Getting people to take you seriously.

Apr 20, 2014
Do you/did you ever have problems with peopel taking you seriously as a magician? I find that even my family kind of acts like its just a stupid/childish hobby and it kind of breaks down my confidence. Any ideas on getting people to take you seriously?

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA
This is the question everyone hates to hear, but how old are you? Your age (both actual and apparent) can affect how you're perceived in anything you do, especially with a fringe skill like magic. When I was 19 and trying to emulate David Blaine, nobody took me seriously. Now that I'm almost 27 and I go around acting like an escaped lunatic, people seem way more into what I'm doing. I don't quite understand it.

Also, what do you mean by "take you seriously?" Are you finding that people don't take your career aspirations seriously, or do you feel your spectators' demeanor/reactions aren't serious or intense enough?

On a general basis I try to make my act as much fun as possible, so to do that I make sure it's fun for me to do. If you're not having fun, your audience won't be either, and that's important to remember even for an act with a serious tone.

If people aren't taking you and your magic seriously, that might just be a matter of time spent with the craft. I'm not a serious act at all, but people can tell that I'm dedicated and skilled at what I do partially because of the amount of costuming and props I've lined up and partially because of the depth and strength of my character performance. People can tell almost at a glance that I've spent a great deal of time, money, and energy fashioning myself into a pink wizard and gaining the skills and story that go into my act. It might be that once you've spent more time building your magic and your character and shown a great level of dedication to it, people will be willing to take it more seriously.

Also, if your family isn't taking you seriously, ignore them. That's totally normal for families to do. If your magic career really starts to go somewhere, I'm sure they'll be more supportive, but early on it's probably going to seem like a lame hobby to them. They know you, so they're less inclined to believe your character. In that way, performing for strangers is actually better.

Oct 18, 2008
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5VplmTSMSg[/video]

this video illustrates that magicians (young and old...established or amateur) come across varying degrees of hesitation, criticism, etc. when it concerns the practice/study of magic.

I myself, turned 30 this year, come across it every time I have a deck of cards in my hand (which is almost always, lol). I had a pair of colleagues ask me why I have a deck in my hand, and I very plainly stated that I study card magic/sleight of hand, and they looked at each other, and rolled their eyes. My own family refers to me as 'playing' with cards when they see me rehearsing a sleight. It all feels very condescending, so I know how you feel. I view card manipulation as a craft, but obviously, not everyone does. on the flip side, I've wowed those same coworkers, and family members with a basic (but impactful) Ambitious Card, and its more than made up for negativity.

in short. you can't change their minds, but don't let 'em change you. ::Confucius say::

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Its for this exact reason that I don't perform for my family. Same reason why my comedian cousin doesn't perform for just family. Do your thing. Perform for strangers. One day, you'll do a show and your family members will attend. They'll never buy into your character because they KNOW you, but once they see you successfully work a crowd... I think then and only then will they understand and view it differently

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results