For those who have participated in the 'Fake Reveal' contests

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
All right.
These contests are funny; making fake reveals/tutorials of tricks on Theory11 to combat illegal exposure.

What is funnier are the responses in the YouTube comments.

So with that in mind, here's my question: what is the funniest response you have received in one of your fake reveal videos?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Here are a couple...

"I gave this a thumbs up because I believe in my heart that this has to be satire."

"I'm gonna miss those 2:15....."

It's funny how many people think I'm serious

"This is cool and all, but you ruined the feeling of amazement I had watching it. I know magic is fake, but ignorance is bliss man, still cool though showing how it happened"

frozono9

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2014
Barcelona
Here's the best comments I received on my Counterfeit tutorial:

"thanks bruh you saved me 25 dollars :)"

"I have seen other videos that say they are revealing this trick, and every single one of them have a different explanation, So I am starting to think this is all bull****, other people say you need magicians wax, so all of these videos are fake, i am just buying god damn trick"

Love all these comments!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I just had to report one user for death threats and threatening my family. I always delete his comments because they are grossly inappropriate, but he started to cross the line. Mostly people just trash me because I'm exposing magic lol

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Justin, I have had no less than 5 reports on you specifically. Every time, I get sent a YouTube link and a message from someone who is so angry that there is someone else revealing magic, and when I click on it I see your name and laugh. It is a fun thing to explain.

// L

Last edited:
Reactions: Justin.Morris

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Ah man! I'm hoping to get some funny ones like that.

I THINK I had a guy calling my 'Counterfeit' video a 'work of the devil', but reading the rest of the message, he was serious...again, I say 'I think' because Google Translate made a terrible mess of the translation, so I deleted it. Kinda wish I didn't do that.

I DO have some people thinking I'm absolutely serious and the whole thing is just flying over their heads like a majestic pigeon

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I just had to report one user for death threats and threatening my family. I always delete his comments because they are grossly inappropriate, but he started to cross the line. Mostly people just trash me because I'm exposing magic lol

Your reveals must be more convincing then mine. I only have a couple who get mad at me revealing the magic. Most people just go crazy about how stupid I am and how I suck at magic and how they think that I think that I am really exposing the magic.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Haha I just read through some of the comments of yours. Funny stuff. "man. u r a crap. y do u do this to yourself?" lol

I used to feel shamed by them and felt like I should defend myself, but now I just let it roll

I did take the first dozen bad comments I got personally, then realized that as the person who hosted the video, I can erase comments at will. That problem got solved.

I have to take pointers from the videos you guys do. Seriously. even though it's fun making blatantly obvious troll-exposures. I'd much rather do them better and add some 'exposure notice' emails across Lyles desk ;)

Dec 31, 2014
Just had someone report @Josh Burch's Angle Zero tutorial today, haha. I laugh every time.

// L
Well, as embarrassing as this is, it was mine. I don't know what I was thinking, and I'm incredibly embarrassed to admit it too. Kinda feel bad about it now, and stupid, but I guess it's good in the long run to stop copyright exposure. I feel like I've kinda been made fun of, which is ok, because it was silly of me to think the "exposed video" was real. So kudos to you Josh, you got me fooled.

Dec 31, 2014
Sorry, that sounds a little rude. Just a little upset because I was trying to do something right, but it ended up being a silly mistake. Sorry for the report and sorry for making such a stupid mistake.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Not stupid at all! The goal is to be fooling. This thread is about the people who go bananas over this which just means they care about the art. After he was informed the guy who called me a monster laughed about it as most do. People like you have integrity and respond maturely to the issue of exposure. Magic need more people like you! Many people are just vicious and over the top (like the death threats!). That's where there is a good laugh. And it fun to see how effective these videos have been!
Luke, keep your eye out for the next fake reveal contest and make your own! There may be one after the next batch of new releases on August 31st! Thanks for caring!

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Sorry, that sounds a little rude. Just a little upset because I was trying to do something right, but it ended up being a silly mistake. Sorry for the report and sorry for making such a stupid mistake.

Hey Luke!

Don't worry about it at all! The entire point of these videos is to be, like Justin said, as fooling as possible. The fact that people report some of these videos is simply a testament to how good the people make them! I would be willing to bet that you didn't watch the video all the way through at all, and that is fine. You probably didn't even know that there were fake tutorials out there. The videos exist to make it harder to find legitimate tutorials. In this case, the videos did their job, and you did an awesome thing by reporting it! Never hesitate to report these, if it is real we can often do something to get the tutorials removed.

We aren't laughing at you, not one bit. We are laughing at the fact that some of these fake tutorials are so convincing that they get reported, despite not having the right method.

Thanks for the support! You rock!

// L

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Well, as embarrassing as this is, it was mine. I don't know what I was thinking, and I'm incredibly embarrassed to admit it too. Kinda feel bad about it now, and stupid, but I guess it's good in the long run to stop copyright exposure. I feel like I've kinda been made fun of, which is ok, because it was silly of me to think the "exposed video" was real. So kudos to you Josh, you got me fooled.

I'm sure I've done the same thing a few times. It's great that you care so much!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results