Hecklers

Aug 31, 2007
California
I wrote this awhile back.. Thought you guys would like to read it.

Hecklers. The most troublesome of spectators. But I don't think that most people really think about what the "heckler" is. Let me try to explain a little about Hecklers.

A definition of a Heckler is, a Spectator that their main goal is to try to wreck your performance. Not by accident, but on purpose. Usually the Heckler is trying to do this because they either are jealous of the attention you are getting or they are just jerks that want to just ruin your performance for fun.

Usually what the magician either does or wants to do is tell the spectator off. But you know you shouldn't/can't. Why? Not only would this make you look bad because you are doing what he is doing, but it is also what the heckler wants. This is driving him to keep going. Not only that, but by taking your attention of the spectator, you are not doing your job, which is to perform magic to the audience.

I think that the best way to handle a spectator is to just ignore him. Don't even look at him, literally act as if he does not exist. The heckler should realize that they are not wanted there and will either leave or stop talking. If they keep going, the audience will most likely tell him to shut up or realize what he is doing is wrong and ignore him also.

If ignoring the heckler doesn't work, you can always pack up and leave. You can apologize to the rest of the audience and move on to the next table, spectators, etc. Even if it is a paid job, pack up and leave. It isn't worth the trouble to have the heckler keep saying things about your performance.

Now, lets go over the type of spectators that there are because I think that most people don’t realize what hecklers are and what they aren’t.

First off---

The Theorizing Heckler

The "theorizing" Heckler is the type of Heckler that wants to explain to the audience how your effects work. Basically, explaining/exposing how your effects work to the audience. This heckler usually does this because he/she wants to prove they are smarted than the rest of the spectators watching. It makes them feel "clever."

I've actually found that if you keep going on with the effect that you are doing, the effect usually disclaims the hecklers theory, even if he/she was right about how it was done. (Hopefully that makes sense?) Basically, you are letting the effect do the talking instead of you trying to disprove his handling that he explained.

I've realized that the "Theorizer" usually explains the effect after the effect is done to the audience. Here's an example,

I was doing I think was an ACR, and the closing of it was the card jumped to my wallet in my back pocket. After all that was done, this heckler was explaining how there was a duplicate of the card in my pocket and he made us choose that card. I didn't have to say a thing until someone else watching stated that the card was signed so there couldn't possibly be a duplicate of a signed card. The heckler immediately shut up.

Sometimes you don't have to say a thing for their theory to be disproved. Sometimes you can say that the card was signed so there couldn't be a duplicate. Usually when the heckler tries to explain it to the audience I ignore it and let the spectators handle it. I let them think what they want. If I try to explain that it was wrong, usually it would lead into an audience.

If it isn't directly obvious to the audience that the hecklers theory is wrong, than that shows something is wrong in your performance. Your job in a effect is to disprove/cover all logic possibilities of ways that something could be done.

If they address it to me. Say the Heckler said that the deck was stacked in some way. I would say that it was shuffled by a spectator (Only if it was) Say they said that I palmed a card off; I would say that I showed my hands to be empty, etc.

Second off---

The Challenging Heckler

The challenging Heckler is the heckler that says that "you are holding two cards", "Show us the top card", Or "The card you put into the middle of the deck wasn't really our card" When in reality, you really were holding one card or the top card was normal and the card you put into the middle really was their card.

Usually when this happens, the magician turns over the top card to show that it really is their card or show that the deck really is shuffled and is not in a stack, etc. When you do this, you have to stop your performance, disprove their challenge, and than go on. This is what the Heckler wants. This is why they challenged you. It chops up your performance and stops how smooth it was going. When you do what he/she wants, he/she will keep challenging you. He/She is controlling you when you do what he/she wants. (A lot of he/she’s huh?)

You think that showing the top card is their card/doing what they want should stop them? No, this encourages them to keep challenging you. Why? Because you have to stop to show them that their challenge is wrong.

What do you do than? Ignore their "challenge." Once again, act as if what they said was never really said. Act like they can't speak. If they keep going, than turn away from him/her. Give them the "Cold Shoulder" Type of thing... (Sounds kind of odd but you know what I mean.)

If you keep trying to disprove his challenge, stop in the middle of your performance, and show the top card, show your hands empty, they will most likely and sooner or later, there challenge will hit just right, and you won't be able to disprove their challenge because the top card really isn't their card, you really are palming a card. You are now stuck. And since you were disproving all of his other challenges, the whole audience will realize what is happening and know how the effect is done.

Third off---

The "Grabbing" Heckler

Man... Doesn't everyone hate these types of Hecklers? The ones that grab your props in the middle of the effect, the ones that lift up the card that you don't want lifted up for the closing of the effect. The one that fully ruins and stops the effect.

