Fluid Explanation

May 18, 2008
First off, I have been in almost 4 months now. Second off, I found this to be the most helpful thing when starting out. I invented this in my first week of flourishing and it really kickstarted my entire flourishing hobby.

Secondly, I performed it well as far as I could see, so I don't see the problem. The only thing I hate is when someone who can't do a flourish realeases the tutorial. I found this good for people only in flourishing for a week or so, and a nice little flourish when you just need another thing to add into your video or something.

Also, I wanted to use the music and I was bored and needed something to edit.

I don't see anything wrong with uploading a flourish tutorial when you are still a novice at flourishing, provided you can do the flourish quite well and it is original.

Sep 1, 2007
popchris, you are absolutely right, it doesnt' matter how long you've been flourishing all that matters is how well you perform it.

you obviously put in the time to practice this move becausee you perform it really fast and smooth.

but it's not original at ALL. seriously. you did like a sybil thingy and a fan flip... only a total n00b would think that was even remotely original.

so, creeper is partially right, you need to spend more time in the hobby and watch more videos and you'll gain PERSPECTIVE on how good flourishes are. one of the most annoying things to those that have been in the hobby a long time, is how many unoriginal "tutorials" come out that nobody asked for, nobody will be using this or saying in a nother video "DUDE! wasn't that "fluid"? you forgot to credit popchris3!!!" lol well you know what Im sayin.

if you stick with the artform for another year you will look back on this and laugh man, its all good. you did the move damned good it just would be better as part of a large performance video.

May 18, 2008
Alright. I just find it hard to call anything original in the world of flourishing. All is based on some form of Sybil moves, packet flips, arm spreads, or other core moves.

So if you think about it, nothing in flourishing is really original.

But I just thought it was a neat move the people would enjoy, and what I left out was that the first part was a false cut. (If you take out the packet flip and just put the packet down on the deck.)

And as I said, it is very easy to learn and do so I figured it might help someone who had been in flourishing for maybe a week or so...

But I agree, that it would look better as part of a larger video. I also wanted people to hear my music as well, but...

Thank you for the suggestions and corrections people! Keep them coming.

May 18, 2008
Where have you seen this flourish before?

I can't say that I ever have, and if you say that all the moves aren't original either, then you could say that no flourishes are original.

This was for the flourish, the editing and music. I don't know why people are so uptight about this.

May 18, 2008
Its more of a combo than a flourish. Some flourishes are original (Flip back). But yes most flourishes are variations or combos of existing flourishes.

Iam just saying the editing made the video look choppy not ''Fluid''.

JDEN

Ok, I will edit it again and post an alternate version soon.

Sep 24, 2008
Bavaria, Germany
well, popchris3....it is hard to explain this thing to you because you obviously are not getting the point.

Your "Fluid" is not original at all, not because nowadays not a single flourish is original...but because you´ve simply combined two flourishy moves into one. A pivot kind of thing and a fan toss....well.....the exact same fan toss motions have already been done in lets say Mary Jane or...some of Daniel Madisons takes.
And the Pivot you use is really not that big of a deal.

On the one hand ...the fact that you think that every single flourish is base on a sybil or some sort of pivot..shows how limited your knowledge in cardhandling and flourishing still is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03lmqX4aWeY
where are those sybils and pivots inside of this move?

or in the most amount of moves in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dzIycYDL_A

?

The Fact that you don´t know what else a human being can do with cards besides armspreads, sybil variations and packet flips, shows that there is still loads of knowledge waiting for you to be discovered.....

Exactly that point, that you think everybody is doing the same ****ty sybil thing should be the starting point for you to create tons of new material nobody has every dreamed of before...and not saying "ok everybody is doing the sybils and packet flips so....everybody should be ok with it if do the same"

Unique-"ness" is kind of important body.

keep it up

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
I didn't like it at all, sorry.

The choppy video was the exact opposite of what I thought it would be - fluid.

Imagine making a video of you diving into a swimming pool, and then naming it "Dry". It's the same idea...

The flourishing wasn't bad, intermediate. That aspect of it was the best. :)

And now that is originality.

Finally, I found the music really quite dull. It was just a piano played in a very boring sort of way. It wasn't exciting, there was no real tune to it. It just seemed like random notes played really quite haphazardly. You could, in fact, tell you made it when you were bored, like you said.

Sorry. =/

-Sam H

May 18, 2008
well, popchris3....it is hard to explain this thing to you because you obviously are not getting the point.

Your "Fluid" is not original at all, not because nowadays not a single flourish is original...but because you´ve simply combined two flourishy moves into one. A pivot kind of thing and a fan toss....well.....the exact same fan toss motions have already been done in lets say Mary Jane or...some of Daniel Madisons takes.
And the Pivot you use is really not that big of a deal.

I get it, it isn't orignal.

