fooled by a kid:)

Jul 23, 2010
so yestarday i was performing for a group of people and it went great but after my performance was when it happen. A kid about 10 or 11 years old and his dad came up to me and gave me a nice tip (which i spent on a big mac deal)
anyway the kid told me if he could show me something and i said sure so he told me to stand near him and try to lift him which was easy until the second time. the second time i tried i couldnt lift him at all and at first i wasnt trying but then i gave it my all but i failed. We started laughing and i told him how he did that and he said "its none of your business" that really made my day, so now i ask the people here to shed some light on this, does anyone know how its done and can you tell me where i can learn the secret. Half of me really wants to know how its done but the other doesnt, but i think ill listen to the part of me that wants to know.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
My suggestion is to do your research and grow a bit for the experience. Though we do respect that you asked us how it is done, we ask that you respect us in not giving you the simple answer. Who knows, you might learn some other things along the way that make you grow even fonder of the art.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Great story! I love being fooled. I like to hold onto those moments.

I have to say though I agree with the others. I would hate to perform for another magician and find him trying to find my secret online. I'm sure you understand. Here's a hint though he fooled you with a classic :)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Nice. I love being fooled by anyone that can do it well. Well, no, it's more accurate to say I love seeing magical things. A guy at a party a couple months ago did a very simple card trick to myself and my friend, and though I figured it out when I thought about it, it got me for a couple seconds and those couple seconds were beautiful to me. There's other tricks that I have been puzzling over for years, and I still don't know how they are done, and I love that. Some of Ricky Jay's, Derren Brown's and Teller's material is what I go for when I just want to feel the wonder.

I do know the method behind the kid's trick. It is a classic effect, and the best place to learn it has nothing to do with magic. With some research, I'm sure you could find something.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
The truth is out there.....

Seriously though, I've been doing magic for over 10 years and though I know the effect we're talking about I wouldn't know where to find it in print so I think it would be good to give him an idea of what to look for, whether it be a name of a book or principle.

I've been involved with magic going on a little over 20 years and it's a rare thing nowadays to be genuinely fooled by card or coin, so take it from me that you should enjoy the experience you had with the kid. It's likely that someday you will discover how this is done, and when you do you will be disappointed, so don't rush that moment too fast.

- Steve

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The truth is out there.....

Seriously though, I've been doing magic for over 10 years and though I know the effect we're talking about I wouldn't know where to find it in print so I think it would be good to give him an idea of what to look for, whether it be a name of a book or principle.

Look into Body Magic by Fisher for the effect it is often titled the Georgian Magnet.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results