Homemade Impression Pad...?!

May 26, 2009
So is there anyway where i can learn how to fabricate my own impression pad, where i ask the spec to write something down in a notepad, have them tear the paper out and know what their word is ... I initially thought of using carbon paper but for some reason, i cannot find it anywhere where i live, so i was looking if there is an alternative method to build one ... and please don't give me links to buy a pre-made gimmick one that cost a fortune ...

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I HIGHLY recommend checking out, 'UNIVERSAL IMPRESSION' by b.Smith, from www.papercranemagic.com

I know you said not to supply you any links, but believe me when I say this will be the best $50 you'll ever spend.

Small reset, no refills, no smears, no carbon paper, ect, ect...

I've also heard many praise for another, 'STEAM' by (his name escapes me at the moment).

Alternatively (sp), you can just order some 'carbon paper' via the internet.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I use the Butterfly Pad personally.

However if I left it at home and get asked to perform something with only a little notice I will always make up a thommy pad you can get the pdf download at Alakazam. It costs (in Australia) about $7 - $8 to make about ten pads.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
However if I left it at home and get asked to perform something with only a little notice I will always make up a thommy pad you can get the pdf download at Alakazam. It costs (in Australia) about $7 - $8 to make about ten pads.

Seeing how you're looking for a 'homemade impression pad' I'd say look into D ICE R's recommendation of the 'THOMMY PAD', as seeing how it would cost him around $7-$8 (in Australia costs) I'd say this is your best bet... although personally I don't own it, but seeing how D ICE R is recommending it, I'd say go for it.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
If I don't have my butterfly I use the Thommy pad.

Is that enough of a review.

I will add a funny performance story aswell.

On Wednesday I was performing at a mates 21st (I was not drinking one month sober today.) Anyway towards the end people were coming in from the street I did a name reveal on the Thommy Pad (I decided to leave the Butterfly at home as it only had 10 pages left and I could not be bothered to move the gimmick over.) I threw the pad on the table after getting my peek and reseting it and left it there to perform something on someone else at the group. Anyway halfway through the next effect the girl picked up the pad and looked at it. She looked at the gimmick for about 8 seconds and then flipped through the pages. Those 8 seconds seemed to last for ever. Anyway afterward she told me that her boyfriend was an amature magician and he had shown her an impression pad. Anyway she admited that she thought that was what I was using however she decided it was not as there was nothing 'special' in or on the pad.

A price break up for the Thommy Pad.

Pads 2*5pk (2.49) = $4.98
Special something = $2.69
Total = $7.65 (rounding benifit.)

Other things needed scisorss, glue stick, ruler, pen and about 15 minutes to make 10 pads.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Thanks for the review, and performance story, D ICE R! Link please! :)

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Sounds like the 'TOMMY PAD' is a winner.

And seeing how you do a lot more mentalism them me, I know this is worth checking out.

Also, how is the reset for the 'TOMMY PAD'? and can you do it in front of the audience? Because the reset for 'UNIVERSAL IMPRESSION'-which is best done, IMHO, is when you have a few seconds to yourself, but I've done it in front of my spectators without being caught, many times.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The reset for the Tommy Pad is similar in duration and method to the UI one. However it can be done infront of spectators but just not between them. Also you do not need a transparent cover it just helps add to the deceptiveness I personally dont use it.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Thanks for the help, D ICE R. I've also read that the impression from using the 'TOMMY PAD' comes out as a mirrored image, couldn't that be a problem if someone who sloppy and choppy writing?

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Ok, thanks. Sorry for the abundment amount of questions, D ICE R; haha.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results