Forums where it's OK to talk about secrets regarding effects?

Jan 23, 2023
Are there any forums where its OK to talk about secrets regarding tricks? For example, if I'm working on a particular trick, and I'm looking for help, do I have to "talk in code," or is there a space where I can talk freely?

Thanks.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
There isn't any place where you can discuss secrets openly. You can ask for advice on certain techniques like, "what are different ways to move a card from the bottom to the top of a deck" (overhand shuffle) or "what force can you recommend that is done in a spectator's hands" (203rd force). You can even ask for help on common sleights outside of the context of a trick, "I'm having problems with a top palm...." You can't mention the methods of effects that are for sale in videos or books - that is unfair to the creator of those products. You can mention problems you have having, "I'm not sure where my pinky goes in [insert name of effect]." Ultimately, none of us want the method for effects we are performing being exposed on a public forum. If all else fails, you can discuss effects with someone else who has purchased the effect or, if you are developing your own effects, someone who is knowledgable about the area of magic you are working in.

Reactions: KJIsaacson
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results