Food for thought: A Theory11 streaming service?

A Theory11 content based streaming service

• Total voters
Dec 29, 2017
Having been using magicstream for awhile + browsing the store on T11, I found myself wondering. Would a similar pay to access archive be useful?

There are quite a few out of stock items, some of course requiring gimmicks (or possibly you make them. I don’t know, as I haven’t seen the reveal). But Trilogy comes to mind. One of 3 is sold out if memory serves correctly. Now of course rights, licensing all of that is red tape being ignored for this hypothetical.

Would you subscribe to such a service if it were available?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Having been using magicstream for awhile + browsing the store on T11, I found myself wondering. Would a similar pay to access archive be useful?

There are quite a few out of stock items, some of course requiring gimmicks (or possibly you make them. I don’t know, as I haven’t seen the reveal). But Trilogy comes to mind. One of 3 is sold out if memory serves correctly. Now of course rights, licensing all of that is red tape being ignored for this hypothetical.

Would you subscribe to such a service if it were available?
Trilogy is available on Dan and Dave's website btw

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Speaking completely separately here and opinions are my own:

A streaming system at first, especially if you are a hobbyist, seems like a great idea. You have a huge catalog to look through and learn from. But that's also where the biggest weakness lies. The temptation to just learn how everything is done and loosely learn the method for the sake of it is more disruptive to your learning. You're also not going to use everything available to you because realistically that's not feasible. It's best to add something to your repertoire by investing solely in that specific effect, as you are highly more likely to use it if you bought it on its own. Then there's the whole discussion about where the money goes to the creators of the effect or the teacher of the specific effect/sleight. The mindset when going into purchasing an effect should be if you will actually use this in your performances, and if you will take whatever time is necessary to practice and structure the routine. You should only be putting the money into things that you will actually use and get the most personal value per use. If a trick has a refill, take that into account also.

It's all about being smart with your money and know where it's going in progressing your skill and ability. Let's say it's $10 a month, and you're subscribed for a year. That's $120 spent, and let's say you only did a few of those tricks available in the catalog over the course of that year. Were those few performances worth $120 for you? If not, then it wasn't a good value. You may have learned the secrets to a lot of material, but what did you do with it? That's the real question.

In my opinion, a streaming service for magic is not ideal in that case. You may learn a bunch of methods, but you're not going to be encouraged to actually use them. Just my two cents.

Mar 4, 2018
It's all about being smart with your money and know where it's going in progressing your skill and ability. Let's say it's $10 a month, and you're subscribed for a year. That's $120 spent, and let's say you only did a few of those tricks available in the catalog over the course of that year. Were those few performances worth $120 for you? If not, then it wasn't a good value. You may have learned the secrets to a lot of material, but what did you do with it? That's the real question.
That is the reason I would not be interested in it. I couldn't justify the price tag and see where I would get a ROI out of it.

However I do think there is definitely a market for streaming services because a lot of younger people tend to prefer it. It's just not for me personally.

Dec 29, 2017
Speaking completely separately here and opinions are my own:

Were those few performances worth $120 for you? If not, then it wasn't a good value. You may have learned the secrets to a lot of material, but what did you do with it? That's the real question.

In my opinion, a streaming service for magic is not ideal in that case. You may learn a bunch of methods, but you're not going to be encouraged to actually use them. Just my two cents.

I am guilty of that from time to time on magic stream, but on the same merit I've taken one concept used in a video for a trick I would never perform and applied it to another to make something that fits my style. I'd see a decent return of investment if England's card mechanic teachings were on there for sure. But I can only speak for myself, others might just flip through and learn the reveals and then unsub or not actually use them.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Like the value idea put up so far, just thought I'd put in my own 2 cents. Honestly speaking, as long as the price for products is reasonable, I really think the idea of paying a certain amount for a product is more reasonable. You have to really think about what you're buying, if you'll use it, and then how much effort you're willing to put in for it.

With a streaming service, you probably won't be putting in the effort to learn things, but rather going for quantity.

On the other hand, if you know exactly what you're looking for and are willing to do all that, the streaming service provides. There's a friend of mine on these forums who decided on buying a few products from E (not gonna give names to respect his privacy), but saw that buying one month of Magic Stream would be way cheaper. He decided to go with that and put in a ton of effort to learn the things he wanted to learn, so it did benefit him.

With TXI, (all of this is my personal opinion), I feel like the products better suite the first option, as they are well planned and thought out, and benefit those who put in the effort, and a streaming service might contradict that message.

Dec 29, 2017
Like the value idea put up so far, just thought I'd put in my own 2 cents. Honestly speaking, as long as the price for products is reasonable, I really think the idea of paying a certain amount for a product is more reasonable. You have to really think about what you're buying, if you'll use it, and then how much effort you're willing to put in for it.

With a streaming service, you probably won't be putting in the effort to learn things, but rather going for quantity.

On the other hand, if you know exactly what you're looking for and are willing to do all that, the streaming service provides. There's a friend of mine on these forums who decided on buying a few products from E (not gonna give names to respect his privacy), but saw that buying one month of Magic Stream would be way cheaper. He decided to go with that and put in a ton of effort to learn the things he wanted to learn, so it did benefit him.

With TXI, (all of this is my personal opinion), I feel like the products better suite the first option, as they are well planned and thought out, and benefit those who put in the effort, and a streaming service might contradict that message.

I do agree, as most of the non-gimmick heavy products are rather affordable. If you were to compare to E, learning 3-4 non tangible things can be around $30 a piece and they have a platform that does make more sense for a video library service.

T11's library would be much smaller in comparison but you'd get some insane stuff if that were the case. I'll use England's collection for example. I believe the entirety would cost more than a year's sub at standard rates and take more than a year to even begin to master.

It was just an idea that popped into mind and I figured why not make it a food for thought topic :)

Reactions: Maaz Hasan

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The mindset when going into purchasing an effect should be if you will actually use this in your performances, and if you will take whatever time is necessary to practice and structure the routine. You should only be putting the money into things that you will actually use and get the most personal value per use. If a trick has a refill, take that into account also.

I couldn't have said it any better.

The only thing that I'd like to add is that I like being able to go back over things. Something I read or see in a video might not work for me at that moment, but a couple of years later I want to use the concept. It's neat to be able to go back and get some additional value out of something you've already read or watched.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results