First public performance spots

Dec 5, 2016
First public performance spots?

• I started at the mall just walking up to people and then going downtown and things like that doing street magic but I still haven't "performaned" at and actually scheduled place. Looking for advice and sorts of your experiment Thankyou :)

My first ever public performance was at a park for kids. Then I was a regular at a food pantry and I would perform coin and card tricks for kids. After about a year I started volunteering at a special needs camp for kids and they gave me a parlour-esque type of show for the last two summers.

For stage, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time (magic convention ;)) when Ayala asked me to assist him on his closing act. I just recently got the greenlight to head my own solo stage act. How that happened was I was doing a theatrical play and I was talking to the owner of the venue and he agreed to give me an hour to hour and a half show at some point in May.

So my advice is best summed up by a Woody Allen quote: "80% of success is just showing up." So really you just have to make things happen. I know that is a very broad statement but just keep putting yourself out there and get active in networking and eventually you will talk to the right people.

Dec 5, 2016
Tennessee
tjfritts.com
My first public performance I did a little routine where I take a randomly selected card from an unmarked deck and via bending and flexing it I "read" the stiffness of the ink with my fingertips to identify the card. This went well.

I then did a KC routine, nothing special. This one taught me to really develop patter because without patter the performer and the performance stands nude. The difference between "I want to show you something" and "I'm like fourteen times smarter than you are" is paper thin and it pays to be showing instead of showing off.

I finished with a Si Stebbins trick and wrapped it up. Thanked everybody for watching me and for being such a great audience and walked away. If I'd had a mic, I'd have dropped it. I expected more out of the KC routine but I realized later I was too smug about it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results