Usually, they do this because you put a prop down in their "area". You have your area they have theirs. If you place a prop in your area, they will most likely leave it alone. If you place it in their area, they will most likely pick it up, turn it over, play with it, etc.

The way I have found to keep from the "Grabbers" Is to put a prop down close to you. If they have to reach far to get it, or if it close to you, they know it is yours and not meant to touch.

If a Heckler is a "Grabber" And they grab one of your props, I immediately, grab the prop back politely (but firmly) and ask them to not touch your props. (Politely remember) You have to show that you are in control. Audience control. You have to realize what this is and keep it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, Now, there are some magicians that they think spectators are hecklers, when they really aren’t. This is either realized that your performance was poor and the spectator wants to point out to you what they saw that they shouldn't or the spectator is just normally loud or just talks a lot.

Fourth off---

The Interrupting Spectator

This is the spectator that keeps talking when you are, keeps asking questions, and makes jokes in the middle of the performance. This is either cause because they are rude, drunk, or just very talkative/excited. These spectators’ aren’t hecklers. They don't mean to cause interruption.

I think that it is not good to ignore these type of spectators, because they aren’t meaning to cause trouble. Be polite to them. Answer their questions, answer their jokes in a funny way, and laugh with them.

But, you cannot just keep pausing your performance to answer their questions and jokes. That will cause trouble to the performance and once again, you wouldn't be doing your job as a magician to perform magic. Limit or ignore them from talking.

Fifth off---

The "Nailing" Spectators

Sounds a little bit odd huh? This type of spectator is the one that points out that you have flashed a bit; the one that points out that you accidentally spread your double lift. They aren’t hecklers. They are pointing out ways that you can help and change your routine and pointing out things you need to work on. They aren’t trying to figure out how it was done, they just saw how because you need to work on it a little bit more. Take use of that.

I think that covers about it... I've been researching on Hecklers a bit and a section from Strong Magic and a few other books made me want to point out all of this. So, if there is anything that sounds familiar, I'm sorry. I was fresh from reading the Strong Magic section on Hecklers and a few other books/articles on Hecklers before writing this.

I'd love to hear your guyses thoughts on this,

Thanks for reading,

Keenan

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Wow.

That was a really really great topic. And a fantastic read!

I have just come to ignore hecklers or throw out some comebacks.

this needs to be read by everyone.

~Jordan

Sep 2, 2007
this is great! One thing that I might add, and frequentatally use, is a nice litte "effect" for a difficult spectator. I find that during shows where I am friends with some of the people, that I get a lot more "hecklers". By hecklers I mean types one, two and three. They can get verry annoying saying that I am getting signals from my friends. Thus I have started to use a nice little effect. I have them pick a card, any card. And make sure they know what it is, and that no one else does. They can even sign it if they so choose. I then tell them that I will reveal it a bit later in teh show, right now I need you to go back down and sit on it. This, will generally keep them occupied for a good bit of time, and in the case that they ask, I would say "in a while, don't worry". Just a nice little idea that I heard about on another forum. Use it as you will!

cheers!

Peace, love &&huggs- Cody

Aug 31, 2007
UK
I don't think hecklers can be "defeated" with a predetermined strategy I think each one is different (as all spectators are) and should be dealt with as you encounter them , this shows your skill as a performer , aside from your magic skills you also have performance skill , which only grow through performing and by overcoming obstacles such as hecklers.

Aug 31, 2007
California
I don't think hecklers can be "defeated" with a predetermined strategy I think each one is different (as all spectators are) and should be dealt with as you encounter them , this shows your skill as a performer , aside from your magic skills you also have performance skill , which only grow through performing and by overcoming obstacles such as hecklers.

Thanks all, glad to see this is being read.

Farrel, I agree. The best way to ready for a "heckler" is to go out, perform, and get "attacked" by one. Experience is the key word.

Thanks again for the thoughts!

Keenan

Great thread Keenan!

I was actually being heckled today by some chick when I was doing some walk around in the mall. I was doing an ACR and she kept saying that the card I was putting in the middle wasn't really their card. What I did was not acknoledge her but did a pass where they can see me put the card in the middle face up so they see it go in and then I made it come back to the top and she had the awstuck look in her face. Then I just smiled and continued on with the routine and she was quiet the rest of the performance.

If you want to take out a heckler, the only good way to do it is to do it subtlely. Like a ninja. You gotta ninja your heckler. If you do it quickly and quietly, then you'll take out your heckler in a quick and polite manner.

Again, great post bro.

