Honest Opinions?

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
I've been thinking about making a cardistry project for a while now. It's always been a sort of personal goal to make a complete set of tutorials on my favorite moves. However, I just can't seem to produce anything that I'm proud of. I'm confident in my moves but I'm not confident in my ability to independently produce something worthy of mass-producing. Here is an unlisted video of the moves I intend on publishing at this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k937VTfcYnk

My question to you guys is, do you believe that these have a decent chance of being produced by a company? I want you guys to be honest with me, if anything in this set of moves sucks, PLEASE tell me. This really means a lot to me, and the reason why I'm going to this forum for help is because I really want to see this project done right. I don't want my project to just fly over everyone's heads.

Thank you in advance
- Patrick V.

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
Hey Patrick,

I really liked all of these flourishes!
I think it would be a great idea to release this as a cardistry project on the Wire, so that you have one big download, featuring all the moves you have shown in this video...

Good Luck!

- Konrad

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks man, I appreciate the support. The main issue is that I don't really want to put them on the Wire. I'm not confident enough in my production quality and I'm worried that it'l just fly by everybody. My question to you, is that do you think these moves would be suitable for a serious cardistry project? Like a DVD.

Bryson G.

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
I really like Splash, it looks pretty original, not like other flourishes. I'm not a huge fan of Grenade though, it doesn't look clean or visually stunning to me, but that's just my opinion. All the other flourishes look REALLY cool, and personally, I would buy a DVD that taught them all. However, it really depends on production quality, teaching, and all of those factors. You did some really good editing, and caught good angles on the flourishes, which is great. Again, it all depends on how hard you work on teaching, polishing, etc.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Thank you so much, I wasn't feeling Grenade either actually. But yeah, like you said, the production quality is the deciding factor. And I'm just not confident in my own production quality. I sent the video to the official submissions page, I really hope they take a look at it. I'd love to see this made into a reality.

D@n

Oct 11, 2011
I think those flourishes are definitely good enough to be produced, awesome work man.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Splash, Swing, and Terraform are easily my favorites. I wouldn't worry about your production quality–-if memory serves, you have a flourish already out on the Wire, so that's not an issue for you. T11 or the Bucks would be the best route in going with a DVD, though, and I certainly think there's potential. Is this meant to be an advanced only cardistry project?

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Is this meant to be an advanced only cardistry project?
Nope, I'm deliberately including some easy material so I don't drive away the majority of the cardistry community. I feel like that was a mistake with Aviv's project, the material just wasn't commercial enough for most people. So this project should have something for everyone. I tried to model my selections after the DVD Solo which I thought a very balanced project.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Thanks man, I appreciate the support. The main issue is that I don't really want to put them on the Wire. I'm not confident enough in my production quality and I'm worried that it'l just fly by everybody. My question to you, is that do you think these moves would be suitable for a serious cardistry project? Like a DVD.

First off, I'd like to say that I like a lot of the flourishes a lot!

However, I'm not sure your real concern is production quality. I'm not trying to be an ass and make assumptions here, but I think you're going for a wider audience. From what we can all see, your production quality as is seems to be just fine and it would only take a bit of effort to do these same flourishes in a didactic style.

I'm not trying to take a poopoo on your parade, but maybe you could try releasing a few of these on the Wire and see what kind of responses you get on your teaching style? Although it might seem more convenient and "cool" to be produced by T11 or DnD, I think the experience would be far more rewarding if you tried doing it by yourself first.

Hey, if all else fails, you can go Michael Herp's route, release a few moves that are produced by yourself, and if you don't get the reaction you want, then contact the big companies.

Just my thoughts though.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Well yes, that is the goal. A bigger audience is generally what most people want. In terms of my production quality, I'm content with the way things are when it comes to my YouTube videos. But qualitatively, a DVD project and individual videos are very different. I still haven't quite figured out how to effectively make tutorials, and I've tried to make them for most of the moves in this set.

Unfortunately, all of these attempts have never resulted in a final product that I was proud of. So looking for a DVD project is more or less a way to delegate the production issues to someone that knows what they are doing. Being independent is always nice, but I have no issue with working with a team. So my solution to these problems was to consider making a project with one of the companies we're all familiar with. I have released something on the Wire and I was less than satisfied with how it performed. Same goes for the tutorials on my YouTube page; I feel like they could all have done better than they did.

I do understand what you're saying though; you aren't raining on my parade in any way. I asked for feedback, and you gave just that. Thank you for your points, I really do appreciate it.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Well yes, that is the goal. A bigger audience is generally what most people want. In terms of my production quality, I'm content with the way things are when it comes to my YouTube videos. But qualitatively, a DVD project and individual videos are very different. I still haven't quite figured out how to effectively make tutorials, and I've tried to make them for most of the moves in this set.

Unfortunately, all of these attempts have never resulted in a final product that I was proud of. So looking for a DVD project is more or less a way to delegate the production issues to someone that knows what they are doing. Being independent is always nice, but I have no issue with working with a team. So my solution to these problems was to consider making a project with one of the companies we're all familiar with. I have released something on the Wire and I was less than satisfied with how it performed. Same goes for the tutorials on my YouTube page; I feel like they could all have done better than they did.

I do understand what you're saying though; you aren't raining on my parade in any way. I asked for feedback, and you gave just that. Thank you for your points, I really do appreciate it.

I understand what you're saying. If I may make a suggestion though, release one more flourish on the Wire. The one that you released previously, Orbit, just didn't catch my attention like these. One thing that might make your flourishes more appealing is a brighter background. If you look at many of these DVDs that are being sold today, they are always filmed with very clean backgrounds that have either bright or just striking colors. I think these small details go a long way towards advertising to the general public haha.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your project!

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
I think I will release another move on the Wire, it couldn't hurt to try. Thanks for your advice, I got a lot out of it.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Nope, I'm deliberately including some easy material so I don't drive away the majority of the cardistry community. I feel like that was a mistake with Aviv's project, the material just wasn't commercial enough for most people. So this project should have something for everyone. I tried to model my selections after the DVD Solo which I thought a very balanced project.

Which flourishes are deemed "easy"? I'm new to cardistry--and I mean new--and I don't think that, at my current skill level, I could master any of those flourishes without months of practice. I don't think you should include an easy move for the sake of including one, but I feel like they give a little confidence boost to the learner. The difficult moves look sweet, but they can also be knacky and advanced.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
I'd say the easy moves are Splash, Missile and Windup-Toy. And I disagree, I think intentionally including some easy material is a smart move. "Commercial" moves have to look awesome but they still have to look do-able.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I didn't say including easy material was bad. In fact, I explicitly stated the opposite - sorry for the confusion. I still didn't see any moves I could easily master. Perhaps cardistry isn't for everyone? I'd still support the project though.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Missile is actually quite easy, it just looks difficult. Splash is a basic combo, and WindUp-Toy is probably the hardest of those three. But believe me, they aren't too bad. Thanks for the support!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results