On the one hand ...the fact that you think that every single flourish is base on a sybil or some sort of pivot..shows how limited your knowledge in cardhandling and flourishing still is.

Uh, yeah. My knowledge is going to be limited, because I don't have too much time to practice flourishing and have only been in it for almost four months, maybe less. I know as much as I can at this point, and am still learning.

That is a really neat move. But, there are ways one can tie that to several ancient and recent card handling techniques and I am sure Kevin Ho was not the first person to pull cards off of another packet.

or in the most amount of moves in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dzIycYDL_A
Those were cool but not unlike the video above.
?

The Fact that you don´t know what else a human being can do with cards besides armspreads, sybil variations and packet flips, shows that there is still loads of knowledge waiting for you to be discovered.....

Uh, yeah. Hence the term, amatuer.

Exactly that point, that you think everybody is doing the same ****ty sybil thing should be the starting point for you to create tons of new material nobody has every dreamed of before...and not saying "ok everybody is doing the sybils and packet flips so....everybody should be ok with it if do the same"

Unique-"ness" is kind of important body.

What part of biggener do you not understand??? And this flourish was something that I thought I should share with people, because it really helped me when I was just starting out (by that I mean about a week in.)

And I never said everything is ok to be the same. Not even close. I said that it is my belief that not many flourishes are original. All moves were invented earlier and are just used in different combinations now. Even the Kevin Ho thing, as I stated I am sure he is not the first to pull a card off a packet with his thumb.

And I strive to have things that no one else does, and I am sure that no one else right now does that EXACTLY like I do it.

keep it up

I will, and thank you for your feedback. I wanted people to see the flourish and I thought the performances were really good. Plus it will help a lot of people just starting off, as it is pretty easy to do.

So, yeah, ok.

May 18, 2008

Fluid is the name of the flourish... Heh. Plus I am re editing it now and should be up soon.

Imagine making a video of you diving into a swimming pool, and then naming it "Dry". It's the same idea...

The flourishing wasn't bad, intermediate. That aspect of it was the best. :)

The aspect? What is that? Sorry, I don't understand. And intermediate is good!

Finally, I found the music really quite dull. It was just a piano played in a very boring sort of way. It wasn't exciting, there was no real tune to it. It just seemed like random notes played really quite haphazardly. You could, in fact, tell you made it when you were bored, like you said.

Alright, that is fine. It was, it is unfinished but all I could come up with at the time to put into the video. And it wasn't just random notes; you can see the sheet music for it if you like. It has a sort of odd symetry to it.

And it is one of my earlier ones.

Sorry. =/

Don't apologize; I am a biggener and I won't get better unless I get critisizm.

-Sam H

So, yeah. I am only posting this so it will let me post this message!

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Originally Posted by The Emogician View Post

Fluid is the name of the flourish... Heh. Plus I am re editing it now and should be up soon.
Okay, I look forward to seeing the result.

The flourishing wasn't bad, intermediate. That aspect of it was the best.

The aspect? What is that? Sorry, I don't understand. And intermediate is good!
That part of the video was good. Just another way of saying that :) And yeah, intermediate's good. Verging on intermediate. But with that, there's always room for improvement.

Alright, that is fine. It was, it is unfinished but all I could come up with at the time to put into the video. And it wasn't just random notes; you can see the sheet music for it if you like. It has a sort of odd symetry to it.

And it is one of my earlier ones.

Okay, fair enough - I just think it would sound better if you used a recorded music track, some instrumental, maybe music, maybe something by Dana? A dull soundtrack makes the video seem dull too. Keep that in mind.

Sorry. =/

Don't apologize; I am a biggener and I won't get better unless I get critisizm.
Very well said.

-Sam H

(Short message...)

May 9, 2008
You guys are being way too hard on this guy. He could be a future Dan or Dave....he's into editing, in time he'll get better. Let him get his experience in. You're being too unsupportive....do you want him to quit? We're supposed to encourage new ideas, but we can do that without putting him down. He can call his combo "Fluid", who cares? To him, it is original. He'll eventually learn what originality is. I too struggled finding original ideas. I've created things only to find out it's already been done. Haven't you? It just takes time. Don't be a typical elitists. We all start somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
im not going to argue about originality or weither you know what your doing.

but that did teach me a little something (seeing as i am a beginner )

so heres a thanks from me

You guys are being way too hard on this guy. He could be a future Dan or Dave....he's into editing, in time he'll get better. Let him get his experience in. You're being too unsupportive....do you want him to quit? We're supposed to encourage new ideas, but we can do that without putting him down. He can call his combo "Fluid", who cares? To him, it is original. He'll eventually learn what originality is. I too struggled finding original ideas. I've created things only to find out it's already been done. Haven't you? It just takes time. Don't be a typical elitists. We all start somewhere.

He needs good criticism to get better. If everyone says he's good then he will keep making bad videos.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results