• Random kids on the street

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Friends that semi care

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Only on parties where ppl are drunk

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 19, 2010
Hey I´m kinda new to magic, trying to learn mostly cardtricks. I havnt gotten out and done any tricks to random ppl yet. I feel like some of the slights are way to easy to detect or is that only in my brain? any tips on how to practice your tricks. I dont know if my slights are bad or not since i dont dare to do it to anyone incase they can see how its done. what i know is like the basic slights and some shuffles. i know my slights are good enough to fool my Cousins family, mostly the kids the grown up doesnt look to Close :D

So my question is where to practice on who? so i dont reveal stuff that shouldnt be revealed :D

Mar 15, 2017
Hey I´m kinda new to magic, trying to learn mostly cardtricks. I havnt gotten out and done any tricks to random ppl yet. I feel like some of the slights are way to easy to detect or is that only in my brain? any tips on how to practice your tricks. I dont know if my slights are bad or not since i dont dare to do it to anyone incase they can see how its done. what i know is like the basic slights and some shuffles. i know my slights are good enough to fool my Cousins family, mostly the kids the grown up doesnt look to Close :D

So my question is where to practice on who? so i dont reveal stuff that shouldnt be revealed :D
Hey, i started to take up magic last year. Yes, you may think that your sleights might be obvious but try to put yourself in the laymen view or as if you hadn't even took interest on magic. People won't see or expect anything unless you state it. Take for example,if you're a card to watch or card to mouth, never say "as you can see, there is nothing in my mouth/on your watch" because if you do, they'll expect whats coming and oversee whats going to happen. Even if you think you did something sloppy or you flashed a card, don't put eye contact with the spectator and just act as if everything is going as planned.

This is all coming from experience and i hope this helps :^)

Jul 19, 2010
Hey, i started to take up magic last year. Yes, you may think that your sleights might be obvious but try to put yourself in the laymen view or as if you hadn't even took interest on magic. People won't see or expect anything unless you state it. Take for example,if you're a card to watch or card to mouth, never say "as you can see, there is nothing in my mouth/on your watch" because if you do, they'll expect whats coming and oversee whats going to happen. Even if you think you did something sloppy or you flashed a card, don't put eye contact with the spectator and just act as if everything is going as planned.

This is all coming from experience and i hope this helps :^)
Thanks for taking time to answer me. do you have any performance videos?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You practice, and rehearse, at home away from anyone. That's how you maintain the secret. You do not practice in front of anyway, because if you do, you will give away the secret and thus, probably spoil the show.

Never rush to perform a new routine. Only ever perform it once you have practiced, and rehearsed, enough that it's harder for you to mess up than to do it right.

At that point, that's when you try it out on a test audience. When you're first starting out that will probably be your friends and family, and maybe parties. Other options are open mic nights, David Blaine styled street magic, or anywhere else where you'll get fresh audiences regularly.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
The way I practice is in 3 steps:

1. Technique: Start off by learning, practicing, and perfecting individual moves or sleights. I suggest practicing in front of a mirror to understand angles and make sure that the moves look right. Once you can perform the individual sleight well enough that it can be done correctly and consistently, then you move on to step 2.

2. Routining: Take all of the individual moves and sleights that you perfected and put them together in the order that your full routine requires. Perform through the effect from start to finish, including your patter. I'd suggest recording yourself if possible so you can watch the full run through over again and catch any mistakes in technique, timing, or performance. Once you can comfortably run through the effect from start to finish constantly without muting up the patter or messing up technique, move on to step 3.

3. Public practice: Now that you are comfortable enough performing the effect for yourself, start performing it for others. (Please make sure you are ready before doing this.) Performing for others will help you naturally fix any sort of patter inconsistencies and any technical mistakes (i.e. you are flashing a move from an angle you didn't anticipate before.) The more you perform for others, the more solid your routine will become! You will notice that you will begin making minor changes to your routine. I have pieces that i began performing 10 years ago that I still perform today. You would not even believe they are the same effect since over time they have evolved and changed so much!

You will be surprised how much your performance will improve over time! It all just takes patience and practice!

Things I would suggest avoiding:

-Rushing out an effect you have not rehearsed or practiced properly
-Difficult to perform moves or sleights
-Effects with a high miss or fail rate (i.e. effects that don't alway work.)

Hope this helps!

Reactions: ChrisJGJ and CWhite
Jan 19, 2017
Just a tip before performing a trick. Always say to your yourslef that the layman don't know what will happen and doesn't know what you're doing (as long as your sleights are well practiced :) )

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah

Evn very difficult magic has a time and place that it should be performed. Often times we get caught because we are doing a move at the wrong moment, not because we are doing the move wrong. Erdnase says that when a move cannot be improved then change the moment, when you find the sweet spot you'll be surprised with what you can pull off.

Calen Morelli has said that he is ready to perform a trick for other people when it consistently fools himself. I agree. When you do a piece of magic in the mirror or on camera and it looks like real magic than you are ready. If it's not there yet work to get there, then go out and perform.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Always practice sleights in front of a mirror before showing them to anyone. I'd also recommend picking up some cheap mirrors and duct taping them together like I did to make your own practice mirror so you can check angles. It's very useful. If you absolutely have to practice on someone, I'd say start with family but only once you feel that you've sufficiently practiced. From there, move to friends, then acquaintances, and then strangers. At least that's what I do because I'm very shy lol.

The only sleight I can think of at the moment that absolutely has to be practiced on a real person is the Classic Force. But to practice this one, don't do a trick that relies on the force. Try forcing them a card even when it isn't necessary for the trick.

Even once you master it, always have a backup trick ready just in case they don't pick the card you wanted.

But yeah. That's my two cents. Don't know if that helped at all but I hope it did!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results