First Lecture: Lessons Learned

This last thursday I gave my first magic lecture to a group called the Southern California Association of Magicians. It went really well and everyone had a great time. Being my own worst critic I sat back and thought about it over the last week, I did learn a two valuable lessons that I wanted to pass on to anyone who is considering lecturing or writing some instructional material for others in our craft.

Lesson 1: Thank God for editors.
When I first put the effects into written form, they were written as if I was talking to another magish who had been doing this as long and focusing on the same type of material I do. I ended up having several newer Magicians at the lecture who I needed to explain several of the basic moves that I had originally not put into my notes. Luckily my fiancee (who is also a begining magician) helped me out by editing my notes and asking me questions from her perspective. This helped us add in explanations for how I control a card, my double lift, my false cut, etc. If your going to write something always have someone edit for u as well.

Lesson 2: Magicians still appreciate the simpe stuff
When I started to write the notes I was hesitant to put in 2 of the effects because the method is so bloody simple. I figured based on the current trend that my audience would not care about these two, luckily my intial thought was wrong, they ended up being 2 of the biggest crowd pleasers. Keep it Simple where you can.

Have fun and credit, credit, credit your sources. (huge believer in crediting artists who came before me to lay the foundation).

Anybody have any thoughts or pet peeves when it comes to those who teach the technique and theory of our art?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results