Fo Shizzle

Aight homizzle, I be wacking you out with the trippy s*** right now dawg.

What turns a spectator off? What will make them want to say no when you approach them? They'll turn you down if you talk like that fo shizzle.

First impressions are a must in street magic, just like girls, clients, friends, and more, if they don't like what they see or hear, they'll brush you off like you're crumbs on a couch.

Now I haven't said you can't speak like that, but there's a time and place for everything. Once again, when trying to make an impression, you must turn off all smart ass remarks and comments and turn on the charm. Imagine your spectators as that girl (or guy) that you see from a distance and immediately want to talk to and ask to a gala, movie, back of your car, or Denny's. How would you approach this girl? You wouldn't go up to her and say "Let me show you something big".

Here's the thing, always ASK, a simply politely asked question will make all the difference, that way it makes your spectator's to be feel at ease and not pressured into watching something that they weren't planning on watching. Don't go up to your spectator and say "Let me show you something awesome."

Back to the girl... When walking up to her, would you look at your feet, or look up and smile? Smiling allows for someone to look at you and see no harm. Smiles bring a sense of calmness and serenity to the person you're approaching.

When smiling at your spectator, it will show them that you really mean well and really have a desire to entertain. Your spectators to be will want to make you feel good when you smile and this will give them more reason to say yes, rather than completely blow you off.

Good grammar also helps, and speaking clearly becomes a valuable asset. If your spectator to be can't understand you, what will make them want to listen to any more of you if they continue to have trouble understanding? If you want to make a joke during your performance using bad grammar and "hizzle nizzle's" then knock yourself out, but when approaching, you don't want your spectator to be to think you are a complete babbling fool.

Approaching is a type of art, if you master it, then you can get right into your magic.

Mitchell

Sep 12, 2007
Normandy, FRANCE
"Let me show you something big".

Mitchell

That doesn't always work for me, but when it does...Man those are 86 well spent seconds !

Anyway, back to the topic. There is a manipulation technique I know of, called "Pied dans la porte" (litterally "foot in the door"). The principle is simple : having a positive answer on a first question gives you better chances of having a positive answer on the second. Here's a interesting scientific study (tested and proven) :
- if you walk up to someone and ask if they can give you a quarter to make a phone call, only 1 person out of 10 will do it.
- if you walk up to someone, and them what time it is ,and then ask if they can give you a quarter to make a phone call, 4 people out of 10 will do it (4 times beter !).

So my point is : it may be awkward to ask immediately if stranger swant to see magic, but if you ask them a simple question before, the chances that they accept are far much better. The simple fact that they stop walking and answer positively to your request makes them more likely accept your performance.

Hope that helps ! :)

Sep 2, 2007
I usually walk up, introduce myself, get to know them a little bit, and then ask if they want to see magic.

I'm just wondering if anyone uses an alias, like do you call yourself "The Dark Angel."

It's kind of like Bruce Wayne calling himself Batman - it creates an aura, allowing him to be more than just a man, a legend.

I don't do it, but it would be interesting to see how people have responsed to those magicians, who do.

Cheer,
JTM

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I'm just wondering if anyone uses an alias, like do you call yourself "The Dark Angel."

It's kind of like Bruce Wayne calling himself Batman - it creates an aura, allowing him to be more than just a man, a legend.

I don't do it, but it would be interesting to see the how people have responsed to those who do.

Cheer,
JTM

Nah.
For I time I thought about calling myself "The Dark Magician" but there's no need to give myself an alias until I make it big.

Sep 2, 2007
Nah.
For I time I thought about calling myself "The Dark Magician" but there's no need to give myself an alias until I make it big.

The Dark Magician, like the Yu-gi-oh card?

I just think that an alias would be interesting way to get known, like if your performing on the street you not John Doe, some normal human peon, your Chameleon, a slick, quick, color changing magician.

How does one come up with an alias, that's hard hitting, and mesmorizing? Because a human cannot levitate, but the Flying Squirrel can. :D

Cheers,
JTM

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results