How to Work with Volunteers

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So in another thread, dealing with volunteers came up. I think this is an important enough concept that it should have its own thread.

I did not take the amount of time for a 'volunteer change'. That's a good point.

Are there any other deterrents? Or is the time spent changing volunteers that damning to the shows flow?

The flow issue can be addressed by having an strong introduction. As the last set of volunteers sits down, you begin your presentation for the next performance piece. When an effect is done, a good line is something like "please give my assistants a round of applause." Then turn to your assistants, make eye contact, shake their hand and say "thank you." They will take that as their cue to sit down. Then begin your next presentation. That serves to focus attention back on you. When you call people up, have something to say while they are approaching the stage. "Can you help me out by coming up here? Yes, wonderful. I need someone who is trustworthy and you look very trustworthy. I'm sure your husband would agree, especially in front of all these nice people."

It can also be very repetitive, always asking for a volunteer. There's always going to be a big part of the audience that doesn't want to volunteer, and if you're always asking for another person (or people!) then it can make those members think they will end up having to volunteer, just because there's no one left.

The fear of volunteering can be addressed by your character. MOST MAGICIANS MAKE THEIR VOLUNTEERS FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE. I had a magician do it to my wife who couldn't read a phone number in a phone book because the gimmick was faded... he called her "Grandma" despite being 45 and having our 12 year old kid with us. She knew how the gimmick worked and seriously thought about screwing him up... but she was nice. Don't get a laugh at the expense of a volunteer. Avoid cliches (no... the clean hand).

Think Tamariz. It is about LOVE. LOVE your volunteers. Smile at them. Shake their hands. Ask their name. Compliment them. Thank them before you even begin the routine. Don't have the audience give them applause for volunteering. It actually makes most volunteers feel more self conscious and more worried about what is going to happen. If they look nervous, tell them "don't worry, you will be fine."

Vary how you refer to the people you call up. They can be assistants, observers, someone who can make some choices, someone of uncompromising character, someone who has always felt that they were magical, someone who has a sense of wonder, etc. Don't ask for a volunteer. You say volunteer and they hear victim.

Also, think about having someone volunteer for several effects if the effects are short.

There also should be texture with the use volunteers. Vary how the volunteers are used and your interaction with them. For some of my routines, the volunteers come to me. For others, I go to them. Some routines are done without volunteers. Each volunteer becomes part of the presentation, not just someone who picks a card. They become a character in the story.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
David offers some solid advice here. Also don't discount the fact of doing some pre-show work. Most of us arrive 30 minutes to an hour before show time any way. That is a great time to meet early arrivers and get a feel for who might be outgoing enough to come up on stage and help put on a good performance. Heck, I have even point blank ask kids or adults prior to my show after talking to them for a minute or two if they would like to be part of the show. After doing this a few times at different venues you'll get a feel for who the "good ones" are.

Reactions: Justin.Morris

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Great stuff here David. I am still learning how to manage my volunteers - how to thank them well, how to move around them, etc. For my current show, its a value that the audience be highly engaged (lots of audience participation). So in order to facilitate new volunteers for nearly every effect, I ask people before the show to help out. I reinforce that it's nothing embarrassing, and that they will make a series of choices based on some questions I will ask. Then the show is structured that I start off with large group participation, then I let the audience know that I have asked people ahead of time to help to keep the show moving, and that they have not been prepared in any way.
Then for the first effect that needs specific volunteers (a stage version of twisted sisters) I have the three volunteers stay seated and just answer from their seats (this hopefully lets people see that I am not embarrassing people, and hopefully eliminates some anxiety).
I know that pre-selecting helpers can look like I have set some things up with them, but at the same time, I am balancing that against the flow of the show and the value to have lots of audience involvement.

I love what you said about loving the people that help you. That's a really good way to articulate that. I watched a show recording from 2014 and I hate the way I let my volunteers go. I basically said "give it up for these three" and point them to the stairs. Ugh. I have so much to learn.

JPS

Dec 21, 2016
I have a question:

Regarding volunteers, is there anything different that one should/shouldn't do with kid volunteers? Anything to watch out for?

