fruits and other foods that are in "water like substance". still wouldn't be healthy and he'd end up sick and in the hospital after about a week or two.

He's probably eating things that have a lot of liquid in them (watermelons, oranges, etc.). I once did a no liquid endurance test and I lasted 14 days, but I felt like death. I was very strict. No drinks of any kind and nothing that was or became a liquid at room temperature (popsicles, ice, etc.). I also wouldn't eat anything that was mostly liquid (oranges, watermelons).

To the OP: It is fine to be a creator and not a performer, but other performers are not going to buy your illusions when your videos look like that.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Watched video and didn't seem like anything new to me. The 100 Dollar Bill Change does that, as well as Extreme Burn, I think also Pat Page had a routine that did that too.

The only difference is that they didn't have a promo trailer that was nothing but random cuts.

Jan 22, 2012
I think he's BSing us with the effect and the health thing. I don't get why theres a sudden spark in people BSing on this forums.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Dear OP.

You are getting negative responses to the video because this is a magician's forum, and that is all. People come to this forum to see and experience magic. The post you created mentioned a new "effect" which would get people excited. However, your video, although obviously you had a great time making it, did not allow the magicians on this magic forum to actually see the "magic". Thus, you received advice on how to make a magic trailer that would be more beneficial to promoting your effect.

If you were to post this video on a "video editing enthusiasts" forum, you would most likely get all feedback on the editing points of the video, eg... cuts, transitions, timing, etc...

I understand what you are trying to "preach" but make sure you are "preaching to the right crowd." Come to a magician's forum to talk about magic, not about video editing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results