Guardians in Maxim Magazine

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Guys,

Just wanted to clarify that this was NOT a paid advertisement. Maxim contacted us after seeing the Guardians featured on a prominent online Men's Buyers Guide (also not a paid advertisement) and decided they would like to feature them in their upcoming Holiday Gift Guide. We dug the idea.

Plus, Sarah Michelle Gellar is on the cover. I mean, if it was Omarosa or Rosie we probably would have declined. But it's Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Buffy loves the Guardians. Ah... Buffy.

waynehouchin

theory11 artist
Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chico, CA
www.waynehouchin.com
Guys,

Just wanted to clarify that this was NOT a paid advertisement. Maxim contacted us after seeing the Guardians featured on a prominent online Men's Buyers Guide (also not a paid advertisement) and decided they would like to feature them in their upcoming Holiday Gift Guide. We dug the idea.

Plus, Sarah Michelle Gellar is on the cover. I mean, if it was Omarosa or Rosie we probably would have declined. But it's Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Buffy loves the Guardians. Ah... Buffy.

Well said!

Here's how I look at it: If this were a national ad that we had placed featuring a product that teaches how to perform magic (TNR etc.) Then I think there would be a legitimate issue that would need to be addressed. This, however, is not the case. One of the biggest issues that ALL of us have with using a designer deck of cards is that they are not recognizable to the majority of laymen. Those of you who are workers know exactly what I'm talking about. Your average laymen will not recognize the cards - therefore the cards draw UN-NEEDED ATTENTION and in some cases suspicion to themselves during your performance.

Maxim has well over 6 million subscribers - and that's not counting all of the stores (Barnes & Noble etc) that they're in. This is a great opportunity for the general lay public to become a bit more aware of the Guardians. I do not think that this will hurt us or magic in the least bit, on the contrary - I think that this is fantastic for us. We have a deck that is turning heads, not just within the magic industry, but amongst EVERYONE. That's pretty darn cool!

As House said on todays episode "If there is no wonder once the secret is revealed, there was never any wonder to begin with". Instead of worrying about your precious exposure, work on making the magic an experiance that is still amazing even when you know the secret. Don't tell me that you don't stop enjoying watching your favourite magicians even thought you know how they do a trick? Of course not, because those are the magicians that make things amazing without worrying about the secret. Everyone knows that what you aren't doing is real magic, so if they know the secret or not, they won't be entertained unless you can perform it entertainingly.

Ah yeah that was a cool episode of House!
Haha he tried doing a shape-shifter change.... that was funny.
But yeah, its not that big of a deal. If people want to buy some cards from here
then let them, who cares what other people (that we dont know) do?

Calvin Lauber

Aug 31, 2007
This is all great talk and all, but why wasn't Katie put on the cover?!?!?

By the way i'm not mad for the post in Maxim, I just like most people would like to see the guardians getting some publicity so that they don't feel so alien when out in the public.

Sypris

C

clarrus

I'm hoping more peope read about it and see it. I wanna sport my Guardians around and make people jealous because I am able to spend $5 on a deck of cards. Once they know about Wynn and Lee Asher, then i'll sport that around WITHOUT washing my hands before I handle them......yep, I live on the edge......

Sep 1, 2007
Well said!

Here's how I look at it: If this were a national ad that we had placed featuring a product that teaches how to perform magic (TNR etc.) Then I think there would be a legitimate issue that would need to be addressed. This, however, is not the case. One of the biggest issues that ALL of us have with using a designer deck of cards is that they are not recognizable to the majority of laymen. Those of you who are workers know exactly what I'm talking about. Your average laymen will not recognize the cards - therefore the cards draw UN-NEEDED ATTENTION and in some cases suspicion to themselves during your performance.

Maxim has well over 6 million subscribers - and that's not counting all of the stores (Barnes & Noble etc) that they're in. This is a great opportunity for the general lay public to become a bit more aware of the Guardians. I do not think that this will hurt us or magic in the least bit, on the contrary - I think that this is fantastic for us. We have a deck that is turning heads, not just within the magic industry, but amongst EVERYONE. That's pretty darn cool!

Well I really don't care about this add. But I don't understand how you can call this place "underground" and then send laymen to it. Like what the heck? It's like letting people into the CIA just to look around.

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
Okay... say I sell magic tricks and cards and maybe even some books on comedy.. I adversitse the comedy in movie magazies, and I advesitse the car in Pocker Players magacing oike "Card Player". I have now inadvertantly pushed many laymen into a place that does not respect what 90% of the product ine is.

And as for the reader base demographic of Stuff and Mamixm.. they are teenage bys from 14 to 24. Just te perfect ones that think knowing a couple trick will impress the girl at the club enough to let her sleep with them.

It goes back to the old advert of "be the life of the party" magic used to be.

The adversiting of the companies never change. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. A truly underground resourse wouldn't charge for anythihng, but would have very picky allowange guidelines.

Maybe that is a project from the future?

Nov 22, 2007
yep.. THEORY 11 IS A JOKE.. NOTHING BUT A JOKE.. Lie to the viewers describing themselves as an underground magic website.. But truthfully THEORY11 is nothing but a bunch of Sellouts.. But w/e its done with now and the whole entire nation can get on here and check this "Underground" site out.. LMAO... I dont care what you advertise yourself as stick to your mode.. Obviously your not an underground site... Because you announced to the whole world about this site..Peace.. CONGRATS MIKE SUPER!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
That is great I will have to check out the mag. Happy to see some more advetising for this great community.

Nov 22, 2007
On the other hand.. I heard about this great site coming out called Magicians Underground so..cant wait to see what thats like.. see ya guys

Sep 2, 2007
those who are outraged are being farcical. I just got my 2nd edition guardians and noticed a huge improvement. How truely underground do you have be to be underground.

it was a product spot on someones wish list. Would you call a kid who puts products from this site on his xmas list guilt of exposure? What constitutes exposure? Giving permission to have a product included in a magazine is not exposure any more than what phenomenon is doing, or even pushing daisies.

those who are upset are either nervous that someone might out them on the "secret" or greedy and do not want people to be able to perform the same trick that they bought from an artist on this site.

I highly doubt the average "lay person" would spend any money for a trick then go around looking for someone who has that trick waiting to out them. and those who dont want people to know about a trick, should practice more and try creating their own routines and tricks.

congrats on the list.

C

clarrus

what's the difference between the magazine ad and having T11 as your friend on facebook, etc.? It's all good.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results