Help Please!

FelixBodden

Elite Member
Aug 3, 2010
Dominican Republic
Well yesterday I was in a magic show and I went backstage to meet the magician, and his wife just love the way I perform with cards so I got a chance to perform in his show the problem is that I am a close-up magician I have a couple of tricks to perform on stage but not enough to stay for about 15 minutes if you guys can help me would be great, thanks!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You haven't given us much to work with here. What size theater, what size crowd, how far from the crowd is the stage, what do you already know, what do you own, etc etc?

Honestly, with the information you've provided, I'd say don't do it. You're not prepared.

towtox

Banned
Sep 4, 2010
Calgary Ab
ya dont do it if ur not prepaired maby a card behind the back or even a straight jaket escape or go to a magic shop and get an escape trick that requires minal practice wat age how big plz tell or a livestock trick

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I second Christopher T.

It just doesn't sound like you're ready.

First, I'd like to ask perhaps the most important question: how much time do you have???

From the sound of it, you don't have much, and the following post goes on that assumption. I apologise if it's incorrect, and will change my advice if that is the case.

You should not be looking to learn new tricks at this stage. By "should not" I actually mean I think it would be appalling if you tried. You need to perform what you know - not what you can cobble together over the internet in a short amount of time. If you can't put together 15 minutes from the material you have (adapting it to the stage if necessary), cutting and pasting suggestions from other people about how you perform is no better than failing miserably in the spotlight.

And the biggest problem I'm worried about is this. This isn't your show to mess up. This is someone else's show, who has to follow you no matter what you do - and who has given you an opportunity. If you can do it, by all means take it, but if you can't, then it's his show you're performing at. If he's kind enough to offer you a slot at his show, chances are, he will be kind enough to do so later in time, as well, if you're not ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 20, 2009
near paris
Well yesterday I was in a magic show and I went backstage to meet the magician, and his wife just love the way I perform with cards so I got a chance to perform in his show the problem is that I am a close-up magician I have a couple of tricks to perform on stage but not enough to stay for about 15 minutes if you guys can help me would be great, thanks!
richard osterlling has a great stage effect with a deck of card , it's a blindfold act, 20 spectators choose one card each and remember a number associate with, then the pack is in your jacquet pocket and blindfolded you say :
card 10,then 12 , 7 etc
and you reveal each card in different order while you're blinfolded and the deck in your pocket
great mentalism effect
easy to do, no gimmick , just memory and presentation, it's involved 20 persons
you can find it on is "no camera tricks dvd"

Sep 12, 2007
Normandy, FRANCE
The big question is : what do you have in your repertoire ? Because as it has been said, you shouldn't have to learn new things for the show. Are you rather into funny magic, mentalism, cardsharp kind of things ?

FelixBodden

Elite Member
Aug 3, 2010
Dominican Republic
I know a lot of tricks that's the problem I can't remember all of them that's why I ask for some tricks here you see danielmontagne mention the trick of richard osterling I know how is done but I couldn't remember so thanks! sorry if I didn't give so much info and yeah I'm prepared that's why they give me the chance I'm into comedy, card magic and mentalism, I have like a week to practice my routine that's enough time for me 'cause I'm not going to perform new tricks just the old ones that I can remember. I'm going to start doing standing ovation with the invisible deck, the stage is very close to the audience you can see a picture here:
http://www.analizzarte.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/DSC02620.JPG I think he have a projector so I can do some card tricks...(sorry about my english and thanks for the help guys)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I know a lot of tricks that's the problem I can't remember all of them that's why I ask for some tricks here you see danielmontagne mention the trick of richard osterling I know how is done but I couldn't remember so thanks!

That's because you don't practice enough and try to learn too much without practicing the old.

sorry if I didn't give so much info and yeah I'm prepared that's why they give me the chance I'm into comedy, card magic and mentalism, I have like a week to practice my routine that's enough time for me 'cause I'm not going to perform new tricks just the old ones that I can remember.

Then what do you want us to do? Help you remember? As I mentioned, the reason you forget tricks is because you stop practicing them and stop performing them. If you performed a trick everyday and practiced it once every three days I guarantee you wouldn't forget them. Ditto for not trying to learn new stuff.

I'm going to start doing standing ovation with the invisible deck, the stage is very close to the audience you can see a picture here:
http://www.analizzarte.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/DSC02620.JPG I think he have a projector so I can do some card tricks...(sorry about my english and thanks for the help guys)

There you go. You have everything you need.

FelixBodden

Elite Member
Aug 3, 2010
Dominican Republic
Yeah your right that's the reason why I forgot some tricks I spent more time practicing close-up magic but if you or someone else can help me remember at least 2 tricks that I can do in this show or can give me some ideas I would thank you forever it means a lot to me, this opportunity is what I was looking for and I don't want to screw this.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hrm. What have you read recently? Maybe something you've bought? Look through all your products that you own, all of your books, and so forth. List your favourite magicians, and stuff like that. On that note, invest in a notepad! Not only do I have a magic notepad, but I have updated lists on my phone about my current working repertoire. But a notepad comes in handy. That's all I can think of to suggest for now - there's not really that much to work with, sorry! Hope the show goes well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results