"Granted"

Jul 2, 2008
Here's something I just posted on another forum and thought you guys might want to hear it! Something that's been on my mind for a while, and though hard for me to put into words, I tried. Here:

I believe that there are a lot of things in magic we in a way, "take for granted." By this, I mean...well, this. Imagine you've never seen a card trick before, or you've only seen magic on tv, or you're not REGULARLY entertained by magi. Having a card change infront of your eyes, visually, is freakin' AMAZING! Having two cards switch, your card magically transpose inbetween the two jokers, or having a card vanish are all absolutely mystifying things. But, I don't think a lot of us milk the effect for what it's worth. To us, having a "triumphed" deck magically restore is an everday occurence, but this isn't so with the average lay audience. I think we have to imagine ourselves from a spectator's point of view. If they magically fixed themselves, I would need a moment to reel back and say HOLY LLAMA DID THAT JUST HAPPEN?

I think we skip ahead a tad bit too quickly, or don't realize how amazing it really is since we're magi. I know I am guilty of this too. Even something as simple as having their card appear sandwiched between two others is jaw-dropping, but since we don't realize this ourselves it isn't portrayed in our actions. Just some thoughts.

What do YOU think?

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
I can't agree more. Sometimes, I have even experimented with taking a level of a spectator when I perform, and I act surprised when something happens as well, which usually makes the spectators freak out even more.

Interesting post and well worded.

Thanks for that,

-Sanj

i always try to live by this. i actually showed my gf the Radar trick (pick a card but not this one, now pic this one) its an old easy trick. i did the trick and was amazed. its easy, but noone knows it.
Magicians think they need the next best thing. it IS NOT TRUE. you'll always see magicians performing at a resturant, or kids party, or event, and you'll think he is a lousy magician, but its because the easythings KILL

Jul 2, 2008
I agree! It almost makes you wonder if studying such complicated things is worth it. Theory11, don't shoot me! I love Vernon and such; but what does the spectators see?

Back to the topic, we just take these things for granted! Theyre a lot more amazing than we realize.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I was thinking this the other day when I was practicing a routine, trying to put myself in the spectator point of view. We magicians don't really know how amazing our own effects are because were on a whole different playing field from the audience.
What were doing to make the trick possible makes sense, but what our audience see's is magic.

We need to realize exactly what it looks like from the specs side so we can play the part of the patter to really milk the effect for all it's worth.
Great observation!

I was thinking this the other day when I was practicing a routine, trying to put myself in the spectator point of view. We magicians don't really know how amazing our own effects are because were on a whole different playing field from the audience.
What were doing to make the trick possible makes sense, but what our audience see's is magic.

We need to realize exactly what it looks like from the specs side so we can play the part of the patter to really milk the effect for all it's worth.
Great observation!

Agreed, the thing is many have said to try to think of how you felt the first time when you saw your first magic trick and make your audiencee a feel that same way, but that is kind of hard to do once you know the secrets behind the art. Magic in away kind of dies in a sense once you become a magi because once you know all the sleights, and when you see new magic tricks you may already have a sense on how it is done, so you dont have that spark like a layman would have when he sees the trick. The main thing I would suggest you can do is watch/ study videos of laymens actions after an effect from other magi videos, like Blaine, Wayne, Criss, Cryil etc. and watch to see what they really reactsto, and get a sense on how they kind of feel.
p.s.

Remember its the simple tricks that have the biggest reactions.

-T.J.

Jul 2, 2008
Thanks for the feedback guys, I totally agree (well mostly!)

I DO however concur that a lot of adults would prefer something such as Sam the Bellhop opposed to a colour change. I mean, I get asked frequently to perform it, always by adults, and even teenagers. Once they get past openers and such, and flashy things they begin to want more, want to be more involved emotionally and such. Therfore, I'd conclude that it isn't "pointless" to learn these sleights and long routines, as (well they're great for jam sessions!) and they, in the right time and audience, are in high demand.

D

Deleted member 2755

We take more than just tricks for granted. Michael Ammar said in his interview on TA that in the early 90s, he was doing a tour in Russia. He gave a pack of Bicycle Playing Cards to one of the people at the magic convention. The man started crying.

Also, indeed magicians do forget how powerful magic is for laymen.

-Doug

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
We take more than just tricks for granted. Michael Ammar said in his interview on TA that in the early 90s, he was doing a tour in Russia. He gave a pack of Bicycle Playing Cards to one of the people at the magic convention. The man started crying.

Also, indeed magicians do forget how powerful magic is for laymen.

-Doug

To be fair, if Michael Ammar gave ME a deck of Bikes, i would have to enroll myself into a mental institution after suffering a breakdown.

Jul 2, 2008
I agree!

But that's so sad, they were so poor there at the time I'm guessing, after the fall of the USSR.

My friend in Ireland and another in Norway both tell me they have to order bikes and always tell me, "Just got some bikes today! :D"

And I reply, "Yeah and? I have two nine packs from Costco, big dea- oh..... I forgot..."

You are completely right, for a long time i rush in the trick and did not give a time for a reaction to happen, if i do not look amazed by the trick, the spectator usualy do not get either.

(sorry for my bad inglish... still on book 4 of: inglish for idiots)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results