Flicker Review

Nov 7, 2008
It's been about a month now since I originally purchased (download version) Flicker. I was and still am extremely new to magic, so keep that in mind when reading this review. I'm not 100% familiar with every grip, vanish, etc of every coin trick, but seeing the preview of this one made me feel like I just had to know the trick.

The effect is great, like I said, it's what sold me to buy the product. Doug came off as a really laid back and super chill guy and his explanations were very clear. Flicker can be done with a half-dollar, a dollar coin, or even a quarter. I practice both with a half-dollar, and with a quarter. The quarter seems harder to use, but Doug mentions that Flicker can actually be done with any coins by just practicing. Even so, it would've been helpful to learn the pros/cons of using different size coins. I have one really really important question that I wish I could ask Doug about using smaller coins such as a quarter, but I suppose the answer could be that it just takes more practice.

After a month of constantly practicing this during every waking moment (while in the car, while eating, while browsing the web, and even while in the bathroom!) I feel like I'm okay at it -- but not good enough to perform this for anyone. At some point I'll just have to man up and test it out, but I feel that this trick may be "knacky", if that's the right word. It's possible that I'm just inconsistent right now because I'm trying to get used to handling coins. This trick is not something you can learn and perform right away though. It will take a lot of practice to get to the point where you'll feel confident enough to perform the way Doug does, and really, this trick is so visually beautiful that you should perfect it before going out and trying it anyway.

One of the best thing about this download is that Doug also teaches 2 "hand-wash" techniques of his. For those new to magic like myself, a hand-wash is basically a term that describes a technique of showing your hands to be clean, or empty.

Oh, and Doug DOES flash the coin. I didn't see it in the preview on here, but I noticed it during my first watching of the download. I wasn't even thinking about it, and all of the sudden I saw it.

As you can see from my forum name, this trick totally turned me to being a Doug fan. I'm going to get Juan Hundred Dollar Bill Switch by him as well, because I really like the way he presents himself. I love the fact that this trick requires a lot of work put into it. If you want an easy trick, this isn't a good one to purchase. If you like the way it looks though, learning it is a lot of fun.

Is it worth the price?
Personally, I'd have gladly paid $30 for this, but I seem to just have a connection to this trick that I can't explain, so I guess I'm a bit biased. It's absolutely beautiful the first time you do it properly in front of a mirror.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results