First gig

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
So, earlier today I finished my True first gig for some kids down at the local YMCA. Now living in Country side of Alabama we don't have many restaurants that are suitable for magic, and zero venues. So when the opportunity came i quickly took it. However I knew in order to entertain these kids I would be forced to use my nemesis: SPONGE-BALLS. I may not like them but they were just too perfect.

I did 3 shows about 20 minutes a piece for 3 different groups of kids.
Oddly enough my favorite group was the youngest (5-6). They seemed to be more excited.

Anyway that's besides the point of this thread. During the last show with the oldest group I called a kid on stage and did the teleporting sponge-balls. When he opened his hand to reveal he had 2 he had a great reaction of screamed "i'm done so done" and dropped the sponge balls and walked away. Obviously the Crowd goes insane and i really enjoyed it.

Then he comes up to me at the end of the show while everyone was going back out to the playground and he asked to see it again. Obviously I say "I'm sorry, no", as I get ready to go home. I saw disappointment in his eyes, and taking a page from Slydini I knew the timing was PERFECT, and loaded a sponge ball into finger palm from my Backpack while "zipping it up" all while I explained I couldn't perform it twice, and i was going home. Like I said The timing was incredible, and said "Well son, Just a tip before i go. You may want to start cleaning behind your ears", and reached over and literally with it in my hand just pretended to pull the sponge ball out of his ear. Everyone freaks out and then,

The kid PASSES OUT!

And that kids is the story of why I am banned from the YMCA

(JK he got up and was fine after words)

So I bring this up for one reason. To ask a question. Does anyone have any good first gig stories? I've heard a lot say there first gig was a bomb and it was a huge ego check. For me I've literally only been more nervous once in my life. (That's normal for me though. I get nervous before Every test I take no exaggeration). But as soon as I stepped on stage the nervousness vanished completely! So, how did your first gig go?

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
That sounds like you had a lot of fun! I love the quick thinking about loading the sponge ball and giving him a really magical moment that he will not soon forget. Congratulations, man!

My first gig was an okay one I would say. It was the first year I got into magic so I didn't know much. I did a walk around bit where I only did about 3 tricks per group. One of them was where I would have the spectator shuffle the deck and then I would go through and "find their lucky card"

*COUGH* top card of the deck *COUGH*

and then get the remaining cards in place to do a 4 of a kind production. The rest of the trick is done entirely in their hands. This one woman who I performed for was so amazed and genuinely mystified about how I knew what her lucky card was (I was too) and how she herself proved that it was by dealing out the mates.

She thought it was some spiritual shtick about how everyone has their own personal ties to a playing card like they do with tarot. I don't what I said, but I am sure if heard it now I would cringe so hard I would collapse like a neutron star.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Congrats dude! You got bigger balls than me lol
I think you mean...

bigger SPONGE balls!

I'll just leave now...
But congrats man! Sounds like it went great!

Anyway, my first gig was just doing magic during a Christmas event at my job. It went well since it wasn't really a show and people just would walk up and leave as they pleased, kinda like busking but also not really. Nothing special but it led to another gig so that was neat.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results