How to deal with irritating spectators?

Aug 11, 2017
Hello fellow magicians..I'd like to ask you, how do you personally deal with spectators who want to check you all the time and interrupt you if they notice something (do they?). I've got some friends that no matter how good the effect is, they will disrespect magic and say it is only tricks and illusions. This really hits my nerves. Not to mention the guy to whom you will perform a magic trick and then persist that he can do it aswell failing in the process and revealing the 'beauty'. I'd like to read your thoughts on the topic since I'm a beginner who obviously lacks experience.

Jul 28, 2015
Hello fellow magicians..I'd like to ask you, how do you personally deal with spectators who want to check you all the time and interrupt you if they notice something (do they?). I've got some friends that no matter how good the effect is, they will disrespect magic and say it is only tricks and illusions. This really hits my nerves. Not to mention the guy to whom you will perform a magic trick and then persist that he can do it aswell failing in the process and revealing the 'beauty'. I'd like to read your thoughts on the topic since I'm a beginner who obviously lacks experience.
Short to the point answer, just don't perform for them sorry to say but they sound like a bunch of a holes that disrespect and don't appreciate what you do also don't perform to any and every body that asks you to do something for them just for their amusement... know when and who to perform for it's kind of a way of you giving yourself the respect you deserve...

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
So first off, there is a huge difference between performing for friends and for spectators. Spectators (on the most part) actually will enjoy the magic, and will have some courtesy. Your friends on the other hand, they don't really give a crap (on the most part). I mean don't get me wrong, a lot of your friends and family will actually enjoy your magic. However, not all of them will.

So the first thing to do is slow it down. 1 thing magicians overlook is that NO ONE wants to really watch your magic daily. I would say take some time to just practice on your own. Don't annoy them with magic. They will eventually go long enough that A) They will be asking you for magic, or B) They will want to see it if you ask. It becomes a quality over quantity cliche, but it works. Another thing you can do is actually go ahead and teach them a simple trick every once in a while. Something that requires no sleights, but works good. The earlier stuff in the Royal Road is good for this. Let them perform it to someone after you perform to the spectator! Just be like "Ok for this trick, I am going to have this guy perform it. He has no experience, so go easy on him :)" (Obviously not exactly that. That is super weird). People love to be in on the secret. Plus, they will probably forget in a couple of days.

Furthermore separate these 2 things: Is your friend actually being an a hole, or did he actually sit through your presentation, enjoy it and is just giving you honest feed back?

Now, if an audience member is just being annoying (friend or not), and actively trying to mess you up, this is what we call a heckler. I am going to redirect you to this thread for advice on hecklers. Go ahead and read through it.
https://www.theory11.com/forums/thr...ators-insist-on-messing-with-you.46845/page-3

If the feed back is negative, and he wasn't heckling you, you should try and work on your presentation. Here is another thread about negative feed back. Warning: Posts #14 through #34 become a full on off topic debate, feel free to skip through it.
https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/negative-feedback-from-people.48552/page-3

If you need more direct help, feel free to let me know. A few of us are in a similar position to you - teenagers, or younger people who perform a lot at schools.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Be more interesting and/or get better friends.

Joking aside - How do I deal with irritating audiences? A few things.

First - I avoid the situation entirely. This is a two step process, the first being that I choose when and where I perform. I've turned down paying gigs that were not right for my style of performance. If I can't guarantee the audience will enjoy the performance, I don't want the gig. The second part is that I write my scripts so that the audience and I are cooperating in the venture of experiencing the show. I make it clear to them that I'm not there to show off, or to prove I'm better than them, or to change their minds about anything, but instead I am there to provide a unique experience and some interesting stories to tell others afterward.

Also, side note on scripting, there's a phrase a friend told me that I always keep in mind, "Never punch down." When you have jokes and gags in the script, don't make fun of the audience. Never make anyone in the audience seem foolish. This only creates a challenge situation where they feel like they need to one up you.

Second - I don't do what other magicians do. I purposely perform in such a way that doesn't trigger the concepts of "magician" that people might have in mind. Because, in my experience, most people have a pretty negative opinion of magicians. So I'm not a magician. I'm a witch doctor. Not only that, I'm -the- Witch Doctor. I'm the only one doing what I do, so if they want what I do, they have to hire me.

That's how I do it. How you do it will be different, because you're a different kind of performer and different person. But the key points are creating presentations that engage the audience and offer a unique experience that they will enjoy more than spoiling it for you. And be discriminating about when you perform as well.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results