How much practice does it take?

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Remember the meaning of the word "Master". When you master a move, it means (in this case) that you not only can do it as good or better than the creator, but it also means that you can bring something new to the move. Some original style-like touch.

-Vince

Sep 22, 2007
Quoted from Huron:
In my opinion 'mastering' a move is when you reach your 'peak' at the move. Something that requires minimal warmup and is able to impress at the same time. Something that you have overlearnt.

What does the word 'overlearnt' mean?

Imagine when you first start driving a car, you have to concentrate on every single aspect of driving, there's never a moment when your mid is at rest.
This is underlearning.

Then you progress to the point where you are comfortable with the car, but you cannot carry out a conversation with thh people in the car with you.
That is learning.

Overlearning is when you can drive the car and joke with your friend simultaneously, at the same time bobbing to the beat of the music on the radio.

In other words, the day you 'master' a cut, is moreso the day you 'overlearn' it. Where you do not have to concentrate on doing the move, and your hands naturally carry it out smoothly and beautifully. That implies at the same time that there is consistency.

Regarding how to master a move, just dedicate time to a specific move. Try not to work on too many things at the same time. It doesn't matter if you can just 'do' a multitude of moves without beauty or style, or consistency. Spend a generous amount of time on whatever you are working on, and concentrate on it. Don't be a jack of all trades and master of none. Better be good at something, than nothing.

That should help :)

Sep 2, 2007
I don't really think it matters that much how you practice, really. As long as you're doing more than just a cut at random once a day, but less than like 8 hours a day (there is a such thing as overpractice) then it should be fine.

Some people set aside practice time, but personally I have never done that, I just play with cards when I do stuff, and I don't think I'm too bad for not having an hour set aside each day for cards.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results