How Did You Get Started?

Nov 10, 2014
I saw Andrei Jihk guest star on Brain Games, saw him do a card spring, and then spent the next 2 weeks learning it, not the best way to start....

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
I began learning magic years ago, as a hobby and to entertain the kids. I started with RRTCM, then I got into more advanced stuff with ECT. Then I got The Trilogy last christmas, and their flourishes got me into cardistry ( I had to start with flourishes 101 though...I am now midway through disk 2 but all still require a lot of work). I recently got the Virts tutorials (2014+2015) and have NB3 and cylinder on the radar...

I always liked cards ( I am an long-time bridge player), but magic and cardistry is a kind of a therapy for me... It prevents me from eating my fingers! However, I gets annoyong for my relatives as I always need to have a deck in my hands.

May 24, 2015
Couple months ago I went to play poker at a friends house for his birthday. I had not touched a deck of cards in years and was embarrassed that I couldn't even do a simple riffle shuffle.

After that night I went on YouTube to search for tutorials on how to do a Riffle Shuffle and discovered the School of Cardistry. That one YouTube channel changed my life! Now I can't put a deck of cards down.

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
The long story to how I got into cardistry started with a crappy deck of cards. These cards were smaller than standard cards but larger than bridge cards. The cheap cardstock was horrible and the printing was off center (made in China!). From there I got into magic and bought myself a red Bicycle deck. The first two flourishes I attempted were the card spring and the Sybil cut. I ended up wrecking my first deck from card springing and stuck to magic for a little while. I officially jumped into cardistry after watching theory11's old videos (Andrei's uncut cardistry video among others). I started out with Genesis and kinda branched off slowly from there.

Reactions: ChristopherR2
I was twelve and a bit of a novice who had a magic kit from when I was about 10. It had a svengali deck and I learned how how to double lift using that. Eventually I learned how to use a regular deck of cards and of course i found my self on ellusionist. I had learned how to spring from my sisters ex boyfriend but when I saw the xtreme begginerz dvd I was sold. Eventually I found dananddave.com and got the system and the rest is history.

May 5, 2015
Magic. 'Nuff said. I think it's cool to see some of these other stories that led someone straight into cardistry, though; this still seems rare to me, and it will probably become less and less rare as time goes on!

Dec 31, 2014
I found a bridge size deck and practiced the ribbon spread forever. At the time, I thought poker sized cards were too wide and weird to hold, and now it's the opposite. After that, BRAIN GAMES and Andrei Jikh.

Reactions: mclintock
May 31, 2015
Did magic for a couple years, then started to get into cardistry when I learned the spring and Sybil. I now keep a steady balance between both.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results