Jun 3, 2008
Look After Your Cards

I wrote up a guide on how you can look after your cards

Opening the deck
There are many ways of opening the deck, you could:
-Melt the box off
-Rip the box off

Or open it professionally . . .

When your pack of cards arrives it will often come in a plastic wrapped tightly around the cards, this is too keep the air concealed around the box and to protect the box during shipping/handling. If you would like to keep the shiny plastic, carefully undo the 2 tabs at the top then open up the sides, then slide the pack out. If you don’t want the plastic, just rip it off like a man, then if the plastic is smelly an d annoys you, you can do a Chuck Norris style, Round House Kick.

Opening the deck, people find it really frustrating trying to get past the seal of the deck, it is not right to take it off because it will leave a sticky residue and dirt can get attached to it very easily and before you know it, it is black. The right way of opening it is getting a sharp blade and sliding it down in between the gap and sliding it across to the other side so the seal is cut in half, but you are not finished. You will want to open up the big tab and remove the deck. Then if you look there is still a bit of the seal over the box, so what you want to do is fold the extra pieces in toward the box so it looks like a collar. So now you have successfully opened the deck!!!!

Breaking The Deck
You don’t literally break the deck but it is making the deck more flexible so it is much easier to handle and better for presentation. When you first take the deck out of the pack it will feel beautiful but it is awfully stiff, To make the deck more flexible try the following:

-Riffle The deck a couple of times (front and Back)
-Riffle Shuffle the deck (front and back)
-Over Hand Shuffle
-Cut the cards

Keep repeating them and soon your deck will be as flexible as you want it.

Caring For Your Cards -Wash your hands regularly before and after holding/playing with your cards, sweaty hands mixed with a deck of cards is no good, make sure your cards is far away from moisture.
-Do not always keep your cards in your pocket when you are walking around and even sitting down, your pants/shorts will heat up and get sweaty inside your pocket (trust me the inside of your pocket does get sweaty), which is no good for the deck.
-Keep your cards in a porper clip if possible so it can straighten itself ready for your next performance.
-If your cards seem to strat when they fan, put them in the fridge on a paper towel for 5 minutes and it should work fine, the reason it is put on a paper towel is because some fridges have dirt in them and you don’t want it to h=get on your cards.
Regularly shuffle the cards so you are not always handling the same cards over and over again.

Dirty Cards
To get rid of dirt flick each card so dirt can get out of those tiny holes in the cards. riffle your cards often to get dirt out and free

When to divorce/let go of your cards
When your cards are all dirty and cant fan, use them for gaffs/gimmicks or to force on people and sign, or simply chuck them away.

Well I hoped you like it!

Nick

Thanks very much, that was terrific, except that's exactly what I do with my cards anyway. I also don't see why anyone would want to keep the cellophane. But apart from that keep it up and welcome to the forums!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 3, 2008
Glad to help guys, and to Jake H, Carrying cards on a plane can be pretty rough, since some of the luggage shuffle around a bit. Well I suggest you only bring one deck of cards in a porper clip unless you want to buy 6 porper clips for your helf brick of cards. Or you could get a couple of rubber bands and wrap it around them, I suggest the maximum pack of cards in a rubber band is two, so if you have 6 packs of cards you get 3 rubber bands for each pair,

Nick

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Glad to help guys, and to Jake H, Carrying cards on a plane can be pretty rough, since some of the luggage shuffle around a bit. Well I suggest you only bring one deck of cards in a porper clip unless you want to buy 6 porper clips for your helf brick of cards. Or you could get a couple of rubber bands and wrap it around them, I suggest the maximum pack of cards in a rubber band is two, so if you have 6 packs of cards you get 3 rubber bands for each pair,

Nick

Would it be better to take them with the carry on luggage, then?

Oct 6, 2007
Look After Your Cards

Opening the deck, people find it really frustrating trying to get past the seal of the deck, it is not right to take it off because it will leave a sticky residue and dirt can get attached to it very easily and before you know it, it is black. The right way of opening it is getting a sharp blade and sliding it down in between the gap and sliding it across to the other side so the seal is cut in half, but you are not finished. You will want to open up the big tab and remove the deck. Then if you look there is still a bit of the seal over the box, so what you want to do is fold the extra pieces in toward the box so it looks like a collar. So now you have successfully opened the deck!!!!

I use a way that I think is quite rare? I'm not sure.

It's VERY Simple. Instead of using a knife, use your fingers. Lets say you've taken the plastic off the deck and the seal is the only obstacle between you and your precious...

Stick a finger in the top, not too far in, maybe 1/3 inch. Then, move sideways toward the seal while at the same time pulling outwards. This will cause the seal to slowly rip. When you've ripped about half way through the seal, do the same on the other side of the seal. Pull outward on the flap.

This may make the flap slightly bent, but if you do it carefully, it'll minimize the damage.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia

It's VERY Simple. Instead of using a knife, use your fingers. Lets say you've taken the plastic off the deck and the seal is the only obstacle between you and your precious...

Stick a finger in the top, not too far in, maybe 1/3 inch. Then, move sideways toward the seal while at the same time pulling outwards. This will cause the seal to slowly rip. When you've ripped about half way through the seal, do the same on the other side of the seal. Pull outward on the flap.

This may make the flap slightly bent, but if you do it carefully, it'll minimize the damage.

That's how I do it.

Sep 8, 2007
I have an advice for one of the things up there.
You CAN take off the seal. I'll explain how.
Take it of, as much as you can.
After this, Take the seal you tore and stick it to the residue.
Then, pick it up again.
To sum it up, ask your girfriend how she wax and you'll get it fine.
I use this method a lot, particulary when the seal is old.
Very good post, I think there are great things up there.
Keep it up.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
^^You can also use tape to achieve the same thing. I've done it a few times, but I prefer to just leave the seal on.

Nope thats how i do it too

Nov 23, 2007
NC
You forgot that once opened you have to smell the cards. :) This lets you in on their character, traits, behavior, and qualities.

O.K. So maybe just me and a few others do that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results