How to Write a Response in a Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I have realized how many people don't really help out here. Most people here will get a question like "Is a Centurion Deck Worth it???" Many times the common answer is a simple one word answer like this. "Yah! (word count.)" How is the person who asked the question going to know if they really should buy it. That is your opinion. give him reasons...

Anyway, I am now going to write this thread and hopefully it will educate some of our newer members...

1: READ THE QUESTION A FEW TIMES...

By reading the thread-starters question a couple of times it helps you better understand what is being asked. Even, if their question is short, read it 3 times so you are sure to have a clear understanding of what the person is looking for.

2: ASSESS THE QUESTION..

Now that you have read this question and understand it, it is time to prep yourself for your answer. Decide on at least a basic outline on what you are going to write. MAKE YOUR ANSWER AS CLEAR AS POSSIBLE!!!! Use this scenario...

Thread Starter: "Hey I was wondering, are Centurions worth the money."

even though this was a short question that seems relatively basic there is a lot to be considered here. You don't just want to tell them that they should or shouldn't buy it. Give them reasons why the should or shouldn't. This will help them decide if they should really trust you. SUPPORT YOUR ANSWER!!!

WRONG ANSWER: " Yeah. Buy them now!!!!!!:)"

CORRECT ANSWER: "Yes you should by them. They honestly have a great feel and a thick stock. I usually use them as a flourishing deck but they will work for tricks too. I still have my first deck and they work great. I got them 4 months ago. They will hold up nicely and are totally worth the price."

WRITE YOUR ANSWER

After these steps you have a basic feel for what you are going to write. so write it down. Make sure that what you are writing is clear and the reader will understand it. Remember, some people don't understand internet slang. Always, sign your name at the end of your written peice. It can be your user-name or your real name.

REREAD THE WRITING...

Before you hit the finish button reread your answer a couple times. Fix any spelling or grammatical errors that you see. Make sure that you understand what you wrote. If you don't understand a sentence it is very unlikely that someone else will. Now, you may publish this to the thread...

EXTRA TIPS...

Give Reasons For Editing: Write down a reason if you edit the post. It will clarify some thing like if it was just a spelling mistake or if you had incorrect info on there.

Support Your Answer: Clarify what you are saying and make their decision easier by making your thoughts clear.

Sign Your Name: Identify yourself. You arn't a horse with no name.

Use Spell Check If Possible: This is easier, however, my computer won't download it.

Be Polite: Never go on a useless angry rant... All it does is get people mad.

well, I hope this helped some people out or has opened your eyes. I'll see you guys around.

Dylan P.

Last edited by a moderator:
2: ASSES THE QUESTION..
Fix any spelling or grammatical errors that you see. Make sure that you understand what you wrote. If you don't understand a sentence it is very unlikely that someone else will. Now, you may publish this to the thread...

I just laughed when you put a spelling error in here :D

Anyway, if someone has a question, a short answer is better than no answer.
But I see what you mean,

Good read,
Mike aka The dragon:D

Sep 1, 2007
Jeez, it sounds like flight attendant emergency training: assess the situation...

By the way, you wrote "asses" which is plural of the word "ass."

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
even though this was a short question that seems relatively basic there is a lot to be considered here. You don't just want to tell them that they should or shouldn't buy it. Give them reasons why the should or shouldn't. This will help them decide if they should really trust you. SUPPORT YOUR ANSWER!!!

That is a perfect statement. I agree with you that there are too many one word answers to dumb questions. Thus making the thread useless and it clutters the forum.

Good post Dylan

-Kevin

Is this thread really nessicary at all? At first these guides were semi-useful but i mean really a guide to responding, almost as useful in my opinion as posting a guide to blinking.

This thread I wrote because I was sick of seeing all these stupid one word answers that would halp someone asking advice 0%. I am just trying to help as are we all.

Dylan P.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Dylan, I agree based on a Utopian principle, but honestly, most people are just hanging out here and don't take posts terribly seriously - help when they can, otherwise can't really be bothered going through all that. I definitely didn't read your post three times.

Part of the T11 atmosphere is the informality of it though you know, and I don't think you'll ever get rid of that or implement any change like this.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
How to Write a New Thread

First, think about the topic you want to post. Is it worth it? Are you repeating something which has been stated already?

Next, think of the usefulness of your thread. Will the people you are targeting your thread at actually take the time to read the thread?

Then, if you are giving advice, make sure to take your own advice into consideration. Your point is driven home much weaker if you go against what you are preaching.

Second to last, are you attempting to change people? People generally resist change, and trying to do so will only cause arguments.

Lastly, check your nose in a mirror. Is it brown?

-ThrallMind

PS. Joking aside, Dylan...there really is no reason for a post like this...that big...on this topic. People enjoy the freedom of their ability to respond how they want here. If you don't like it, the E forums are still accepting signups last I checked. *waits for flame war to ensue*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results