Sep 1, 2007
very useful thread..i noticed i have a lot of friends around me who are hecklers after reading that

anyone have similar experience of having problems performing with close friends? sometimes they're the 1 who you really wanna perform to but you know they're close to you and stuff so they wont hestitate to say things like

"can i shuffle the cards instead?"

"i know how you did this *goes on to explain the method*"

me handing him over his card faced down saying hold the card for me, without asking he turned his card over (i dont wanna say hold it in that position as it kinda gives out that there's something fishy going on)

thats some of the problems i faced when performing for good friends, i realise when you perform to people who you're not close to they tend to be better audience :D

Great post Keens, but I would like to point out, that with experience, hecklers tend to diminish. You will notice that the grabbing, yelling, and attacking spectators will slowly start to fade. Your performance and presentation will naturally be able to control your spectators and crowd. That's one of the wonders and amazing things about experience, the bad things just seem to completely disappear like a magic trick.

Performance after performance, you will notice a huge change in your reactions and audiences, the will me more subdued and more likely to watch your effect with joy and wonder.

Experience fixes so much.

Mitchell

You can always deal with them in a professional manner but make them look stupid to others at the same time.

How?

Simply give them the deck of cards and say. "It seems you are a magician yourself, so would you please show us some of your magic"

They will look at you very dumb founded.

Sep 1, 2007
Beirut Lebanon
me handing him over his card faced down saying hold the card for me, without asking he turned his card over (i dont wanna say hold it in that position as it kinda gives out that there's something fishy going on)

Try some of that mentalism stuff. I tell them to hold it face down (or do as i do), and feel the back of the card. Does anything look fishy? No or yes, the answer may be, but in that time just ignore and continue with the routine. And if you want them to hold a card face down, try getting someone near you to hold the other end; then it will decrease the probability of some one trying to flip the card over becausethe other is holding the other end.

Also, if you have a heckler, and there is another magician/ or good friend near you, just ask him to occupy the heckler. Usually works for me. He starts telling him past tricks (usually fake, like me levitating 50 ft into the air), and the guy forgets the trick im doing. Exactly what you want a heckler to do in case your performing to 5+ people.

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
when i have a heckler, since i perform busking trickle shows, if i get a heckler bothering me...

i stop mid trick, put the cards away, look at him and say
"thanks sir for ruining our fun, you know you odnt have to be here at watch me perform, so either shut up and watch the show, or leave. you choose.

then i wait for his answer

if he doesnt say anything and expect to wait, i pick up my table, and stand, go into the magic shop, and tell everyone, "for those who want to see magic, come inside!!!!

gets the shop buseness, and if he walks in, the owner can deal with him if he says anything

has worked perfectly for me

I really don't like hecklers and that was a great read just made my dislike for them even more. But in magic case I tend to call them magic busters. My sister is one of them, I've shown her so much stuff now that she waits until Im near the bottom 3 cards before saying *stop* when I do a riffle force. So I have to change it up and stuff but, that's not that bad. The people who openly judge you on everything when they aren't close to the skill of you are the ones who I literally want to punch in the face. The worst trick for hecklers is the 2 card monte. Good advice by everyone though on how to avoid them. great read.

-RA69

Aug 31, 2007
California
Thanks for all of the input guys,

very useful thread..i noticed i have a lot of friends around me who are hecklers after reading that

anyone have similar experience of having problems performing with close friends? sometimes they're the 1 who you really wanna perform to but you know they're close to you and stuff so they wont hestitate to say things like

"can i shuffle the cards instead?"

"i know how you did this *goes on to explain the method*"

thats some of the problems i faced when performing for good friends, i realise when you perform to people who you're not close to they tend to be better audience

It does seem that friends are the ones that usually heckle, huh? I think the reason for this is, they are just trying to give you a hard time about your magic, because they do know you. Just ignore them. If it is the whole group, put the props away and stop. Ask them if they would like to keep going on with this or if they would like to see your magic.

Great post Keens, but I would like to point out, that with experience, hecklers tend to diminish. You will notice that the grabbing, yelling, and attacking spectators will slowly start to fade. Your performance and presentation will naturally be able to control your spectators and crowd. That's one of the wonders and amazing things about experience, the bad things just seem to completely disappear like a magic trick.

Performance after performance, you will notice a huge change in your reactions and audiences, the will me more subdued and more likely to watch your effect with joy and wonder.

Experience fixes so much.

Mitchell

Very true. Experience is one of those things... That takes YEARS... and YEARS.... and some more YEARS to get. I have been performing for, about 5-7 years now... and I am not close to having the tinniest amount of experience that I need.

When you first start to perform, you will be nervous. You will screw up many effects. This is when people will heckle you about it. Ignore it. Move on. Keep on performing.

Thanks everybody for their input and advice. I am sure it will come in handy to many!

Keenan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results