Help trying to find a 3 card monte routine.

dcsscd

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Hi! I would appreciate if you could help me find the name and/or author of this 3 card monte routine. I saw it for first time almost 8-10 years ago. I remember the commercial video was done in a parking lot and the trick performed to a woman. The trick used no gimmicks or duplicates, only 3 different cards. The instructor, if I'm not mistaken, looked like Jeff Wessmiller, at least (again if not mistaken) was a blonde tall skinny guy. The story in the routine was he explaning how he went to a fair and how he lost to this con man doing this 3CM routine. You do all the routine in your hands, no table needed, and cards are not bend. When the spectator guess the money card, obviously they are wrong, but they only see one of the cards. For example if you have a Queen an Ace and a Joker, the Queen being the money card, when you show they are wrong you only show the Ace, or the Queen in another position. In one phase of the routine you have to show, or make the spectator belive it saw, the Ace as 2 Ace cards, while arranging the 3 cards in a vertical column. In another phase, the money card is face up, sandwiched between 2 face down cards, the spectator now bets where the money card is, because its being shown, but with a flick the money card changes to an Ace. The instructor explains who/when he learned this move from, and the move has a weird name, maybe something like macarena, or mumbo jumbo and its done only with 1 hand. I could explain the move a little bit more, but not sure if that would be something against the rules. This is the signature move of the routine.

To end the trick, you do a false count, and show the spectator that all the routine was done not with a Queen or an Ace, but with all 3 cards being a joker.

It probably didn't involved "3 card monte" term on the name, I have been searching at stores and videos with this term, and no luck so far.

Hope I can find an answer here, and thanks!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I love 3 Card Monte and am developing my own routine at the moment. This sounds like a great routine and I'd want to know the name if you find it. Pop Haydn has a great set of notes on the subject and covers a bunch of approaches. It's his School for Scoundrels notes. I don't think it covers that routine specifically.

One of my favorite references is a playlist I created on You Tube that shows real street hustlers performing the three card monte. I'm putting the link below, it does have R rated language.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw26DZKqWbzFbNo12gcMMwLQbhS8REdWz

dcsscd

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I still don't find the name, but i will let you know if i find it.
So far the closest i got, is the This N' That trick or this youtube video:

But the moves are different and it lacks the color change.

Reactions: Josh Burch
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results