'Floating bills' who does it right?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
All right. I'm doing some research for one of my weekly Tenyo reviews.

I have a Tenyo in my inventory that regards a 'floating bill' effect (Cloud Money).

I'm now trying to research different floating bill effects and I'm trying to make a sort of compare-and-contrast to how well the Tenyo one can hold a candle to other bill effects in terms of cost, ease of use, and overall effect.

So here's where I need help from you experienced sorts: I currently have on hand two floating bill effects ('Cloud Money' and a floating bill from Houdini Magic that my daughter has that I'm not even sure how it's supposed to appear as magic). I'm not as privy to what is out there that works the best and what doesn't and the WHY (without exposure, of course).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
The thing is that I'm reviewing a floating bill effect that is considered 'one of the worst tricks' in the Tenyo Magic community. I've been messing around with the thing for the last two days and I have been digging for the 'why' people think it's bad, as well as develop my own opinion of it.

Im basically looking for similar floating bill/levitation effects that are considered good and then compare cost, user opinion of product, pros/cons.

ill look into Spider Pen Pro and then see things like: 'can I use a borrowed bill?', 'can I end clean?', 'how does the performance go?'. Basically, learn as much about it as I can without exposure.

I feel that 'Cloud Money' has an unjustified stigma about it. And I'm trying to see is that is true, or if it's really as bad as they say.

Thank you for directing me towards Spider Pen Pro. That is a start!

Best of luck with your endeavors! To answer your questions, Spider Pen Pro can be done with a borrowed bill, you end clean, and I can't spoil the performance obviously. It's about $100 but I don't regret a single penny. Not too familiar with "Cloud Money". Once I bought Spider Pen Pro I didn't feel the need to pick up any more levitation gimmicks besides Loops.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I dislike pretty much every floating bill effect save a couple. Far too obvious methods. Nearly any method using IT looks exactly like what it is. David Copperfield's Floating Rose performance does a nice job (with a napkin rather than a bill), and I also like Steve Fearson's floating cigarette routine hookup (still very apparent, but better method wise). the only other moment that I like is the at the 45 seconds mark of the video here:http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/536. The rest of the video is bad.

Aside from those, I'm not sure I've seen one I like (granted the methods are totally different than Cloud Money..

Brett,

If I could chime in, I just posted a related response in the thread regarding the UFO card/Hummer card. To summarize, simplify the effect, and minimize the amount you affect the bill/object which is attached.

Edward

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Brett,

If I could chime in, I just posted a related response in the thread regarding the UFO card/Hummer card. To summarize, simplify the effect, and minimize the amount you affect the bill/object which is attached.

Edward

Thank you! I just read it over and I agree that 'less is more'.

It seems like these sorts of things should be limited to one really short 'feat' and then that's it. Leave them wondering and not enough time to figure out what happened. Is this in the right track?

Brett,
Absolutely. Think of it in this way: while it's true that it is in your power to make the card, or object, float indefinitely through increasingly complex acrobatics, etc. it is not in your best interest to do so. It breaks a fundamental rule of magic which is so often forgotten: Conservation. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. People who watch someone perform want to see them, "bump the bar." They want to see just how powerful you really are and if you show them the extent of what you really can do, there's nowhere to go if someone says, "but I bet you can't..."

Imagine watching the Olympics. It's the world's greatest pole-vaulter. Its his final attempt and he has set the bar incredibly high. Which has the most "gut-wrenching" drama; he clears the bar by several inches or he bumps the bar and narrowly breaks the world record.

Very often, what seems like the, "most magical" take on an effect is much weaker than the most theatrically sound.

Thanks,
Edward

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results