How do you answer the question "Do it agian" ?

FelixBodden

Elite Member
Aug 3, 2010
Dominican Republic
That's quite a good question, it depends of the trick/routine you're performing for instance if you are doing an ambitious card you won't have any trouble at all but if that's not the case and you just can't repeat the trick for any reason, you can say something like this: "I'll show you a better one" "If that's the case, I'll wait for your call -hands business card-." If you want to joke around a little "Exactly what do you want to see again? *they describe the effect* But that's impossible, I wish I could do that." or simply say "No" you have the right to.

Cheers!

Feb 26, 2014
Haha this is a hard one for me too!! It always seems like the one that is impromptu nobody ever says "do it again" and all the setup tricks everybody tells me to do it again!!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It depends on why they are asking.

One major reason people say this is because they have been challenged to solve a puzzle. They know that the first time they were fooled because they didn't know what to expect or look for and seeing it again will probably let them "win" by figuring it out. In other words - the performer is failing to engage the spectator on any significant level and it is more satisfying to them to solve the puzzle than to enjoy the performance. To fix this issue you have to look at your performance and see why they are feeling challenged and figure out how to engage them more.

Another reason is because they genuinely enjoyed the performance and they want to experience it again. They don't realize that seeing it again won't give them that feeling. The easy to way to "fix" this is simply say, "Ok" and do a completely different trick. They just want to see more magic.

So - The answer is really simple. Engage your audience so they are more caught up in feeling the wonder and the magic than in figuring out "the trick".

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Though it's been years since I've done close-up on any regular basis I did have a rule of thumb that was very simple; always have at least two ways of performing the same effect and with very few exceptions I always had two or more alternatives; even today with Mentalism, I always have a means by which to repeat a given effects but which always employs an alternative method. Creating these alternative approaches should be part of our weekly challenge to self on the creative front; we shouldn't be looking for the next commercial sensation or name maker but ways to improve upon an older concept that we already employ. I've watched a young man in So. Cal named Eric Stevens do exactly this; he creates variants to yesteryear classics based on some very logical questions he asks himself when it comes to each effect or routine. Slowly he changes the handling and creates brand new approaches that are superior to the original idea.

I've shared here a number of times about how I changed up on the old Cigarette thru Quarter because of exposure around the classic Johnson gimmick; the result of that exposure gave me an extended routine that totally destroys the known explanation of the trick even though I incorporate it and two other gaffs when doing the bit. In other words, I circumvent this question by overwhelming folks with several variant approaches up front that have been sewn together into a growing series of impossibilities, each apparently more impossible than the previous example. This is how Ricky Jay stole the night away from Doug Henning many years ago, by delivering an Assembling Ace Routine that went well beyond the basics.

Aug 7, 2014
Hi, I've written Derren Brown's book lately: "Confesions of a conjurer", and for me there is great answear to this question in this book. Derren writes that there are 3 parts of most of his tricks and this is: 1. Introduction when you take spectators attention by doing something seemingly imposible, but then.. exactly they want to see it again because they didn't give too much attention to that, so they know they had to miss something.. so there comes 2nd part: Repetition: when you do the same thing so spectator can give as many attention as he wants to but he'll miss it anyway (because you do it differently that the first time) but two times is still too less so there have to be third time - Grande Finale when you do the same thing but something goes wrong or doesn't work.. and then you do something what is not the trick you did two previous times but something much more amazing. I think this is great thing to do when making routine, but you have to work with that. Maybe it's not exactly what you asked about, but I hope this will help you making magic better and better :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results