Forcing non-existent cards

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
Hi everyone I just wanted to drop in to ask for some help.

For the last six months I have been exploring different methods to force a card to a spectator that isn't actually in a deck when examined.

I have mostly used a simple homemade gimmicked card to produce such an effect and I was happy to a point but it had restrictions to it.

I was inspired by the idea when I read 'The royal road to card magic' but the method in there needed the deck to be in a particular order because of this I feel that it is extremely impractical.

However recently I have been trying to develop a more or less impromptu method for a 'card thought of' force that isn't in the deck at all. I have tried my method for the last couple of days with some success.

What I am asking is does anyone know of any resources that I could follow up on to study this concept more.

Thank you for any help anyone can provide

Matt​

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tribute to Varone is by Henry Evans, and is pretty darn cool.

I can't remember the origins of the gimmick, but Richard Sanders uses a pretty nice gimmick to force a card which can then be shown to not be in the deck at all in his Sanders projects vol.1.

I'm assuming you were talking about the L'Homme Masque subliminal force earlier? I like it, but you're absolutely right, it's impractical for frequent use.

CL

Dec 19, 2007
Italy ,Milano
Tribute to Varone is by Henry Evans, and is pretty darn cool.

I can't remember the origins of the gimmick, but Richard Sanders uses a pretty nice gimmick to force a card which can then be shown to not be in the deck at all in his Sanders projects vol.1.

I'm assuming you were talking about the L'Homme Masque subliminal force earlier? I like it, but you're absolutely right, it's impractical for frequent use.

CL

yer henry evans no Paul Harris. :D
Anywai it use a gimmick that allow you to force a card an then it disappear from the deck and it can be foud everywhere

Jun 14, 2008
I saw Keith Barry perform an effect where he showed a blank deck (to audience not spectator who previously saw a normal deck) and placed a rubber band around it.

He then told the participant to pull the (blank) deck open anywhere he wanted and to remember the card he saw.

The spectator saw the 7d, which he had left as a prediction under the spectator at the start of the performance.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, but it's an INSANE effect. Oh, and I'm not sure who created it btw.

Steven.

Jan 31, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The gimmick that richard sanders used is shown on effect called thumb struck by joshua jay at penguin magic

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
thank you

First thing thank you guys for helping me out the advice i will definatly look into. The gimmick i have used is a misprint gimmick 8 spades/7 spades in conjuction with spread forces that were developed by tom baxter.

but i have been trying to work out a technique to make this more or less impromptu so i could give some one a card get them to hold it. riffle or spread the deck in front of someones eyes and make them pick a card that isn't there i.e the card they have had in their hands the entire time and to do this with no dups, gimmicks or psych forces

i've tried out this a few times (riffling the cards) at college and i have been sucessful a few times

has any one seen this kind of thing?

thanks again for your help!

matt

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I don't think I've ever seen this kind of thing... but I did just now come up with a very bare bones method that is totally impromptu and can be a different card every time if you so wish to repeat the effect though I wouldn't suggest it.

I would recommend checking out the other people's suggestions as this is stuff already published (not to say that the method I've come up with isn't, it probably is) and is recommended by others.

- Sean

For ghetto-fab magicians,

You can actually make-up a mis-indexed card with a sharpie. I don't think I've ever read or saw this method published anywhere, so I'll take the liberty of posting it here. If it's against the rules, I'll understand if the post gets censored. Essentially-- you can use this gaff to force a card from the deck and then spread the cards on the table to show it completely gone. The cards can be counted-- only 51. The card can then be reproduced from your favorite location.

Remove the King of Clubs. With a black sharpie, simply paint over the clubs to look like spades on one corner of the card. You will have to modify the small pip under the K as well as the large one in the picture of the king. Granted, the spades won't be as perfect or as flawless as the other spades in the deck, but a brief riffle-force peek is all they'll see of the card anyway. After that-- the apparent King of Spades will be legitimately gone. Simply rotate the deck 180-degrees and ribbon spread. It's very, very convincing. You can remove the real King of Spades from its pre-hidden location. Ta-dah.

If this doesn't suit your style, I recommend learning to actually split cards to make your own gaffs. Or hell, you can simply puchase an assortment deck with this gaff in it. I only offer this as a quick, efficient way to produce a decent alternative. I came upon it after realizing I didn't have the necessary gaff in my deck while I was at a paid gig. After I made this ghetto version, I saw that it still worked wonders.

Feel free to PM me for more details if you need them.

RS.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
You can use the gimmicked card Richard Sanders uses to perform "behind my back" and "gone". simply hand a dup of the force/gimmicked card to the spectator , then force the card. The way i would do it though is control the card on top,turn the deck over and spread to show their card has vanished (keeping the top 2 cards square) , i would then reveal the card at an impossible location and while they are astonished cop the card and hand the deck to be examined as the card is already in my pocket.

Peace
George

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results