I suggest just not having them doing anything too complex. Depending on the age they aren't really great thinkers, counting, thinking of numbers, taking specific instructions of where to deal ect. You'd probably be okay but you're better off letting the adults do more of the in depth effects

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
One thing I ALWAYS try to be mindful of when working with children is making sure I do not put them in a scenario where there could be tears or frustration which then makes your show take a turn for the worse and you look like a real moron picking on a kid. Even if a child does something wrong with the effect or doesn't quite do what you intended for them to do...do not make it their fault.

Young children can get nervous up on a stage in front of their peers. Keep that in mind when it comes to giving them multi-step directions which could confuse them.

Steven Bargatze is one of the rare magician/comedians who gets away with ripping on children and turning it into a hilarious routine, but his character allows for this byplay to occur.

When working with younger children, it seems best to have them "wave" the wand or hold the fun prop and say the silly words, etc. The more children you get up on stage, the more parents will actually pay attention and stop talking in the back of the room/venue.

One example I can remember is when I used to perform Hobson's Balloon Dog in a Bag routine where you step on the balloon dog and pop it. If you do not "know" how your young spectator is going to react up there, you could look real bad if said child starts to cry. (This is why I do my pre-show walking around meeting some of the kids getting a feel for who is going to be okay up there.)

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
I watched Penguin live lecture with Dan Sperry...he had some pretty funny stories about child volunteers. Also a few tips hidden in there. Great lecture.

Oct 19, 2015
Good comments on kids....but also recognize that kids can greatly enhance the act, as they are very spontaneous and frequently can 'steal the show', which in most cases is a good thing....you never know what they might say or do...

Reactions: RickEverhart

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Good comments on kids....but also recognize that kids can greatly enhance the act, as they are very spontaneous and frequently can 'steal the show', which in most cases is a good thing....you never know what they might say or do...
Absolutely. My last show I did two weekends ago was for 25 (5-6) year olds and I've never laughed so hard in all of the shows I've done over the past 17 years. They were a hoot!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca

To be honest, I think that's the goal. To create space for them to say or do something funny - but make it look like you didn't expect it. When you watch David Williamson perform it all looks so off the cuff - until you see him perform 3-4 times. Then you realize that he generates those opportunities for the kids to steal the show, but he's a genius at acting caught off guard.

As a parent, when your kid is on stage you LOVE it when they smile or do/say something silly. You want those photo opportunities and memories. If you can create those as a kids magician, that's amazing.

Oct 19, 2015
Absolutely. My last show I did two weekends ago was for 25 (5-6) year olds and I've never laughed so hard in all of the shows I've done over the past 17 years. They were a hoot!
I laughed at your comment....wish I was their....getting kids to laugh is one of the true joys in life...!

Reactions: RickEverhart

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I have a question:

Regarding volunteers, is there anything different that one should/shouldn't do with kid volunteers? Anything to watch out for?

You need to kid around a bit more... get it... kid around?

With kids, I tend to break from traditional logic. A lot of kids show performers will use being selected as a reward for kids behaving or ask for volunteers to raise their hands and sit still. My advice to those performers is that if your show was interesting, you would have no problems with (most) kids behaving.

David Kaye (Silly Billy) talks about interactions per minute which is counting how many times the audience is interacting with the performer. I like the metric, but don't like how most performers implement it (i.e. having kids yell "it's behind your back" five times in a routine). There is a great book on childhood learning by Howard Gardner that talks about multiple intelligences that affect how children learn. The series Dora the Explorer uses those theories to provide different interactions to appeal to different intelligences. So, the baseline for children's shows is that you need to provide multiple interactions playing toward a variety of intelligences. How you use volunteers needs to work with those interactions.

