Help With Getting Started

Aug 31, 2007
Sorry...but magic with bills isn't coin magic. It's magic with bills. Two entirely different things. ;)

I suggest taking your time looking through Modern Coin Magic. It's widely considered to be the coin magic "bible", so it can't be half bad, right? Just read through it, there's REALLY valuable stuff in there. :)

Oct 24, 2007
Ahhhh...

Ahhhh...Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, the Bible of coin magic.

It's what I started out in, I highly suggest you read through the whole thing and practice the moves. Then read through it again! Once you have the moves down, try to put together some routines and tricks using the moves.

Then move on, once you've squeezed out all the information (which you usually never do), get another book or buy a DVD. I also highly suggest "Digital Dissolve", the trick that is taught on the DVD is awesome and the gimmick can be used for many other things! I actually created a whole "Coin Change" routine using it!

Anyway, those are just my suggestions. ;)

Tyler

Sep 1, 2007
Savannah, GA
The David Roth DVD series Coin Magic Made Easy is invaluable. I know everyone loves Bobos, and I realize I'm setting myself up to get slammed by saying this, but some don't like or learn well from books. Bobo's book is an AMAZING resource and should be part of every magician's library....but at the same time, I understand some don't care for book-format.

I'm not going to debate whether it's a good thing or not.

BUT, David's DVDs are wonderful...and they also recently put Bobo's book on DVD (Modern Coin Magic DVD set) that's reasonably priced. You're not going to get a very "fun" DVD set, but the DVDs go over the moves sufficiently.

Dec 2, 2007
There is nothing wrong with learning from Bobo's book, however if you haven't already, I would recommend upgrading that old VCR to a DVD player (welcome to the 90's) and picking up the "Big 3" when it comes to coin magic DVDs for beginners:

1. David Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made Easy, Volumes 1,2, & 3
2. Michael Ammar's Complete Introduction to Coin Magic DVD
3. David Stone's Coin Magic Videos, Volumes 1 & 2.

There is a fair amount of overlap of material presented, so if you are operating within a budget, you may want to check out Dan Watkin's comparisons here to determine what to pickup first:

http://www.coinvanish.com/compare.html

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 4, 2007
I would totally recommend In The Beginning There Were Coins. It's very basic and just for beginners in Slight of Hand. Watch that 1 or 2 times and with a little practice, you'll be on your way!:D

Sep 24, 2007
In the beggining is not such a good video compared to "the big 3" (i like that term)

It is true that the classic palm picture in Bobo's is misleading, and that Mr. Bobo does not go into as much detail as Roth does. Also, Bobo pretty much expects you to have a basic knowledge, as he doesn't go into much detail about anything

David Stone's DVD's look fantastic... I've been doing coin work for a while but have never picked up modern coin magic (I know, shame on me) and will be quite soon. After that I am certianly looking into David's dvds... the info he covers on there is... wow.

Dec 2, 2007
David Stone's coin DVDs are wonderful!

I would also highly recommend his two "Secrets of Magic" DVDs. Not only do they contain some fun visual tricks, but David also gives SOLID advise about performing. Between the tricks and advise there are some very funny scenes that will make you smile. :D

Here is a teaser for Volume 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8C2bp1TuM0

...and one for Volume 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijZBH-nRzc&feature=related

David is a French magician with a bit of an accent; however the material is well presented in both volumes and I did not find his accent a problem at all.

...other trailers can be found on David's web site:

http://www.ihatedavidstone.com

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results