Has this been done?

Oct 6, 2007
I thought of an effect which I call 'Paranoia' (yes, thats how cool I am :D)

The effect:

The spectator chooses a any card (can be signed).
The magican shuffles the card into the deck, and hands the spectator the deck for shuffling too.
The spectator spreads out the deck face down on a flat surface.
He connects with the spectator by holding hands.
The magician looks at the sepctator in the eye, and tells them to repeat the card to themselvesand THINK of the card.
The magician then waves his hand over the spread out cards, and from the spectators connection to the magician, he is able to locate the spectator's card.

If it has been done before, it really won't stop me from saying that I created it. As Jay Sankey says "New is nothing".

ANyway, just wodnering if this has been done before? Thanks

Sep 1, 2007
I said this in another thread but I'll say it again.

Don't worry about it. It's not important if it's been done before, if you make it completely original then don't worry about it being done before, it's all yours, your style and your trick, so let it sit with you for a while, let it become a signature trick of yours.

Who cares if it's been done before? make it your own.

~Beans

Oct 6, 2007
I couldn't agree more.

However, I just want to know if it has been done before, just so I don't get sued if I ever choose to publish the trick.........................................?:rolleyes:

Sep 1, 2007
You won't get sued, and if your thinking about selling it anytime soon, I will deter you from that thought now. (even if you weren't I still will, you and everyone else that will read this.)

The amount of new material being released from young kids is so depressing. They're in it for the business and not for the art, they see all these kids coming out with great tricks, so they go to make their own after being into magic for maybe a year or so, and try to market the effect, with no real trial and error or experience in the real world.

Make it perfect, make it yours, then if you slow down and pick up another profession or you become a magician and retire, then release your signature effect.

~Beans

P.S. Think about all the tricks with the same basic idea just different methods out there, I doubt you can get sued for coming up with this, there isn't just one way to do it (more than one way to skin a cat?.

Nov 6, 2007
I couldn't agree more.

However, I just want to know if it has been done before, just so I don't get sued if I ever choose to publish the trick.........................................?:rolleyes:

The basic plot of the trick has been done many times before using various methods. I don't know what method you are using so I can't say if what you are doing is original.

Oct 6, 2007
Could you elaborate more, i.e. posting the link to a performance video?

GIving just a name of a trick isnt really helpful at all.......thanks

I hate when people say they "created" something...with magic being around sooooooooo long, it's damn near impossible to come up with something 100% new and original. And that goes for both the plot and the method.

There are things to change and improve on, no doubt. But very hard to come up with something new. That's why I've stopped with the "created" stuff....I have a few routines that I've adapted from other routines, and have changed to make something pretty different. I'm going to start using Devo's suggestion. "Personal Discoveries"

You didn't create an original piece, but discovered it by yourself. Thus it's your "personal discovery."

Then again...just my thoughts. :)
Steve

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Daniel Madison has a similar effect where he uses your pulse to locate the card. Here's a basic rundown:

• The deck is shuffled by a spec
  • The spec spreads the cards face down on the table
  • The spec then slides a card out
  • The performer turns his back or covers his eyes while the spec looks at his card
  • The card is returned to the deck by the spec and shuffled
  • The cards are spread face up and the performer takes the spec by the wrist and takes his pulse
  • The specs hand is hovered along the cards and the selection is revealed

Oct 6, 2007
THANK YOU!

Finally, someone tells me a similar effect. COuld someone tell meany more similar effects? I find it really hrd to research if an effect like this is out there, so just some info from more experienced guys would be great!

P.S., the cards in my trick are face down, so I guess that is different to Daniel Madisons. Thanks!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results