Let's start with picking a volunteer. Don't ask them to raise their hands. It results in chaos ("pick me, pick me") and results in a whole bunch of disappointed kids. Pick kids that are paying attention but are not jumping out of their skin with excitement. Also, pick kids that are smiling. A good way to do that is to walk around the audience, doing your script and talking to the kids and, at the appropriate point, stop in front of the kid you want and ask them to help you, "would you like to come up and help me out?" Wait for an answer and then react, "you will, awesome." Then smile. As they come up with you, give them stage instructions in the form of a question. "Can you stand on this side of the table for me?" Again, when they answer yes, react positively and smile. When they are in position, ask them their name. When they answer, say somthing like, "Hi Brian, I'm happy to meet you." When you are dealing with younger children, either lean over or take a knee when you are talking to them. It puts you at their level. Also, just like with adults, make eye contact. They should feel like it is just you and them talking. It lets them forget they are in front of a bigger group.

Next, you have to reconnect with the audience (remember the interactions per minute?). I like to use a sort of echo technique. I'll ask the volunteer a question and then ask the same question to the audience. "Brian, do you like ice cream?" "How about the rest of you, do you like ice cream?" "Brian, what is your favorite flavor?" (don't forget to react) "Chocolate, that is one of my favorite flavors along with Vanilla, Strawberry, Apple Pie, Rum Rasin, Mango Pecan and Pickled Pigs Feet." [turn to audience] What are your favorite flavors - shout them out." (don't forget to react). "Wow, a lot of different flavors, but nobody else likes Pickled Pigs Feet flavored ice cream." Then back to your volunteer... "Brian, do you like Pickled Pigs Feet flavored ice cream?"

Give clear instructions. At least twice. "When I tell you to, I would like you waive the wand over the bag. Can you waive the wand over the bag? Perfect. Are you ready? Waive the wand over the bag." Don't give multiple steps all at once. Break it down. "I want you to take any card. Got it? Good. Now show it to everyone in the audience but me. Perfect. Now I want you to stick it back somewhere in the middle of the deck..."

Don't embarrass or make fun of your volunteers. And yes, try not to make them cry (;)). That doesn't mean you can't have fun with them --- the key is to make sure THEY are having fun too. As I mentioned a couple of times above -- react to them, make them feel clever, funny, intelligent. And make sure you convey the LOVE that Tamariz talks about for your audience and spectators.

At the end of the routine, thank them, have the applause for them and shake their hand and lead them in the direction of their seat.

P.S. I really don't have a routine about ice cream, but was just using that as an example.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I love what you said about loving the people that help you.

Tamariz's discussion of the Seven Veils (on the DVD "Our Magic") talks about LOVE for the audience, so in my mind that includes the spectators.

A quick story. At one show, I was doing my closing egg bag routine. There was around 150 to 200 people (pretty much all adults) seated about 10 to a table. I was performing by walking around the room and stopping by tables to perform the various phases and using the people seated at the table to look into the egg bag and to reach in to confirm that the egg has disappeared. During the second phase, as I reached in the egg bag to find the egg, announcing that the girl in my story "reached in and realized that the egg disappeared." A young girl who I think had special needs was with her parents. She yelled out "the egg disappeared" right after I said it. I turned and saw a look of horror on the mother's face and smiled, saying "yes, it disappeared." For the next phase, I reached in and said, "Margurite reached in the bag and realized..." I then looked at the girl and smiled as she yelled out "the egg disappeared!" As I turned to the rest of the audience, I could see the smiles from both the girl and her mom.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Tamariz's discussion of the Seven Veils (on the DVD "Our Magic") talks about LOVE for the audience, so in my mind that includes the spectators.

A quick story. At one show, I was doing my closing egg bag routine. There was around 150 to 200 people (pretty much all adults) seated about 10 to a table. I was performing by walking around the room and stopping by tables to perform the various phases and using the people seated at the table to look into the egg bag and to reach in to confirm that the egg has disappeared. During the second phase, as I reached in the egg bag to find the egg, announcing that the girl in my story "reached in and realized that the egg disappeared." A young girl who I think had special needs was with her parents. She yelled out "the egg disappeared" right after I said it. I turned and saw a look of horror on the mother's face and smiled, saying "yes, it disappeared." For the next phase, I reached in and said, "Margurite reached in the bag and realized..." I then looked at the girl and smiled as she yelled out "the egg disappeared!" As I turned to the rest of the audience, I could see the smiles from both the girl and her mom.
Ha! Love it David. Hearing personal performing stories is the best!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results