Grip Troubles

May 24, 2015
Currently working on my Index Cut and the Sybil Cut. I'm having such a hard time with this grip. Holding a pack of cards with just my pinky, ring, and middle finger.

2LVE8Jw.jpg

At this moment I don't have the strength to maintain this grip while executing certain moves.

Will strength come over time with practice? Or, is there anything else I can do to strengthen my hands to perform this type of grip?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
While I'm not familiar with these moves. I have similar troubles with things like the 'Thumb Cut' and 'Backpack'

I would go on YouTube and see if you can locate a tutorial of those specific moves and see if they hold the deck differently or in a way that you would find comfortable, or provide helpful ways that can ease your troubles.

Other than that, the best I can provide is just to continue practicing. Usually performing something with a foreign grip might provide troubles initially. Just keep at it. It'll get better through practice and a keen mind for troubleshooting to clear your path.

Good luck. I hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress!

Reactions: ChristopherR2
May 24, 2015
While I'm not familiar with these moves. I have similar troubles with things like the 'Thumb Cut' and 'Backpack'

I would go on YouTube and see if you can locate a tutorial of those specific moves and see if they hold the deck differently or in a way that you would find comfortable, or provide helpful ways that can ease your troubles.

Other than that, the best I can provide is just to continue practicing. Usually performing something with a foreign grip might provide troubles initially. Just keep at it. It'll get better through practice and a keen mind for troubleshooting to clear your path.

Good luck. I hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess for me it get's frustrating when you clearly understand the mechanics of the move but you are hindered from mastering it because of the physical limitations on where you are at today. All comes with the learning curve I guess. I'll figure it out.

Mar 7, 2015
Try to use a deck that does not slides too much.
In my opinion that is the hardest part of Sybil, so try placing a packet in that grip, and when you feel comfortable with it, practice Sybil. Hope it helps

May 24, 2015
Try to use a deck that does not slides too much.
In my opinion that is the hardest part of Sybil, so try placing a packet in that grip, and when you feel comfortable with it, practice Sybil. Hope it helps

Thanks for the tips and the warm welcome in the previous post.

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
That's called a straddle grip, and it looks like you're applying too much pressure with your ring finger. It should basically just be resting on the top edge of the packet while your middle an pinky fingers do the work of gripping the packet.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: ChristopherR2
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results