How many people would buy this effect?

Aug 1, 2008
So today my friend and I were walk to the car.
I told him we should invent a magic trick.
So we were naming off stuff we would want to do.
So we finally thought of one we both agreed on and we found a way to do it!

-----Effect----
A spectator chooses a card from the deck!
The deck is then fanned or spread to show every card is different.
The Spectator puts the card back in the deck where ever he wants!
With just a snap and another fan all the cards turn into the Ace of Spades!
Except their chosen card!

We found a way to do now we just need someone to produce it Dx
What are your thoughts?

Sep 1, 2007
UK
I would not buy this, and here's why:

Firstly, you say you came up with this today, and already you are thinking of selling it? There's no way it is tried and tested or developed far beyond mere ideas.

Secondly, it doesn't sound very powerful. What is the point in all the cards becoming the ace of spades? Assuming your method is convincing, it will surely get some reaction, but with the confusion that comes with the meaningless change hindering the effect, it will not nearly touch on what can be achieved with other effects.

Finally, this already exists. The hummer deck is basically the same thing but turns all cards blank, which is a little more meaningful than turning all the cards into some indifferent card. Other special decks can also be used to achieve the same effect.

If you did end up marketing it, I'm sure you'd manage to sell a few and make a quick buck, and if that's what you set out to do, then go for it, but if you want a genuinely great piece of magic, it's going to take a little longer and require a little more effort than that.

Joe

Aug 1, 2008

Firstly, you say you came up with this today, and already you are thinking of selling it? There's no way it is tried and tested or developed far beyond mere ideas.

Secondly, it doesn't sound very powerful. What is the point in all the cards becoming the ace of spades? Assuming your method is convincing, it will surely get some reaction, but with the confusion that comes with the meaningless change hindering the effect, it will not nearly touch on what can be achieved with other effects.

Finally, this already exists. The hummer deck is basically the same thing but turns all cards blank, which is a little more meaningful than turning all the cards into some indifferent card. Other special decks can also be used to achieve the same effect.

If you did end up marketing it, I'm sure you'd manage to sell a few and make a quick buck, and if that's what you set out to do, then go for it, but if you want a genuinely great piece of magic, it's going to take a little longer and require a little more effort than that.

Joe
Yah I see what your saying.
Only reason why I used the ace of spades is because everyone at my school wants to see a trick with that card. Idk why lol

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Sounds like an interesting effect and congratulations on coming up with a workable method. However, this sounds similar to effects that are out there using blank cards instead of the Ace of Spades (whole deck turns blank except selected card). The value of the effect is really the method and how convincing it is and whether it has been done before. Develop some patter for the effect, perform it and refine it. If the method is unique, develop other uses for it. Good luck with it.

Aug 1, 2008
Sounds like an interesting effect and congratulations on coming up with a workable method. However, this sounds similar to effects that are out there using blank cards instead of the Ace of Spades (whole deck turns blank except selected card). The value of the effect is really the method and how convincing it is and whether it has been done before. Develop some patter for the effect, perform it and refine it. If the method is unique, develop other uses for it. Good luck with it.

Yah its Unique for sure. @Joe The only reason I put would buy this illusion was to see if you would think it would be worth buying just from the effect alone. I have no plans of selling it right now :p

Sep 1, 2007
One possible solution to make the ace make sense: Have two cards chosen by one spectator (the ace and an indifferent card), or two spectators, one choose the indifferent card while the other chooses the ace.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I believe there is a deck out there that does this or something very similar to your mentioned effect. I think it is called the "knock out deck".

Aug 1, 2008
I believe there is a deck out there that does this or something very similar to your mentioned effect. I think it is called the "knock out deck".
Hrm really. Ill go look it up and watch it.
edit
all the cards in that trick turn to that card that was selected.
In mine all the cards turn into the Ace of spades except their card.

Oct 11, 2007

Joe

You stole the words out of my mouth, it takes a lot more than that to create a great effect and years to test it. I was able to instantly conceive the method for this in my head while I read it.

So, for future reference, study it, practice it, perform/test it, get others to perform/ test it, collaborate with them to make it as good as it can possibly get, then create and marketing scheme, and finally sell it.

Keep creating though, you'll find how much better you become at magic by doing so. Keep at it, maybe you could find an even better use for that concept, the sky's the limit.

-emagician

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I don't know about unique.... Doc Eason had a similar opener... Granted he doesn't show the cards being different in the beginning, but I can think of many different ways to modify that trick to accomplish the same effect. I don't want to be a downer, but I don't think it's all that marketable, at least as a single effect deal. I guess you can try to sell it as download at places...?

Sep 20, 2009
i still don't get the point in the whole deck turning into the Ace of Spade... besides your friends at school who want to see a trick with that card

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Svengali deck all the cards turn into their card.
Not like Svengali at all

It's the same effect in a spectator's mind. The fact that the other cards change instead of all the cards changing is a very minor detail.

Example. Dunbery's Delusions vs. Michael Ammar's That's It. Two different tricks. But when my buddy performs Ammar's at one table, and I perform Delusions at another table, I'll put $100 on both of those tables thinking we did the same thing.

Oct 3, 2007
germany
Alright, I'ma step in here and try to get the imagination flowing a little. This could work out great. Remember patter, you can justify just about anything with a good story.

A simple way one could get this flowing would be to explain that the ace of spades is usually the most desired card in the deck. Yet, if a card is selected (and signed would come in handy here) it becomes unique and even more special than the ace of spades. Meaning that even if you were to change every card into the most valuable card possible, theirs would still be instantly recognisable. *Reveal selection, whoop whoop* :p

To address those saying "what's the reason for the ace of spades, why not something else?" Well... Why NOT the ace of spades? ;)

It's pretty much the same as complaining about the blank cards in Blizzard, for example, as (thinking logically, in hind-sight) it screams force.

*end hastily written argument*

I just felt I'd play the devil's advocate here and actually support the idea. I dunno.. maybe I'm strange.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Alright, I'ma step in here and try to get the imagination flowing a little. This could work out great. Remember patter, you can justify just about anything with a good story.

A simple way one could get this flowing would be to explain that the ace of spades is usually the most desired card in the deck. Yet, if a card is selected (and signed would come in handy here) it becomes unique and even more special than the ace of spades. Meaning that even if you were to change every card into the most valuable card possible, theirs would still be instantly recognisable. *Reveal selection, whoop whoop* :p

To address those saying "what's the reason for the ace of spades, why not something else?" Well... Why NOT the ace of spades? ;)

It's pretty much the same as complaining about the blank cards in Blizzard, for example, as (thinking logically, in hind-sight) it screams force.

*end hastily written argument*

I just felt I'd play the devil's advocate here and actually support the idea. I dunno.. maybe I'm strange.

Sure, you can justify almost anything with patter, but why bother when more intuitive effects can be used to demonstrate effectively the same power? When the patter is more about justifying what is happening and less about creating the right moments and emotions, then you will end up with weaker magic than an equivalent effect with a more intuitive meaning, where the focus of the patter could be put on more important things.

If it's a trick with the ace of spades they want to see, is this really the most powerful effect you could do? Wouldn't it be more powerful to force the ace of spades, and to later have every card change into the ace of spades? Some good routines including these phases exist using a svengali deck.

Joe

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results