Gig Performance

Jun 1, 2009
Hey guys, I had a gig a few days ago at my mom's work and their second office as well and I got a video of it. The video is only the first performance (I forgot my camera for the second one.) I'm looking for just advice, critique, comments, anything you guys wish to bring to the table.
I think it was a bit rough, I did a lot better the second time around (when it came to jokes and building up suspense) but I would like to get your guys' opinions.

http://vimeo.com/10755466

Thanks!

Jacob

Jun 22, 2009
sarnia Ont. Canada
Hey man I liked it you had some good humor and if your second performance was better thats even cooler. I'm not going to criticize you because even though I have been performing for a long time I have only had a few gigs. I also liked the magic. And remember you can only get better from here on out so keep it up.
Good job.

"Fresh squeezed miracles" DG

Jul 14, 2008
There is nothing I can say, but pure awesomeness towards to your performance. Humour is a must in performance in which you clearly executed! Keep doing what you are doing! It seems that everyone had a fun time.

Jun 1, 2009
Thanks guys! I appreciate the warm feedback. The only thing I critiqued myself on was I should've built up the finale a bit more, and slowed down everything just a bit.

In the second performance I got to throw in a joke or two I wanted to do the first time but never got around to it, I really wish I had that filmed as well, I felt much more relaxed.

Thanks again guys!

Jacob

Nov 7, 2009
Cards across was good and funny
Doc Daleys ace trick was good but a bit muttered
Biddle was bad It didnt seem to flow and there was some long pauses
Carbon paper was good but definatally needs work
Invisible Deck was ok but the taking of the card semmed rushed

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Only watched it once, and I'll probably send you a more detailed PM about it with more in depth critique, overall it was good.

The first effect (well mentalist call the first effect 'you') was great. You introduced yourself, got everyone clapping and let them know it's okay to clap and have a good time; at the same time you established that you weren't trying to fool them just to trick them. I think the applause either way starting things off very well and everyone now knows that this is going to be relaxed.

The cards across, though slightly rushed, was done really well. I prefer two spectators hand to hand, BUT that's neither here nor there as everyone enjoyed it.

Doc Daley's Trick was performed very well, Alfie was right when he said it seemed a bit muttered throughout, but that's too much of a problem.

The biddle trick didn't seem to flow, not because of the pauses, but you said it was about 'estimation' and then had a volunteer pick out cards, I think it can be overhauled and tweaked to flow better either presentation or handling-wise.

Carbon Paper was very good. The only problem I had with it was blocking, I could tell you're used to performing for smaller groups, but if you would have turned your body so that everyone to the right could have watched you burn the card it would have opened and invited everyone in. The script for this one could also be refined, it just seemed meh (compared to the potential).

ID. Overall it was great, the selection did seem rushed, that wasn't entirely your fault but it didn't hurt the effect any. I have a few lines I'll send you in the PM that'll help build it and make it play better without changing anything. Also, for that big of a group it's almost better to do the fan at chest height with the back of the cards facing you and the display showing to everyone (I think we talked about this though.)

Anyway, I'm going to watch it again tomorrow and then PM you some better (more in depth) advice. Overall it was a good performance, and if the second one ended up better than the first then kudos. Almost everything I'm going to end up PMing you are things that would work themselves out through regular performing for this sized group.

Jun 1, 2009
The first effect (well mentalist call the first effect 'you') was great. ... I think the applause either way starting things off very well and everyone now knows that this is going to be relaxed.
Thanks, I went over that a few times to get the timing down (I guess it turned out well?)

The cards across, though slightly rushed, was done really well. I prefer two spectators hand to hand, BUT that's neither here nor there as everyone enjoyed it.
Yes, I feel as if the whole routine was a bit rushed. It was my first actual "hired" gig, so I guess nerves got me a little. I am actually talking to a friend about doing a cards across with the cards in envelopes, so that will most likely take over this current one.

Doc Daley's Trick was performed very well, Alfie was right when he said it seemed a bit muttered throughout, but that's too much of a problem.
I always seem to not be clear enough (speaking wise) with that trick, not sure where that comes from, I'll work on that.

The biddle trick didn't seem to flow, not because of the pauses, but you said it was about 'estimation' and then had a volunteer pick out cards, I think it can be overhauled and tweaked to flow better either presentation or handling-wise.
Ok, I had a script for it (roughly) but I didn't have a good transition into it in this set. We can discuss it in the PM.

Carbon Paper was very good. The only problem I had with it was blocking, I could tell you're used to performing for smaller groups, but if you would have turned your body so that everyone to the right could have watched you burn the card it would have opened and invited everyone in. The script for this one could also be refined, it just seemed meh (compared to the potential).
Ok, I can see that. Yeah I wasn't very used to this large of a crowd, so that can explain the blocking. Again, we can discuss a script in PM. I've tried to script this but I can't come up with anything to work with.

ID. Overall it was great, the selection did seem rushed, that wasn't entirely your fault but it didn't hurt the effect any. I have a few lines I'll send you in the PM that'll help build it and make it play better without changing anything. Also, for that big of a group it's almost better to do the fan at chest height with the back of the cards facing you and the display showing to everyone (I think we talked about this though.)
Yes we did talk about that, and I tried it before hand while practicing and some other cards slipped. I guess its worn down a bit, I have some Dullcote spray for it though. I just didn't want to risk it. The reason it was rushed was because I saw another card slip out, and that would ruin the whole trick, so I just closed the spread quickly to avoid flashing.

Anyway, I'm going to watch it again tomorrow and then PM you some better (more in depth) advice. Overall it was a good performance, and if the second one ended up better than the first then kudos. Almost everything I'm going to end up PMing you are things that would work themselves out through regular performing for this sized group.
Alright cool, I'm looking forward to it.

Jacob

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results