Flourishing Advice

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
but in the words of a very prominant and highly respected magician I know as he reacted to one of the world's best cardists, and friend of mine who will remain unnamed out of my respect for him and what he does, : "that's great you can ****ing twirl cards and flip them around and whatever, just show me a ****ing trick, just ****ing say was that your card"

I love his respect for what i do =P

Nov 15, 2008
everyone else has said it, but practice practice and practice more.

if its cuts, use dead wynns... that always helps. the cards stick together like superglue. if its fans, use new cards. (duh)

and now you know. and knowing is half the battle.

ignore the stupid G.I Joe Quote.

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
sorry if i didn't explain myself more clear so i can see how you'd think i was contradicting myself let me clarify

i was under the impression you expect manipulators to do stuff like devo, andre, etc which to me is like card juggling and something a cardist would do and something i am not and never have claimed to be.

the videos myself and i'm pretty sure farrell as well put out are about manipulation, so you putting us into this thread is unnecessary. fanning/cardistry and manipulation are two totally different things granted manipulators may do a thumb fan or pressure fan or one handed fan or those simple things here and there. So hopefully that clears up your confusion.

I say again, I'm not a card juggler, fan passer, fanner,packet flipper, etc etc etc. -whatever you want to call it. I've been trained, by the best in the world, and have studied under as a manipulator being taught with the first and formost goal in mind to achieve a magic effect. if i fan a tenkai or shimada style or cardini style is irrevelant. shimada and tankai fans are much smaller than a cardini style fan - i'm sure you already know this but just to proove a point - the audience dosn't give a ****. i, as well as others who use cards, are magicians and are here to do magic and not care if we have some blocks in our fans. i could go on forever but i'm sure all of what i have said has occured to you already, you're just confusing and mis matching a magician with a cardist.

sorry if i had a bit of a knee jerk reaction with my first comment, I'm just a little tired with getting emails from random people saying check out what this dude's saying about you on theory 11 or wherever, granted its just your opinion and who cares you're not hiring me anywhere, but just felt the need to jump in and clarify a few things and give my two cents.

and maybe i'm just as confused as well, maybe you're not actually a magician but a cardist so I appologise for not knowing if you were or not. this is afterall a magic and cardist epicenter so there's room for both of us here. but in the words of a very prominant and highly respected magician I know as he reacted to one of the world's best cardists, and friend of mine who will remain unnamed out of my respect for him and what he does, : "that's great you can ****ing twirl cards and flip them around and whatever, just show me a ****ing trick, just ****ing say was that your card"

I definately remember that incident, and it's all good. Everyone has a different taste in art.

Just because we (flourishers) hold a deck of cards in our hand, doesn't mean we should be subjected to negative opinion by those who hold the same tools. What we do is completely different from magic and sometimes, I often question myself as to why flourishers are on the same forum as magicians. It would be like putting chefs and engineers on the same forum, they don't belong together. We can only blame ourselves for wanting respect, recognition, and separation from those who will never understand the passion behind our work.

When magicians want to be disrespectful, they can take the easy route and say "You can card juggle, but I want to see a trick", the same can be said in reverse. Because our art (flourishing/cardistry) is in direct competition with magic (which it shouldn't) is the reason why there is so much disrespect.

Trashman, you have no right to demand Dan to work on his fans, just like he should have no right to demand you to produce cards/birds. Both should respect each other's art and understand each other's points of view. Which comes full circle to what I've said before. We don't belong.

Flourishing is yet to be taken into it's own path with it's own respect, appreciation, and understanding...and it will...all in good time. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 19, 2008
I agree with all of these guys. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!!!!! also, dont b afraid to add your own little twists the the flourish. dont change it entirely, just substitute some of the harder moves with easier versions. for example, if the flourish requires a rev cut, i just substitute it with a basic charlier cut

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results