How do people create their own flourishes?

Dec 23, 2010
I don't really flourish but it's something I would definitely try one day. So I was wondering how do people come up with their own moves, it's hard to explain in words, but what i am simply trying to say is how do they know that if they make a certain gesture or move the cards will do(whatever).

They start off by learning the moves published by others who are working in the art. Then through constant practice and repetition they begin to master the mechanics behind WHY the moves work, and through that unconscious competency they are comfortable enough to branch out and try different things they think may work. Or they update/upgrade the execution of an existing effect by creating a way to make it work better/ differently for them.

Jul 25, 2012
Detroit, MI
I don't want to be mean or anything but recently i have noticed people can't post thing's in the right forum, this should be in "Cardistry/Flourishing" section.

Apr 29, 2012
To create flourish, you need to find your style, if you can't do that, it will be very difficult to create. Once you find your style, most people just play around with cards, the stars align and boom you have a new flourish. Most of the time they won't be anything special, but when you find that one, or more, flourish, it's almost as good of a feeling as when you perform magic for spectators that actually like what your doing. So before I get off track, finding your style is probably the most important part of creating.

When the "CardistMag" was still running I did this interview with the "DYNAMITE" guys. I extracted for you just the part where they answered my question regarding how they create their flourishes. Hope this helps :)

Oliver: "I come up with new flourishes when I'm in my little cave hehe.If you just practice a lot you will come up with cool moves accidently.Of course you can also sit down and say "I want to create a cool new flourish", but I find that kinda hard."

Nikolaj: "What I usually do when I’m creating new stuff, is to find fun little original weird moves, and connect them. Try to sit down with a deck of card, and fiddle with weird grips, and consider “ What can i do from this position” that’s how I came up with a lot of my stuff. "

Dennis: "Sometimes I sit down and try to create a flourish,but most of the times it happens by random while I play around with the cards.It's hard sitting down and trying to create a cool move.Chill.Just do it and see what happens.That's my advice.

Tobias: It does happen by accident most of the time.If you want to create your own flourishes take the moves that you can do and combine them.Do a move to a point and then instead of doing "this" with a specific packet do something else.For example,if you usually go right with it,go left this time.Also,listen to some good music meanwhile.Don't think about it,just do it.

Nov 18, 2012
I think the best way to explain creating flourishes is to compare it to creating music.
Someone who has no idea what he is doing may attempt something simple, but it won't be any good most of the time, choppy and lacking any elegance.
Someone who is only learning will be able to replicate what he sees and add some of his own flavor and variations.
And a true master will be able to instinctively tell what would sound/look good, and do it right away (or, you know, practice first).

Reactions: Biz
Feb 4, 2008
Learn somebody else's move incorrectly, drop metric tone of cards on the floor until you figure out how not to, tweak it to your liking, practice another month or two, and when you come out the other end you have something new!

Dec 23, 2010
I attempted to but for some reason I would be sent to an error page. I know it's not my Mac, I got it less than a month ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 14, 2012
We all have mental health in the same way that we all have physical health. Our state of mental health affects everything we do, every day. Our mental health is about the way we think and feel about ourselves and our world. It’s about how we handle our everyday lives, like making and keeping friends, getting along with our family, coping with problems, and getting involved with our work, study or community activities.

So, to flourish is to be able to enjoy life, to cope with life’s difficulties, to believe in others, to feel you have a place in the world and to believe that you have something you can give to others.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results